Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Melee weapons

Post by TheIdiot »

Deadeyeguy_45
Anything you can pick up and swing can be a good melee weapon in Tres. It seems the key is to sort of use as much momentum as possible when trying to collide the object with the dinosaur, so advancing into the attack while swinging tends to do the most damage, especially if you do it in a way that causes interpolation. Throwing is decent as well if you hit them in the head, or if they trip on the object and send its physics haywire. I've managed to pummel many a Raptor to death with all sorts of things, including recently a detatched door which I picked up and held flat so that the Raptor ran its head into the side of the door (was trying to use it as a shield, which worked briefly), which caused a "bloodsplosion" and sent the Raptor flying.
wei777
:D I bet you can crush a T. Rex with that thing if you do it right!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Deadeyeguy_45 wrote:Then hold spacebar for less than a second when a raptor comes close. As constantly holding spacebar does not create enough power to do damage most of the time. Whereas doing a one time bash per creates a much more predictable outcome.
Huh oh!... That's pretty helpful, thanks. Been training up melee in recent times, and was getting upset with so much swinging.
TheIdiot wrote:Anything you can pick up and swing can be a good melee weapon in Tres. It seems the key is to sort of use as much momentum as possible when trying to collide the object with the dinosaur, so advancing into the attack while swinging tends to do the most damage, especially if you do it in a way that causes interpolation. Throwing is decent as well if you hit them in the head, or if they trip on the object and send its physics haywire. I've managed to pummel many a Raptor to death with all sorts of things,
Hmm I'll have to try this out sometime. As well I never practiced throwing objects for damage, as I never really believed it was a reliable option... maybe from how slow a thrown object moves? I'm glad it does actually work.

including recently a detatched door which I picked up and held flat so that the Raptor ran its head into the side of the door (was trying to use it as a shield, which worked briefly), which caused a "bloodsplosion" and sent the Raptor flying.
Haha awesome.
:D I bet you can crush a T. Rex with that thing if you do it right!
Ohhh? I've never thought of such a thing. Do you have a similar experience you're thinking of?
Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

I still want to try and kill a raptor with a keycard, apparently some thread on here from way back had some guy do it once. How he managed to do it I have no idea. But anything is possible in this game!
In 2012, I was abused by a Weird Al lookalike. :nerd: :cry:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Likewise someone here (or the Discord?) once posted that they became surrounded and without amunition, and so used the only tool left - the arm sticking straight out. Somehow it worked as melee damage.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hmm I'll have to try this out sometime. As well I never practiced throwing objects for damage, as I never really believed it was a reliable option... maybe from how slow a thrown object moves? I'm glad it does actually work.
Seems to have something to do with the velocity of the object, yes. Rocks tend to work very well. I believe all melee damage is caused by the object's velocity - what the actual Damage value does I'm unsure as it seems the object either does very little damage or instantly kills the dinosaur.
Ohhh? I've never thought of such a thing. Do you have a similar experience you're thinking of?
Yes, actually, quite a few in my time building stuff... :P CAnimals are prone to being flattened by objects which are large enough to push down on their legs. During testing for RTJP I recall having the shell of one of hppav's Explorers fly into the air and smush a T. Rex.
Deadeyeguy_45 wrote:I still want to try and kill a raptor with a keycard, apparently some thread on here from way back had some guy do it once. How he managed to do it I have no idea. But anything is possible in this game!
Draconisaurus wrote:Likewise someone here (or the Discord?) once posted that they became surrounded and without amunition, and so used the only tool left - the arm sticking straight out. Somehow it worked as melee damage.
I believe it, anything with mass can potentially be lethal due to the way the physics work. It only takes them rubbing against each other in the wrong way to cause severe damage. The keycard definitely works as I have managed to kill dinosaurs in the past by charging into them with various objects, usually while they're pinned against other objects which causes the physics to "sandwich" and cause damage. The same goes for when you try and do things like construct a house of cards with objects and then climb on top of them, causing the player to suffer extreme damage and send all of the objects flying.
The arm is one I haven't seen before as it always seems to absorb any force applied to it. But if the hand physics box got caught in the dinosaur's head, it's likely possible.
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

I get that trespassers physics are a bit off but it's funny how Anne swings it if you hold spacebar :mrgreen: