JPDS with CE support

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

JPDS with CE support

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Here it is available for use in the CE engine.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3vu8whdx ... S.rar/file
Installation instructions:
1. Make a mods folder if you don't have one already. place the .rar file into the mods folder. Now if you have it good if not download WinRar or 7zip in order to open .rar files.
2, right click in the .rar file and click "extract here". The file is in a folder already. If you click extract the folder will be inside another folder labeled JPDS. If you did this on accident, open the folder and pull the proper JPDS folder out of it and put it in the mods directory.
3. Keep in mind you will need to set up a TP_mod.ini file if you haven't already. As this is set up to use it.
This comes with the Trespasser Starter kit that MiketheRaptor made. Unfortunately, I cannot link this at the moment because the site appears to be down for some reason.
Now add "ActiveFM=JPDS" without the quotes obviously. If you have another ActiveFM currently just put a semi-colin in front of it to comment it out so the game registers the JPDS one instead. Save your changes and there you go. it should launch the game into JPDS if done properly.

Notes and important information:

Took me a bit to do this but now the game fully functions. btw it seems some features of the MAPS folder actually still work such as the level loading screens (though they don't readjust to resolutions properly. If you wanna fix this by adding them to the FM file feel free. I kinda left them alone.

Despite the belief, the Canyon jump, (that I believe theidiot or someone said this was impossible but they were wrong) is able to be done. In fact I have a video of it being pulled off in the CE engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0EE3s6nXHs

Now the reason it doesn't always work has a lot to do with the game's physics and how unpredictable an item falling can be. I recommend saving in this spot as a lot can go wrong with the physics of this puzzle (and many other physics based puzzles for that matter). And actually, this issue is also present in the ATX engine as I tested it there first.

As for what doesn't work, the HUD and Map functions are the main thing. Now there IS a way to get HUDS working but from what Tatu told me it's kinda convoluted and difficult. Everything else should work though. The fact you don't have a HUD though means you will be unable to track how much ammo your current weapon has (granted there aren't a lot of weapons in JPDS levels anyway and they're almost never full, so you aren't missing out on much)

There is another issue I came across and that's that sometimes saving will crash the game and corrupt your save. If this happens just delete all your saves and try saving again. Eventually it SHOULD work. I did find it helps to load a different level for some reason. I'm not sure why this happens.

As for why you would use this over the ATX engine version...well, it performs better for one, and for another reason the ATX engine does not work well on windows 10 (not sure about 8 but I DO know it works on 7) While testing on the ATX engine prior to doing this I noticed it was a lot more prone to crashes. especially in places where I know it worked on my windows 7 rig.

I would say overall the mod is 90% playable in the CE engine. Though, just a heads up for any newbies playing it, the mod was never finished. as a result there is no ending and only about three of the levels are what we could call "mostly finished". Despite this, the mod is still really playable. anyway trescom enjoy.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: JPDS with CE support

Post by Draconisaurus »

:nerd: Thanks Glitch. JPDS has been a bit overdue for compatibility update. It is sad that the MAP cheat won't work, but benefits like being able to record playthroughs or stream are pretty nice.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Until Open Trespasser gets to a point where it is able to implement such features, it's the best we got. Right now Open Tres is the engine to wait on as it's being actively worked on by multiple people using the Trespasser source. For now though just keep CE around because it's gonna be a while before Open Tres reaches that mark.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I heard that Open Tres hadn't been worked on for... a long time. Over a year?
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

