Fully boxed UK edition of Trespasser - should I buy?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Should I buy an original copy of Trespasser?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:50 am

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 5

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Fully boxed UK edition of Trespasser - should I buy?

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm......, I can believe that people are using the cards as a way to have emotional support. That seems very relevant.
tresmeister
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by tresmeister »

TheIdiot wrote:Yeah, tresmeister couldn't have said it any better. The interesting thing to note about genres of entertainment considered "classics" today is that in fifty years, some of those things will not be classics anymore as there will be nobody who really grew up with these things. Of course there are timeless exceptions to this, the things which are passed down and enjoyed over the generations, which to me are the true examples of "classics".

Ah, I forgot to say, tresmeister - welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks for the welcome!

Completely agree with your post. I was in my teen years through the latter half of the 90s, so it was my generation that grew up with - in my opinion - the last of the golden age of entertainment and pop culture, across games, movies and TV (and music/most other arts). At least here in the West.

Soon into the noughties and everything seemed to sell out, creativity was killed in the name of risk and profits, and politics ended up sterilising culture - something that has accelerated these past 10 years.

Perhaps that is why my generation now looks back on the 90s with such nostalgia, and there is increasing interest in retro gaming as we head towards middle-age, as the last chance to "relive" our youth before major life commitments start consuming time and resources.

Maybe that is why so many of these old - primarily 1990s - games are now being sold and at high prices, because the younger (or older) generations won't know about them, nor even care.

And as my generation gets older, then we too will no longer care about paying top dollar for retro gaming, as it's another phase that will pass with time... Everyone who grew up in the 90s is cashing in with nostalgic artefacts, hence why Trespasser is being sold for £500 in some cases .
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mmm yeah. Also, I should caution that the notion of people wishing to spend time with these things "before major life commitments start consuming time and resources" may be less of a significant presence than you think. I've seen a lot about the trend of modern folk extending digital gaming and such further into their adult lives over time, to the point where they are doing it their whole life. It's unclear what portion of the population actually decides to eventually put these things down and not pick them back up.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:I've seen a lot about the trend of modern folk extending digital gaming and such further into their adult lives over time, to the point where they are doing it their whole life. It's unclear what portion of the population actually decides to eventually put these things down and not pick them back up.
I don't follow?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Uh well. I seem to remember a comment in a Michael Crichton novel that, even years ago while he was writing, there was a growing new trend described as "adults never growing up" or something to that effect. Part of what I have noticed in this area is that unlike previous generations who would eventually set their childhood playthings down comfortably and proceed to engage only in adult concerns such as jobs, 'the wife', kids, money, etc., modern generations are holding on to their digital gaming past, either literally or in the form of keeping up-to-date with the latest releases as gaming content maintains a strong vein of appeal to mature audiences. As well, it seems pretty common for older folks to continue to build up collections of toys - for display purposes. There are, attached to the afore mentioned things, connected behaviors that follow these trends and are likewise new emergences of behaviors surviving from youth which would normally fall to the wayside.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Uh well. I seem to remember a comment in a Michael Crichton novel that, even years ago while he was writing, there was a growing new trend described as "adults never growing up" or something to that effect. Part of what I have noticed in this area is that unlike previous generations who would eventually set their childhood playthings down comfortably and proceed to engage only in adult concerns such as jobs, 'the wife', kids, money, etc., modern generations are holding on to their digital gaming past, either literally or in the form of keeping up-to-date with the latest releases as gaming content maintains a strong vein of appeal to mature audiences. As well, it seems pretty common for older folks to continue to build up collections of toys - for display purposes. There are, attached to the afore mentioned things, connected behaviors that follow these trends and are likewise new emergences of behaviors surviving from youth which would normally fall to the wayside.
I would say that it is a lot more about what is seen as an "adult" according to society norms. Now it is much more acceptable to collect childhood memories. Going back a few generations there was a whole other norm on what was acceptable to do as an adult. I don't think it is any new behaviour but rather that it is a much more acceptable norm today.

If you'd go back 10,000 years you would very likely find that humans then were very similar to us in most ways. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:Uh well. I seem to remember a comment in a Michael Crichton novel that, even years ago while he was writing, there was a growing new trend described as "adults never growing up" or something to that effect. Part of what I have noticed in this area is that unlike previous generations who would eventually set their childhood playthings down comfortably and proceed to engage only in adult concerns such as jobs, 'the wife', kids, money, etc., modern generations are holding on to their digital gaming past, either literally or in the form of keeping up-to-date with the latest releases as gaming content maintains a strong vein of appeal to mature audiences. As well, it seems pretty common for older folks to continue to build up collections of toys - for display purposes. There are, attached to the afore mentioned things, connected behaviors that follow these trends and are likewise new emergences of behaviors surviving from youth which would normally fall to the wayside.
Oh I never really put any of those things behind me :) I'm with Tatu. It did feel like some of it might be unacceptable at my age, but yeah it does seem more accepted now.
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trespasser-PC- ... SwQrRdjMdQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRESPASSER-THE ... SwrQ5cBsIY

The price is too ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

"Perhaps consider alternate ways you could bring yourself closer to the game"

I agree.

just like i want to play this game in my 60 inch TV

and 4k Resolution

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trespasser-The ... Swk8RecKsw
Attachments
tra.jpg
tra.jpg (515.37 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh my. It is funny how I about 10 years ago (when I was a kid and didn't have money) was offered a few sealed copies for $25 each. Sadly I didn't have the money for it nor for the shipping then. :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrvRM-q ... of&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2nshv ... of&index=2

just like this

the voice is the best than creative EAX

ps:i hear best

but you need aureal A3D sound card