Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Trespasser remakes - discussion and analysis

Post by Double_G »

I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to all Trespasser remakes in general. Not just a specific one. As we know there's been plenty of them in the past and at some point, they all die off and stop being talked about. So, let's show them some love! Feel free to update this thread with your thoughts and links to other remakes of this amazing game, regardless of their scope and state of completion. We could also discuss what went wrong and what to do differently to hopefully inspire future attempts at recreating Trespasser in modern game engines.

Let's start with the one that doesn't need an introduction.

Trespassing Petrolia
Trespassing is a Remake / Re-Telling of the 1998 game Jurassic Park: Trespasser.
The project uses the latest version of CryEngine and is currently being developed by just one person.
The Mod has been in development since 2011 on a part time basis, with initial concepts drawn up in 2007.
https://trespassingpetrolia.wordpress.com

Despite the lack of activity in the recent years, this project is still not quite dead. The latest blog entry was posted on 03/03/2020 and it mentions a game called DayZ, suggesting that the project lives on in a different form and in a different game engine. There's a lengthy but very interesting thread for those who would like to know more about this project CLICK

Trespasser VR
CLICK

A very interesting project that as far as we know is no longer being worked on.

Trespasser Resurrection

The most recent project of the bunch and the one i know the least about. It features what looks to be almost fully designed Beach with voice over triggers in place.

This project is different from the rest in that it also brought us remade intro and boot animation

Sadly, it's also been abandoned
This is a project I was working on I ended up stopping production as I lost the enjoyment of recreating this game.
The game started having lag issues in the editor making it really hard to work and really stressful to try and solve

MinePass
It's Trespasser but in Minecraft and the best part is, this project is still alive and kicking. What makes it unique is that it's trying to do something different from the rest. Instead of complex physics-based gameplay, MinePass is doubling down on approachable and familiar Minecraft experience, thus increasing the project's chances of eventually being completed
CLICK

NOT a remake by LoftySplines

It's not a remake but it's close enough! Very impressive in its own right. The author has put a lot of work into recreating a movie accurate version of the Worker Village and populated it with his own 3d assets. The Village level is a playable walking simulator that anyone can download and try

Currently the author is working on a new level
I wanted a large open level. That was a toss-up between either one of the Ascent levels or the Pine Valley/Demo level.
CLICK

There's more to read and see on the blog
https://loftysplines.wordpress.com/
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser remakes - discussion and analysis

Post by Draconisaurus »

These are great! A nice topic to post.
I was especially struck by Trespasser Resurrection. Never heard of it, and its scope is very unexpected. I like how calm the ingame footage was.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Really cool topic, nice to have it all in one place.

I think the main issue with any recreation so far in another engine is that people have done it alone. While I haven't cared that much about recreations in the past, the fact that people do it alone makes it a much bigger effort. It is a lot of work (heck, only making a mod is), and often people need to rely that one day someone with for example coding skills can join in to make everything work.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

SilverKnight's Trespasser Remake: Source Engine
https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9586
Hello there folks, i have been a member here for many years, lurking and posting whenever i was taken back to the jurassic world and game we call trespasser. I decided a few weeks ago to do something with my modding abilities and that was to do a reimagined trespasser with narrative, i decided to start with the beach level. My aim is to recreate trespasser in source.
Every image link is dead but I found one in waybackmachine
Attachments
beach_level10018.jpg
beach_level10018.jpg (322.14 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Should this include the Trespasser remakes on the Trespasser engine?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

machf wrote:Should this include the Trespasser remakes on the Trespasser engine?
Yes, definitely! Especially the ones that aim to recreate the game as it was originally envisioned and with its missing levels and features
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, those are the ones I had in mind, particularly since we just got one the other day...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, there was Trespasser Reloaded, back from the mid to late 2000s. It has it's own subforum here. The map is somewhere, might dig it out later. But its mode of recreation included a basis in covering the entire island, including the "lowlands" area inside the east terrain of BE to let the player go straight into IT.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

There was R.A.R.O. But personally I think he lacked the commitment to ever finish, or even start...
https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11531
Last edited by Isolt on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

There was R.A.R.O. But personally I think he lacked the commitment to ever finish, or even start...
Wasn't that an April Fools' Joke? :wink:

And Isolt, your link is slightly messed-up and directs us to a post from 2002.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

And Isolt, your link is slightly messed-up and directs us to a post from 2002.
Fixed now, I can't fix the fact t was an April fools joke though sadly
Stevokenevo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Stevokenevo »

I've been steadily working my way through the Beach level as a remake in Half Life: Alyx. Made quite a bit of progress this month with the mapping, animations and textures. It is all a work in progress so the majority of it looks rough.
Feedback is welcome :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I love it! That raptor AI you have is the most any Tres port has come for AI, if I'm not mistaken. JPL raptors found their way into an IJ port at one point but those did not look even slightly as the Trespasser raptors, to me. I like the night-time choice; lets the game proceed from their into the various day stages. I once set a BE remake (in Tres) at dawn-time. JR in dawn sounds fun.
SAEH_93
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by SAEH_93 »

If people are willing to contribute to Trespasser Resurrection it would be great.

Does anyone have any questions about it ?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Does anyone remember that Trespasser .bat file game? I seem to recall downloading it somewhere around here in the past...I guess that could be considered a remake, in a way. :wink:
SAEH_93 wrote:If people are willing to contribute to Trespasser Resurrection it would be great.

Does anyone have any questions about it ?
First, welcome to the forum! :)
I'm curious as to what the concept and scope of Tres: Resurrection is. Is it going for a reimagining of the original? Or is it a more original story?