So, I Met Seamus Blackley...

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

So, I Met Seamus Blackley...

Post by scallenger »

I somehow forgot to tell you all this INSANE thing that happened to me last month. Check out my Jurassic Outpost article for the full details, but in short: I went to a special preview of an art exhibit for Jurassic Park's production designer Rick Carter. Me and Rick have been in correspondence due to this production I created (which included me interviewing him). So I go there, only expecting to meet him. Oh, but no... I also met the storyboard artist David Lowery and art director John Bell (both of whom I have also interviewed). So it was really surreal.

But then, just as I am talking about the production I made for Rick, and showed off a Blu-ray cover for it... someone nearby saw it, and saw the URL for my Jurassic Time site (jurassictime.trescom.org) and he suddenly said, "I think I know who you are." And so, Seamus Blackley introduced himself, as I realized I knew who he was! I didn't at first, but to be fair he was wearing a face mask!

He was amazing to talk to! We chatted for maybe close to 10 minutes? He was just very nice and had an amazing personality. And of course, at one point in our conversation, I brought up Trespasser itself and told him just how much it meant to me and to everyone like at TresCom, despite it's flaws and how it all turned out... and how for me it was "my great escape" to a world I had always wanted to go. Then, he put his hand on my shoulder, and I think either he felt emotional from me saying that or pretended to be (haha), and thanked me for my words. The event was a pretty big party with other people around (I also bumped into the production designer of E.T., for example), so we both parted not long after that. But wow... meeting Seamus was definitely a highlight to what was a really insane experience for me.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: So, I Met Seamus Blackley...

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh man! That is some nice luck. I actually already saw that article and posted here about the full-resolution "Guernica", but didn't get through the whole page. That sounds like a really nice time. Has a TresCom member ever met a dev in person before this? :O
tatu

Post by tatu »

That is amazing! I think it is easy to write something online how something it is so important to them, but it feels more when someone tells you it :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Great for someone from TresCom to finally let him know how much this game means to all of us. I'm certain he must have been genuinely glad to hear what you told him, after Tres recieved so much backlash which still persists to this day. Seamus always came off as the kind of guy who appreciates fans of his work, so you meeting him and telling him that this little community so strongly enjoys something which many have shunned must have meant a lot to him. :D
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

That is awesome, thanks for sharing :D
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Cool. Trespasser clearly meant a lot to Seamus, it was his baby and it's considered one of his big career failures, so I'm sure he appreceated you telling him how much you love his game.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

That is pretty damn cool, Scal. Would have loved to pick his brain about tres, but I imagine he probably wouldn't be too keen on that. I met a few
celebs in my life, Ali McGraw, Jane Fonda, the Skynyrd boys, but my favorite was Bill Shatner. He was funnier that hell. I got a pic of me, him and
my nephew together (I really should hang it up on my wall sometime).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Someone in the TresCom Discord just linked this, thought it wouldn't be right for it to be missing from the forum -
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... gIlkxqkJVc
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just read this. Good for you, scallenger!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Great interview, I can't wait for parts 2 and 3.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Amazing interview. So fun to hear more about their experience than typical game-technical questions :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I learned so many things I either never knew or forgot, it was great! That ending got me going, too - what an absolute beautiful gesture.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Part 2 is now up, which starts with his time making XBOX leading up to the unmade Jurassic World game, and its pitch trailer in HD for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjIWIoPhkbI
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I do remember seeing that trailer, or a part of it, at some point. No clue where or when, though. Great to see it in this quality now :) Everything else was new to me, thanks for a great second round :D You forgot the LEGO Jurassic game, though :wink: