The Trespasser Frontier (A Tres Blog)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: The Trespasser Frontier (A Tres Blog)

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Rest assured both have plenty of rust on them. They've all been sitting outdoors for a year or more.
Why would the Jeeps become completely covered in rust though, while the Unimogs and Humvees are still largely un-rusted? A degree of wear is to be expected (the vehicles are abandoned in a rainforest, after all) but it seems a bit excessive for the entire vehicle to have changed colour significantly like that.
This seems more like some kind of deliberate modification on the developer's part to me. Maybe something to do with palette limitations?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I wonder why the white ones have NO rust. Those open top Jeeps are just white and grey.
Attachments
OpenJeepNoRust.png
OpenJeepNoRust.png (709.28 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I've never thought about the jeeps having rust and that is why they have the colours. For the green jeep I just figured it probably didn't fit colour-wise with the levels. I personally don't think it is a palette reason, might've just been a choice to make them look more in line with the environment :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

For why those green Jeeps have multiple versions in retail, I figure it's from the devs being on different pages with assets, and possibly the rushed final months.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:For why those green Jeeps have multiple versions in retail, I figure it's from the devs being on different pages with assets, and possibly the rushed final months.
Could they have worked with different versions and sometimes accidentally overwrite the work of a different dev? I got this feeling with the start of Ascent 2. I mean the supply locker with the weapon. I can't remember the versions exactly, but then it's not there, then it's there, and then it's not there anymore. I know it was in the guide and in a version prior to retail.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm reading the dev documents at this time. There is a fair amount of description telling devs how to manage the asset submission file structures, etc. I imagine sometimes it didn't go right, or they decided to skip steps when the deadline got near.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

To me, the white jeep looks realistically rusty. You can clearly see where the paint has been worn off in places - look all over the hood. The brown/green one looks off on the other hand...like something went wrong with the paint scheme. I guess without a more clear picture of the game's development, we'll never know!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

My next blog entry, enjoyed writing it: The Oceans of Trespasser.

https://thetrespasserfrontier.tumblr.co ... trespasser
Attachments
Blog_OceanAS1.png
Blog_OceanAS1.png (673.46 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm surprised you didn't mention the beta levels more as well, like PV, or the structure of said oceans...I feel like there could be some speculation as to why the oceans are the shape that they are. Also, it's worth noting that the ocean level seems to change between levels, which makes sense considering the tides. However it is a bit odd when you combine all of the levels together that the ocean level seems to drop dramatically between BE and LAB. I'm guessing the reason for the big muddy area beneath the docks in LAB is an attempt to prevent the player from seeing under the water if they fall down.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

My next blog post, The Industrial Cuban Fells.

https://thetrespasserfrontier.tumblr.co ... uban-fells
Attachments
TPF_GorgeRetail.png
TPF_GorgeRetail.png (331.01 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

Nice work Drac, I never even realised you could use those trees
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That Blighted Forest/gorge jump thing will make an apperance eventually. It's too cool to ignore.

It is worth noting that much of the stuff mentioned in the walkthrough was cut even by the early versions of the game, but you can still find many of those ideas either partially implemented or at least indicated by their locations. The lincoln logs puzzle for instance is actually there, but is impossible and can be skipped using a log instead. Still, would be cool to see whether any of these early ideas for physics puzzles could be implemented at all.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

My next blog entry is finished. I decided some more attention was wanting on the unrecorded voicelines and the details of the game's original concept they gave. Site B layout seemed like the best choice.

https://thetrespasserfrontier.tumblr.co ... e-b-layout
Attachments
IslaDelCocosMap.png
IslaDelCocosMap.png (452.86 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

Another great post Drac
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That map of Sorna and the Five Deaths that you posted is actually very interesting as it seemingly depicts the other islands in the chain as well, not just Sorna. It seems the rest of the islands don't match the film's depiction, either, and are actually very small, especially considering that Isla Sorna in Tres is only about 5km long. Makes me wonder again whether that texture containing an image of an island in that one trailer mesh is really their interpretation of Isla Nublar. :wink: