Trespasser CE Troubleshooting DirectX Runtime's Missing

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

It'sEmpty
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser CE Troubleshooting DirectX Runtime's Missing

Post by It'sEmpty »

Hey guys, so I have a problem I got the trespasser CE patch and everything changed the config file the game launches fine on it's own without the CE patch but the CE patch launch won't launch the game it just gets stuck with a blank window the opening sequence does not play and I have to force it closed from my task manager it just won't launch

Please guys I can't explain how important it is for me to play this game any help would be appreciated

It is also a fresh install of windows 10 running on a VM on KVM that should not have anything to do with it but I can imagine something is not installed I am running linux so I can't run the game natively

EDIT:It has something to do with direct x user runtime's I installed the runtime's but the game still will not launch

2ND EDIT: I copied the d3dx9_43.dll into the game directory and checked it in my SYSWOW64 folder and it is there but the game still tells me that it is missing if anyone can help me with this it would be appreciated
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Trespasser CE Troubleshooting DirectX Runtime's Missing

Post by Nick3069 »

Last time I tried running Trespasser in a Windows VM, it didn't run. That was a long time ago though.

Which distro of Linux are you running? Some distros have better gaming support like POP!_OS. You might be able to run Trespasser in Linux using Proton.
It'sEmpty
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by It'sEmpty »

Nick3069 wrote:Last time I tried running Trespasser in a Windows VM, it didn't run. That was a long time ago though.

Which distro of Linux are you running? Some distros have better gaming support like POP!_OS. You might be able to run Trespasser in Linux using Proton.
I will try using proton as wine is not working :sick: let us see if it works had no idea you could launch third party games from proton
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Welcome to the site! :)

I'm largely unfamiliar with VMs and Linux in general, but I had a friend try to get it working and it seemed that it was just "one of those games" as she couldn't get it working either. I believe this was also on Wine. CE can sometimes be finnicky with the settings so it might be some function in trespasser.ini set incorrectly.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I just setup Trespasser on my Manjaro Linux machine and it runs impressively well with just standard WINE, no Proton.
Here is what I did:
-If you haven't already, install WINE, either from the add-remove software tool or using the "sudo apt install wine64" command line.
-Download and unzip the official Trespasser demo. (I unzipped it on the desktop.) https://www.trescom.org/download/offici ... sser-demo/
-Download and unzip Trespasser CE into the demo folder. (Don't forget the D3DX9_43.DLL.) https://www.trescom.org/download/trespasser-ce-patch/
-Copy the contentents of the data folder on the Trespasser CD to the demo's data folder, overwrite.
-Run tpassp6.exe with WINE and go through the first time setup.
-Enjoy!
It'sEmpty
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by It'sEmpty »

Nick3069 wrote:I just setup Trespasser on my Manjaro Linux machine and it runs impressively well with just standard WINE, no Proton.
Here is what I did:
-If you haven't already, install WINE, either from the add-remove software tool or using the "sudo apt install wine64" command line.
-Download and unzip the official Trespasser demo. (I unzipped it on the desktop.) https://www.trescom.org/download/offici ... sser-demo/
-Download and unzip Trespasser CE into the demo folder. (Don't forget the D3DX9_43.DLL.) https://www.trescom.org/download/trespasser-ce-patch/
-Copy the contentents of the data folder on the Trespasser CD to the demo's data folder, overwrite.
-Run tpassp6.exe with WINE and go through the first time setup.
-Enjoy!
Thanks! I will try this out soon and update if it works

UPDATE:THE GAME FINALLY RUNS ON WINE THANK YOU NICK! now ATX won't boot which is frustrating I prefer it for the jumping dinosaurs but that is beside the point thank you nick
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome ItsEmpty to Jurassic Trespasser. :statue:

Glad you got assistance. Sorry to hear ATX doesn't work for you now! Those jumping raptors are nice to see. If you can't figure it out, there are some cool alt-jumping raptors in Tatu's "Isla Sorna" mod, where he's upgraded and combined versions of the first 2 and a half levels into one.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Hi guys, I'm back. lol. So happy to see there's still an interest in running Trespasser in Linux. First time I got it running under wine was way back in 2003, I believe. I thought I'd pop in and report on proton, but am really happy to see from this thread that you guys are already experimenting with it. As reported, it runs great on regular wine(64), but I wanted to see if I could get it working through Steam proper. It's a bit challenging, but it does install and work, but under HAL, still getting the slow down when certain objects come into view. I have it working perfectly under regular wine(64) and latest proton, but couldn't figure out how to get it working as well under Steam. This morning, I copied the Trespasser directory from my .wine folder and pasted it into: .local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/(this number will be different with yours)/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/DreamWorks Interactive/ and it works as well now under Steam as it does running through regular wine. "CE" for me, works flawlessly. ATX also works well. I'm running Debian Testing.
Attachments
Tpass_ce_3_.png
Tpass_ce_3_.png (574.03 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
tpass2_ce_.png
tpass2_ce_.png (943.73 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
Tpass_ce_1.png
Tpass_ce_1.png (747.63 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Long time Dan! Glad to see CE works in Linux. I don't believe we've had many people using Linux over the years, but glad it is working at least. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Good to see you, Dan. You're like Betelgeuse (AKA Beetlejuice), saying Linux 3 times summons you. :P

I couldn't get Trespasser to run on Steam, but I didn't spend too much time trying and if it runs better on standard WINE, then you're better off sticking with that, unless you want to use Steam Link or some other unorthodox use case.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Hello Dan :) Nice to see you!

As Tatu said, it's infrequent that someone tries to run Trespasser on Linux, but when they do, my first thought is "DapperDan."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Dapper Dan wrote:Hi guys, I'm back. lol. So happy to see there's still an interest in running Trespasser in Linux. First time I got it running under wine was way back in 2003, I believe. I thought I'd pop in and report on proton, but am really happy to see from this thread that you guys are already experimenting with it. As reported, it runs great on regular wine(64), but I wanted to see if I could get it working through Steam proper. It's a bit challenging, but it does install and work, but under HAL, still getting the slow down when certain objects come into view. I have it working perfectly under regular wine(64) and latest proton, but couldn't figure out how to get it working as well under Steam. This morning, I copied the Trespasser directory from my .wine folder and pasted it into: .local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/(this number will be different with yours)/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/DreamWorks Interactive/ and it works as well now under Steam as it does running through regular wine. "CE" for me, works flawlessly. ATX also works well. I'm running Debian Testing.
Hey, Dan, glad to see you! Don't be a stranger!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

...Says the guy who doesn't come around much currently. :yum:

I know I know loading times. There's gotta be a way to fix it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:...Says the guy who doesn't come around much currently. :yum:
Ah, but don't forget that machf has said it before himself - he's a notorious lurker. :wink:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:...Says the guy who doesn't come around much currently. :yum:

I know I know loading times. There's gotta be a way to fix it.
Hey, I may have been having problems over the last few months, but we hadn't seen Dan around here in a few years...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files