Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Kaffeebohnson
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser 2 was in development, turned into Jurassic World

Post by Kaffeebohnson »

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/stat ... 8237871104

Very interesting thread of original Trespasser Developer Seamus Blackley.

tldr: Around 2012 Seamus Blackley pitched a new game to Steven Spielberg, signs were go, then Universal Management changed, game was cancelled, parts of the pitch became the foundation of the new movie trilogy.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Trespasser 2 was in development, turned into Jurassic Wo

Post by Nick3069 »

It's a very ironic turn of events. I'm sure this story creates very mixed reactions among Trespasser fan for multiple reasons. A lot of people here seem to dislike Jurassic World, yet it was the lead of Trespasser himself who basically came up with the idea. :god: Trespasser 2 was almost a thing, but it was turned into a trilogy of movies instead. Everyone seems to complain that the Jurassic World franchise is too focused on park building/management games but the initial idea was a first person shooter.

He's talking with scallenger next month about this topic, it seems. I look forward to it.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I did know from a previous Tweet that he tried to reboot Trespasser many years ago that turned into a movie that we've all seen.

Until we get Scall's interview and hopefully some more information about this Jurassic World game, I personally don't see it as a Trespasser 2. More likely where Trespasser is the inspiration. The little Seamus tells about the concept of it is nothing like Trespasser imo. However, it clearly seems that the game concept is what made Universal to finally end their JP4 curse (with never getting an approved script). :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

A bit sad that he was unable to get around to it, but my question becomes...why? Why cancel a video game to make a movie? Those two things are in completely different realms. Very strange in my eyes - you'd think they'd make the video game in order to generate more interest in the movie. The only disappointing thing now is that if this ever game around, chances are you'd end up with it being Jurassic World-themed instead of themed after the original. I believe it is only a matter of time before they attempt another Jurassic World single-player adventure game, though I agree with tatu in that I highly doubt it would have anything to do with Trespasser.
However, it clearly seems that the game concept is what made Universal to finally end their JP4 curse (with never getting an approved script). :)
I think we also forget that Telltale's JP game came out in 2011, only a few years before Jurassic World entered production.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

This is making me really sad. As much as i agree that it wouldn't really be a direct sequel to Trespasser, it could share a lot of DNA with it or with what Tres was supposed to be, and focus more on problem solving, physics based interactions, advanced AI and emergent gameplay. In my eyes that would be enough to call it at least a spiritual successor of Trespasser. I could see that style of gameplay working in a more urban environment, but i can't imagine this game living up to its premise. I wish that someone gave Seamus all the money and time he needs, and just unleashed him to do whatever the hell he wants. I really want to know what he could come up with. I bet that it would be something truly unique
tatu

Post by tatu »

Double_G wrote:This is making me really sad. As much as i agree that it wouldn't really be a direct sequel to Trespasser, it could share a lot of DNA with it or with what Tres was supposed to be, and focus more on problem solving, physics based interactions, advanced AI and emergent gameplay. In my eyes that would be enough to call it at least a spiritual successor of Trespasser. I could see that style of gameplay working in a more urban environment, but i can't imagine this game living up to its premise. I wish that someone gave Seamus all the money and time he needs, and just unleashed him to do whatever the hell he wants. I really want to know what he could come up with. I bet that it would be something truly unique
It would be really interesting to see what type of game would come out if Seamus got the time and money to make one. As Trespasser was the final game Seamus worked on (that got a release anyway), it would be really interesting as the games he worked on back then was System Shock, Flight Unlimited and Terra Nova, all which got really high review scores back then :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Finally got around to reading this. Really nice! It does indeed sound like it has a lot of Jurassic World Dominion in it (dinos on the mainland, humans coming to terms). Still very unclear what the actual game experience would be like. Looking forward to Scall's interview.