Testing the water... I'm making a game.

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Skorch (Reg Issues)

Testing the water... I'm making a game.

Post by Skorch (Reg Issues) »

I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in this, though it’s not directly JP / Trespasser related, and I'll explain why.

A couple of people and I teamed up a while back to make a Half-Life Total Conversion (called "Chaos Theory") that was Jurassic Park based, but we stopped after some problems with the help and some copyright issues. Regardless, I'm starting a game of my own design with the same ideas.

It runs off the Unreal 2 Single Player engine, its gorgeous and can handle full outdoor environments with ease (using static meshes, if any of you know what that is.) I take my time with these things because they’re mostly for me and people I know to play. It takes place a bit in the future, cloning has been perfected and through whatever bad coincidence, a dinosaur breeding lab was destroyed, and the subjects released. They bred fast and overtook civilization and now are the dominant species on the planet. I'm talking like maybe 50-75 years from now so there's no laser guns or anything like that, good old fashion shotguns, Desert Eagles, the like. Well, you take the place of a twenty-something, well-educated individual going out to hunt for other living people and to discover for himself what really happened to the world. I was thinking of a ruined version of the city of London to start, if you've ever been there, it’s perfect with the underground systems.

The purpose of saying all this is to just pose the question: Are people interested? If not, that’s fine, I mean, I have ideas all the time that go nowhere. If the response is positive I may pick up a team or something, I still know a group of very talented developers. I like feedback, good or bad, so let me know what you think. Sorry to use your Trespasser forum for this for a different game, but I love Trespasser and I think this could be something any dinosaur hunting fan can appreciate. Thanks for your time.

-Skorch

P.S. If when you guys get your servers up one of the moderators could activate the "Skorch" account, that would be great, your signup server never sent me the confirmation email.

Post by Guest »

Sewer Dinosaurs.... I think that sounds pretty cool. So, somewhat on the lines of Carnivores: Cityscape?
Skorch (Reg Issues)

Well..

Post by Skorch (Reg Issues) »

Not so much sewer dinosaurs. You would be finally exiting the sewers, where you've lived for so long. You'd be finding a ruined city, overgrown by plant life and such. Think... oh, Resident Evil style city, except not flaming with the zombies and such. It's basically destroyed and repopulated by dinosaurs. It wouldnt all take place there though, I think I'd have the player travel... somehow, back to where it all began to learn the truth, also, the closer he gets to the origin, the rarer dinosaurs begin to appear with more frequency. I dont know.. It's all up in the air. I definately want to focus on a beautiful environment, as well as my prototype destructable indoor envorinments idea... like, say you are in a building, and there are raptors following you. You fire some random shots, and accidentally shoot out the lights... the lights go out... and now youre sh*t out of luck and being hunted in the dark. Blah.. I'm ranting. Take care.

-Skorch
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
-=TresCom Administrator=-
Antispam: No

Post by Nem »

Sounds cool... reminds me of dino crisis 2...
Makes me want to play the game all over again :P
machf00

Post by machf00 »

Now that you've mentioned Carnivores, I've been busy analyzing the file format the games use (not Cityscape but the earlier three games designed by Action Forms). I'm almost done with it, but since I am no programmer, I don't have a clue of how to write an editor next (don't get me wrong, I can write a program to read/write the data from the files, but I know zilch about 3-D graphics using Direct3D, OpenGL or whatever). Maybe someone here could help?