Trespasser with CE - No Textures at all

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

PETC
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser with CE - No Textures at all

Post by PETC »

First off, if this is in the wrong place please let me know or feel free to move it. I've seen other threads like mine in here before so it looked like the right place to me.

I recently learned about the "new" CE patch and wanted to play through the game again using it. I followed the install instructions when installing on my laptop and all went smoothly. The game ran with textures and I played through the first level just fine.

When I got home from work I decided to install it on my PC as well and followed the same directions. I didn't figure there would be any issues since both my laptop and my PC have Intel CPUs, Nvidia GPUs and are both running Windows 10. I've now tried to install it and the patch every different way I can think of and yet every time I boot the game up there are no textures at all. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Steps:

1. Take all the files/folders from the CD and put them in a folder on my drive in a permanent location.
IE: E:\TresCD

2. Install via Setup95 (as an administrator) and install DirectX6. Installed to: E:\Jurassic Park Trespasser

3. Open the CE patch zip file and then open the zip file within that and drag its contents to the root directory of the game.

4. Go to the docs folder, take the HQ config ini and put it in the root directory.

5. Delete the original ini and rename the new one to match.

6. Direct the registry key to the correct folder where a copy of the CDs contents are stored

7. Launch tpassp6.exe (as an administrator)

8. New Game (No textures)

9. Set Enable10bitDisplay=False then launch game (same result)

It should be noted I've also tried installing directly from the CD and not copying the files to a folder on the drive. IE: The game won't launch without the CD inserted. Same result. No textures.

Sorry for the wall of text, and if there's a simple solution to this problem that would be great, if there's a complicated solution to this problem that's cool too. If there's no solution to this problem then that's a bummer, I guess I'm restricted to playing on my laptop. Either way I really appreciate any help you guys could provide me.

Cheers,

A fan from the start, PETC
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser with CE - No Textures at all

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

When you boot the New Game, does it load a level where you see objects without textures (usually all grey), or is it just a black screen?
If it is a black screen, it means the game doesn't find the level files.

To give you an easy solution (without a possibly fix for your issue) would be to download this:
https://www.trescom.org/download/trespa ... arter-kit/
It is a portable release of the game with both the ATX and CE patch which is not depended on the registry entries. MikeTheRaptor did this one. He included a Readme on how to move over the level files from the CD.
I'd recommend this personally.
It should be noted I've also tried installing directly from the CD and not copying the files to a folder on the drive. IE: The game won't launch without the CD inserted. Same result. No textures.
It is possible this won't work unless you uninstall your previous install first. And on Windows 10, sometimes the registry won't be cleared so the old config is still present.

Oh, and make sure to install this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109
DirectX 6 is not needed on any modern OS as Windows comes with it anyway. However, sometimes you need to reinstall the DX9 Runtimes to fix some issues even though Windows 10 has them. Trespasser CE requires 9. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
PETC
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by PETC »

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated! I'll give that a shot for sure.

To clarify: All objects load properly. It's the game, and is totally playable, just all grey and no textures on any objects.
PETC
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by PETC »

So I got that download running and tried some of the modded levels. Textures were all there and good. Then I followed the instructions to copy the data folder to the mods/trespasser folder and then edited the tp_mod.ini file and made the ActiveFM=trespasser booted the game and there was no option to play the original game, only the modded levels just like before. I looked through the mod folders and all the mods that were available to play had an "fm.ini" file inside that set some config options and more importantly told the game what level to start first. The Trespasser folder did not have an fm.ini file and I can't find one anywhere. Any ideas? Thanks again.

If all it needs to run is to be directed to the first level I could build that file easily enough, problem is I have no idea which filename in the data folder corelates to the first level.

EDIT: NM, my mistake. I was editing the comment line like an idiot. Works now and is displaying textures properly. Cheers!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Glad you got it to work.

You don't need a fm.ini file in order to play a mod. The first game level would be "BE", so when you run it in Tres2020, you would run "BE.SCN" in the list of levels to pick from. :)

As for the grey texture issue. That is usually the cause of the game being installed in Program Files and not run as admin, which doesn't seem to be something you've done. It is often a result of the game folder not having permission to write to folder, but running in admin mode usually fixes that, but no idea why that doesn't work for you!

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
PETC
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by PETC »

I ran into that permissions problem when I first installed the game on my PC. That's why I ended up re-installing it outside of the programs folder. What's weird is that when I followed the same instructions on my laptop I put the game into my programs folder and it worked just fine. Either way this version you linked me seems to be working just fine and I'm not going to question why old broken games do the things that they do, I'm just glad that I can enjoy it now.

Thanks a bunch for your help. I truly appreciate it. Plus now I'm set up to try some of the modded levels. Never done that before.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Trespasser tends to act very different on each PC and laptop. Even fan levels appear to be more stable on some system while on others they are more unstable.

Glad Mike's kit worked. Portable is also better as you can easily just backup the whole folder and move it anywhere. Enjoy. ;)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, PETC, to Trespasser Community! We enjoy when fans of the game come around to say hi. I'm glad you got to use Mike's Trespasser2020 release. It's the thing to use for newbs and others, with some great accompanying mods if you're interested. We hope you like it here.