Reshade

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

cenelle
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Re: Reshade

Post by cenelle »

I will be doing another playthrough and i plan on using your reshade preset. I kind of like the pixely, dithery look as it reminds me of how the game looks like in software mode
I've done a lot of testing and the reason I've done this is because the way I've done it is so that your brain thinks it's looking through a corrective lens - like glasses. When you wear glasses or get new ones, you get the effect of 'bilbo baggins walking into the pub'; that's your brain correcting your perception.

Depending how this feels for you - like when walking* into a building in the game and feel like you're on your hands and knees - keep playtime to about an hour and have a 5 min break.
You'll be fine however and I do know what I'm talking about! (but this is really for the moderators on Trescom because they'll know what this is doing as well).
ReShadePreset.ini
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
ReShade.ini
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
***Use these CE DX9 settings because you need to maintain 60fps and the detail transition no longer matters (which surprised me quite a bit).
Only use the Trescom Trespasser.ini as is and don't force Vsync in the GPU driver (application controlled)... found an issue (probably timing issue in the Shaders)***
Attachments
trespasser.ini
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by cenelle on Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I do enjoy how ReShade appears to bring out the colours in everything :)

Oh and thumbnails don't work on attachments, so don't worry about the big images :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
cenelle
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cenelle »

tatu wrote:I do enjoy how ReShade appears to bring out the colours in everything :)

Oh and thumbnails don't work on attachments, so don't worry about the big images :)
I have a knack for breaking things at the moment on Trescom.
Now I know how a Brachiosaur feels about it all.

I also found out from testing out a problem this morning (GMT London here) that nVidia's gpu driver forced vsycn is adding a heck of a lot of latency (1ms of something randomly a lot higher) whereas Trescom's CE DX9 Vsync isn't doing that.
With reshaders you have to keep overall latency below or at 11ms (it all depends on what PC you have, but if you're low-end, it matters).

*** Found another problem with performance. It's CMAA_2's "Performance Hack" so set it to "0" (zero) and it should be normal-er. This does mean the 11ms latency on the gpu goes to 14ms - but I can't help that unless you now also set CMAA_2 to "Low" ("0") from 1 (the performance hack is in that same advanced setting of CMAA_2). The hack seems to cause an issue even though it significantly reduces latency (bug probably).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

It's too bad no one records videos of this.
cenelle
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cenelle »

Draconisaurus wrote:It's too bad no one records videos of this.
I don't think a video would show it very well. It's something you need to be in control of and not some sort of playback.

I've improved it quite a bit and it's like you're in a different game.

The most fun you can get from the preset is jumping gaps while looking down as you approach it (and never messing it up), picking up boxes (never messing that up) and feeling like you're standing there actually doing it while feeling 4 feet tall.

It won't cause any eye issues (I've made sure it's calibrated correctly and stereoscopically - you have to be careful of that; some people could be pretty sick if you got it slightly off and you don't want that).
You can't affect colour or tint or any other enhancement because the green-shifted curve avoids those issues additively (and it's a very safe colour to use stereoscopically).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Decided to try this out, here's a quick screenshot of my Cloning Facility level with it enabled, and an older shot to compare the two:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Definitely a lot brighter, and the depth effect looks quite nice in places, especially to hide the horizon line. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in most circumstances, though - it'd probably look a bit better in a level with less colourful lighting. It's definitely too yellow in this level for my liking, but your screenshot of Ascent 1 looks much better. I find however that the depth effect you've added is too difficult to look at due to the way it is constantly re-focusing on everything around you, especially in heavily decorated levels like this one. It might be realistic, but it makes it too difficult to properly look around actively without things either being blurry or repeatedly adjusting. Needs to be restricted to only focusing when you look closely at objects rather than constantly.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:It might be realistic, but it makes it too difficult to properly look around actively without things either being blurry or repeatedly adjusting. Needs to be restricted to only focusing when you look closely at objects rather than constantly.
I'd really like to see this shader stuff in a brief video. I don't suppose you could put one up. Your screenshots of Cloning Facility are all the same-looking nature areas anyway... Or maybe a different level.
cenelle
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cenelle »

