OpenTres(A complete clone not just the engine)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Hsingai
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

OpenTres(A complete clone not just the engine)

Post by Hsingai »

I got Trespasser because as game developer I was interested in the tech(The no GUI, the arm control, the imposters, the bump mapped, the real time foley) and loveed the story/storytelling the first time I played it.

I want to make a spiritual successor to Trespasser.

he pie-in-the-sky concept for OpenTres is an engine combining Drakan style exteriors with Doom-style interiors with no levels, non-voxel based in game modifiable terrain, a complete rigid-body physics simulation, and behaviorally-simulated and physics-modeled dinosaurs. The underlying design goal is to achieve a realistic feel through consistency of looks and behavior.

The art style will be a retro cutting edge of the Millennium, with the mantra "Limited but rich". The whole thing should fit on a 650mb CD and operate over 64kbps internet connection

Since we don't encourage piracy It will have to be a complete remake not just an engine clone and since we can't use the old assists there is no reason to use the old file formats

My plan is to use Catmull-Clark subsurfs with creases to give it that dreamcast quadratic quads instead of triangles look and play with the MIPmaping so that it doesn't use a level that will have a screenspace resolution higher than what Trespasser. That is only for Normal, background objects. objects that are important for the game will be render without the creases and at full resolution textures.

OpenTres is more of a fringe benefit, my job is developing the engine tech for our main MMO which is going to by AGPL so contributions will have to GPL3(or GPL2+) or a non viral Open Source license.

I'm thinking of using Godot as it has the most support(in terms of development and in community and in documentation) of the open source game engines.

I have a budget of $100USD a month for the MMO and If I get the grant this year I'll have an extra $4000 over all my current plans for spending it on(It' penciled in as hire developers/artists to make the game better).
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: OpenTres(A complete clone not just the engine)

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

We welcome any idea and work to port Trespasser and specially a multiplayer version.

You might wanna use a different name however. Using Open in the name indicate it tries to recreate the engine and use the OG file formats. There is also already another project called OpenTrespasser that is updating the leaked source to work on modern PCs with 64-bit support etc. https://github.com/OpenTrespasser/Juras ... respasser/

I hope to see more of this. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Sounds intriguing. I'm gonna pay close attention to this thread
Hsingai
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Hsingai »

tatu wrote:Using Open in the name indicate it tries to recreate the engine and use the OG file formats.
Point 1:
The two political camps in the free software community are the free software movement and open source. The free software movement is a campaign for computer users' freedom; we say that a nonfree program is an injustice to its users. The open source camp declines to see the issue as a matter of justice to the users, and bases its arguments on practical benefits only.

While LibreTres would be more accurate in the gaming community jargon it's says I'm doing It's campaigning for users' freedom. while OpenTres says I'm

Point 2:
OpenTres isn't a gaming project what happens to be FLOSS it's a FLOSS project that happens to be a game.

Point 3:
Linguistics have settled the prescriptive vs. Descriptive debate.
I'm not sure I want to allow "Open" to take on a meaning that isn't related to the "Open" in "Open standards", "Open science", or "Open software"

I guess I could be clever and name it "OpwnTres"
tatu

Post by tatu »

I'm confused. I was just pointing it out as there is another project called OpenTres already.
If you're gonna call something OpenTres which is supposed to be a clone but not really (based on your description), people are going to be confused and think it is about the game Trespasser.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

FLOSS game projects that start with "Open" are usually reverse enginered recreations that use the same file formats as the original game. OpenTTD, OpenRCT2, OpenRA, and OpenMW all either require or are compatible with their base game assets. What you describe sounds more like an open source Trespasser reimagining. I agree with tatu, the name doesn't really fit and will lead to confusion with the existing OpenTrespasser project. Now don't get me wrong, your project sounds very interesting, but maybe call it something else like Project Intruder or Project Interloper.