flashing foliage prob

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

flashing foliage prob

Post by Remdul »

Just got my GeForce 4 4200 Ti and I'm having the same problem many encountered before.

I noticed only the polygons on which a texture with opacity map is applied flashes. I think I can track this down to the DirectX driver, maybe even hack it so a small patch could be used to fix this prob. Installing a new driver for your card can fix the problem too, but often it messes up other games/applications.
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

Hmm... I think I read somewhere that for problems like that, in the Video panel (of the game) turn the Triple Z Buffer off. Hope that helps.
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
Wajas
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by Wajas »

I think it would be great if you could make a patch Remdul...I think it's a way of making Trespasser more accessible to the next generation of computers and hardware. Good job...
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

hekll yeah! A patch would be darn sweet! Must be pretty difficult to do though... so are you sure you can handle that?

(not accusing you of anything... just think it must be a huge task to do... )
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Re: flashing foliage prob

Post by Dapper Dan »

Remdul wrote:Just got my GeForce 4 4200 Ti and I'm having the same problem many encountered before...
Remdul I just installed same card and I can't get Tres to render at all! :cry:

It still runs fine on software, but with the Geforce 4 at 800x600 (High) it crashes!

My old Gforce 256 ran Tres like a champ with 1470 driver at 800x600 (High) with no N.C.S. at all!

I joined a game of Team Fortress last night at 1024x768 and the visual improvement over the old Gforce 256 at 800x600 (the highest I could set it without freezing) was positively astounding!

I'm running a 1 gig Athelon, 128 mem.

Any ideas why mine crashes running Trespasser? I've tried several times at different resolutions with the same result.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: flashing foliage prob

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote: Remdul I just installed same card and I can't get Tres to render at all! :cry:

It still runs fine on software, but with the Geforce 4 at 800x600 (High) it crashes!

My old Gforce 256 ran Tres like a champ with 1470 driver at 800x600 (High) with no N.C.S. at all!

I joined a game of Team Fortress last night at 1024x768 and the visual improvement over the old Gforce 256 at 800x600 (the highest I could set it without freezing) was positively astounding!

I'm running a 1 gig Athelon, 128 mem.

Any ideas why mine crashes running Trespasser? I've tried several times at different resolutions with the same result.
Try running it at a lower detail setting. and try unchecking 'triple buffer' or 'page manager'
rms
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by rms »

I've run xpasser on my K7-700 + Radeon 9700, and had the menu flashing problem on initial install so bad I despaired, but after managing to get it switched to hardware acceleration it runs fine. However the framerate is little improved over my voodoo3!! I guess I am really cpu-bound in this game! That sound right? I don't recall noticing texture flashing, I'm running DX9 drivers and the DX9 beta. One thing I've been meaning to check is whether the high-resolution textures are being displayed. What's the command to switch to the town map so I can check the buildings there ?

rms
rsquires@flash.net
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Rms, if you're reference is to the level cheat, it's;

shift+crtl+Q+W-W

Video Cards: I've experienced variations myself. For instance, on my previous comp (with generic 3dcard), I was able to play Trespasser at 800 x 600 high textures. With my current comp and Nvidia chipset card, I can only go as high as 640 x 480. Anything above that, I can't get one level to load.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Oh God! Rebel, if you can't get it to work then I'm doomed! :(

Tres with hardware is just too visually fascinating to play at anything less than 800x600! :shock:

I know this sounds crazy, but, just to experiment, I'm going to intall old 1470 driver and see what happens. Y'all might find a smoldering crator where I was once sitting at my computer! :twisted:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Dan wrote;
"....Y'all might find a smoldering crator where I was once sitting at my computer!"

That's quite funny, Dan.

800 x 600 is (was) actually my screen resolution preference too, but the drivers that I'm using just refuse to go any higher than 640 x 480.

Bet, some older drivers (or even generic ones) would do the trick, but I was just too damn busy to concern myself with it.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Rebel, dig this:

1470 was the last driver that wouldn't give N.C.S. on the Gforce 256. I put the 256 on my first computer (6 gig-128 mb, 650 celeron, 32mb-ATI) with the Drivers from the New Gforce 4-128mb-4200 TI. Not only did I notice a significant improvement in performance, but the new drivers work great on the old card! It might mean that 1470 will work with the new card. At any rate, I'm going to at least try it and see.

(Where is that flaming face emoticon when I need it!)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Rebel, what Gforce card are you using?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Nothing spectacular, Dan. GeF 2, with 1242 drivers. I'm thinking of upgrading the card, though with all of this negative talk about the G4's not working for Tres, not sure that I'll bother --