seems like the project is mostly dead now yeah. Could be it's on a haitus though.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Nice! I actually have an unreleased JPDS CE edit that also includes a HUD, but I wanted to patch the remaining issues first. I'd also extended the draw distance way out since CE can handle it much better than ATX and recreated the unused sky using CE's sky feature. If I were going to release this I'd actually add some triggers to make the fog close in the further down in elevation you go so you still get that original foggy atmosphere. I think the map feature should be achievable as well using the unimplemented map script Lee made for RTJP, although I'm aware it functions slightly differently. I was actually playing around with this a while ago and was considering finishing it up if I can find some time:
Image Image Image Image Image
glitchhunter09 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:52 pm Despite the belief, the Canyon jump, (that I believe theidiot or someone said this was impossible but they were wrong) is able to be done. In fact I have a video of it being pulled off in the CE engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0EE3s6nXHs
Now the reason it doesn't always work has a lot to do with the game's physics and how unpredictable an item falling can be. I recommend saving in this spot as a lot can go wrong with the physics of this puzzle (and many other physics based puzzles for that matter). And actually, this issue is also present in the ATX engine as I tested it there first.
I've also since managed to do it in CE, but there is also a chance that you simply die when it propels you. ATX had different physics as well so it's possible that the player only gets launched a shorter distance than necessary.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Don't forget to make proper WTD files and reposition everything before a CE release ;)

So people say JPDS acted different in ATX. I do wonder if physics is somewhat tied to the FPS in a way, as CE allows higher FPS and Trespasser was locked to 20? Would be interesting with some testing to see the difference. Or it might be that Lee "fixed" some issues with it, which might be why physics makes the game crash less in CE.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

tatu wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:02 pm Don't forget to make proper WTD files and reposition everything before a CE release ;)
yeah that's not happening. Also The maps are fine as is. If someone really wants the position of things fixed in the maps they can do it. it was a pain enough getting everything running properly on CE.
TheIdiot wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:40 am Nice! I actually have an unreleased JPDS CE edit that also includes a HUD, but I wanted to patch the remaining issues first. I'd also extended the draw distance way out since CE can handle it much better than ATX and recreated the unused sky using CE's sky feature. If I were going to release this I'd actually add some triggers to make the fog close in the further down in elevation you go so you still get that original foggy atmosphere. I think the map feature should be achievable as well using the unimplemented map script Lee made for RTJP, although I'm aware it functions slightly differently. I was actually playing around with this a while ago and was considering finishing it up if I can find some time:
Image Image Image Image Image
glitchhunter09 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:52 pm Despite the belief, the Canyon jump, (that I believe theidiot or someone said this was impossible but they were wrong) is able to be done. In fact I have a video of it being pulled off in the CE engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0EE3s6nXHs
I've also since managed to do it in CE, but there is also a chance that you simply die when it propels you. ATX had different physics as well so it's possible that the player only gets launched a shorter distance than necessary.
It was actually inconsistent with the ATX patch as well when I tried it. I don't think it's so much that the engines are different as it is that just like real life you can't accurately predict the physics of anything. Remember Malcom's waterfall experiment in the first movie? It's essentially that in a nutshell when it comes to physics in the game. Also feel free to use my set up as a base if you want. I couldn't get the HUD working. Even in retail levels, Trespasser's physics behave in unpredictable ways.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I remember FPS around 30 in ATX... Might be as high as it ever went at the time?

TI, that sky looks great.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:02 pm Don't forget to make proper WTD files and reposition everything before a CE release ;)
Hey, isn't that your area of expertise? :P
Draconisaurus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:49 pm I remember FPS around 30 in ATX... Might be as high as it ever went at the time?
Didn't ATX have a framerate limit feature? I seem to recall playing it at 60 FPS, but I might be wrong. The framerate could definitely affect the physics, but we also have to remember that Tres doesn't run on the same kind of physics engines we use now, like Havok. It's probably coded in some totally unique way so this might not make as big a difference as it would in other games.
Draconisaurus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:49 pm TI, that sky looks great.
:D Thanks! I think the cirrus clouds were mostly taken from your unused sky texture. Definitely needs to be a bit foggier, but I wanted the mountain in Plains to be visible from the start. I think it's really cool being able to spot landmarks like that from a long distance and then slowly make your way over there, you get a serious sense of scale seeing the level like that. But I would still script in the fog to get denser the lower you go in altitude.
Honestly I still think it would be possible to recreate the original JPDS1 as a single level, having worked with tatu on the Isla Sorna levels. But I wouldn't touch it until the WTD is fixed first anyway.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:37 pm
yeah that's not happening. Also The maps are fine as is. If someone really wants the position of things fixed in the maps they can do it.
Sounds like fun...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files