TheIdiot wrote:Decided to try this out, here's a quick screenshot of my Cloning Facility level with it enabled, and an older shot to compare the two:
Definitely a lot brighter, and the depth effect looks quite nice in places, especially to hide the horizon line. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in most circumstances, though - it'd probably look a bit better in a level with less colourful lighting. It's definitely too yellow in this level for my liking, but your screenshot of Ascent 1 looks much better. I find however that the depth effect you've added is too difficult to look at due to the way it is constantly re-focusing on everything around you, especially in heavily decorated levels like this one. It might be realistic, but it makes it too difficult to properly look around actively without things either being blurry or repeatedly adjusting. Needs to be restricted to only focusing when you look closely at objects rather than constantly.
The level/area/map you're playing isn't either creating the effect or you're making an attempt to make it poorly representative to what it does do in the original game.
The evidence is in the screenshots I've made. It really does look like that- and that's when you're not moving; which when you do makes the basic map designs feel like organic spaces.

You're downplaying the preset by using a horrifically poor pseudo-academic comparison of two screenshots that don't even match and the colour is pretty bad to begin with and wouldn't elicit the effect...
but I could fix that for you if you want and remove the intended problem directed at the preset.

I'm having a great time- but you keep pretending you're not.
TheIdiot wrote:Decided to try this out, here's a quick screenshot of my Cloning Facility level: ...
This isn't in Trescom's level/map downloads.

Play the original game maps then get back to me.
I could probably fix a new preset to work with your map but you could probably do it yourself.

The preset is slightly more refined.
Rely on the default CE dx9 configurations (I can't have it on hq but I can have a sort of super-default trespasser.ini) because I didn't realise how optimized these things are (I've always relied on nVidia's drivers (473.47 for a 660Ti)).
Brach140606.jpg
Brach140606.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1656 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Reminder: If your post doesn't contain attachment, please use the edit button!
No need for this! :)
TI is just reporting how it doesn't work with his level, which mean these settings is probably suited for the retail levels. A lot of fan levels does look more like TI's level with the colours as well.
And ReShade is personal preference anyway, which is why I personally don't use it!

I would like to see how this looks in areas like the Town or LAB myself!

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

you're making an attempt to make it poorly representative to what it does do in the original game.
I'm simply stating that I thought the depth effect was impractical for regular gameplay. This would be the case in any level; it is definitely good for screenshots but I simply cannot play the game when things are continuously blurring/un-blurring all around me.
You're downplaying the preset by using a horrifically poor pseudo-academic comparison of two screenshots that don't even match and the colour is pretty bad to begin with and wouldn't elicit the effect...
Pseudo-science? What are you talking about? It doesn't take a scientist to tell you what I said about the depth effect. There is a difference between the way your eyes work in real life and the way a character's eyes work in a video game. There needs to be a degree of compromise between the two in order to prevent problems arising with gameplay. I would be more worried about people getting headaches or motion sickness from such an effect than I would making sure it is scientifically accurate.
Where did you get that idea? I wouldn't have even bothered trying it if I didn't think it looked good in your screenshots.
the colour is pretty bad to begin with and wouldn't elicit the effect
Yeah, and I noted this when I said "it'd probably look a bit better in a level with less colourful lighting". The level wasn't designed with ReShade in mind, but I wanted to give it a go anyway to see whether it looked good or not with a more detailed level such as that one.
Right. Because it's not released yet.
As I had noticed in the screenshots, though, it definitely feels a bit too yellow in my opinion. I could try it in any level and observe this. The lighting looks good but I am not a fan of the colour correction.

There is no need to get defensive - I am only trying to help improve your work by giving you some friendly constructive feedback. You might have have preferred if I had just said "your preset sucks, it's the colour of sunflowers and hurts my eyes", but that wouldn't have gotten us anywhere, would it? So let's keep it civil, please.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

I found this preset to be a bit problematic in regards to how it handles autofocus. It keeps focusing on the wrong parts of the screen, but this might be due to BilateralCS.fx spitting out a syntax error which i don't know how to correct. Still, when it works it looks pretty decent
cenelle
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cenelle »

tatu wrote:Reminder: If your post doesn't contain attachment, please use the edit button!
No need for this! :)
TI is just reporting how it doesn't work with his level, which mean these settings is probably suited for the retail levels. A lot of fan levels does look more like TI's level with the colours as well.
And ReShade is personal preference anyway, which is why I personally don't use it!

I would like to see how this looks in areas like the Town or LAB myself!

No he isn't. He hates Reshade; not the preset.
Double_G wrote:

I found this preset to be a bit problematic in regards to how it handles autofocus. It keeps focusing on the wrong parts of the screen, but this might be due to BilateralCS.fx spitting out a syntax error which i don't know how to correct. Still, when it works it looks pretty decent
It uses a radial dof shader so if there is anything in your hand and it's in the middle of the screen, it will autofocus on that. If you move the weapon et al slightly lower, it's not a problem... but I don't believe you never tried that.

There is no BilateralCS shader in use in the preset nor are there any errors in the preset with the shaders that are in use.

This seems to be an "anti-Reshade" community.
Thank you for making that very clear to me.
TheIdiot wrote:
you're making an attempt to make it poorly representative to what it does do in the original game.
I'm simply stating that I thought the depth effect was impractical for regular gameplay. This would be the case in any level; it is definitely good for screenshots but I simply cannot play the game when things are continuously blurring/un-blurring all around me.
Pseudo-science? What are you talking about? It doesn't take a scientist to tell you what I said about the depth effect. There is a difference between the way your eyes work in real life and the way a character's eyes work in a video game. There needs to be a degree of compromise between the two in order to prevent problems arising with gameplay. I would be more worried about people getting headaches or motion sickness from such an effect than I would making sure it is scientifically accurate.
Where did you get that idea? I wouldn't have even bothered trying it if I didn't think it looked good in your screenshots.
the colour is pretty bad to begin with and wouldn't elicit the effect
Yeah, and I noted this when I said "it'd probably look a bit better in a level with less colourful lighting". The level wasn't designed with ReShade in mind, but I wanted to give it a go anyway to see whether it looked good or not with a more detailed level such as that one.
Right. Because it's not released yet.
As I had noticed in the screenshots, though, it definitely feels a bit too yellow in my opinion. I could try it in any level and observe this. The lighting looks good but I am not a fan of the colour correction.

There is no need to get defensive - I am only trying to help improve your work by giving you some friendly constructive feedback. You might have have preferred if I had just said "your preset sucks, it's the colour of sunflowers and hurts my eyes", but that wouldn't have gotten us anywhere, would it? So let's keep it civil, please.

You're lieing about what you're really thinking and then porting it to me as if I am the problem or mistaken in what you're doing. Nobody but me has talked to you like this, probably because nobody wanted to tell you in the past.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

It does help if i try to aim slightly lower, but it's no way to enjoy a game if i have to keep correcting for the shortcomings of this preset. In that case it's more valid as a way to make pretty screenshots, rather than something that could improve the gameplay experience
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu has already warned you against double-posting repeatedly. I must ask you once again - please use the "Edit" button if you want to add to your previous post. I have edited your last three posts into one.
No he isn't. He hates Reshade; not the preset.
In case you hadn't noticed, I was the first one on this forum to even attempt to use ReShade on Trespasser. So yes. Clearly I despise ReShade, that's obviously the reason that I spent a lot of time configuring and testing it myself. I don't use it anymore as I didn't find it to be enough of an improvement to warrant using it constantly; in fact, I thought my own preset was overdone. I have used ReShade in the past on other games and have found it absolutely fantastic with the right presets.
You're lieing about what you're really thinking and then porting it to me as if I am the problem or mistaken in what you're doing. Nobody but me has talked to you like this, probably because nobody wanted to tell you in the past.
Why would I lie about that? This community is very open to constructive criticism of each other's work - we all take it as advice to improve. I would be lying if I told you that I thought your behaviour about this made any sense, especially considering that others are mentioning the same points I am bringing up, and then you deny it claiming we're attacking you for reasons I do not understand. We are trying to be friendly, yet you seem to think we're all out to get you and ReShade.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I'll tell you this once cenelle - STOP. You're accusing members and the community to hate ReShade and what you are showing, and yet people have written that they like the screenshots you've posted and given you friendly constructive criticism of what they have issues with and you accuse them of lying.

Please respect our mods and even more our community members. Please respect our rules: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10328.