Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Trespasser2020
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser hints

Post by Trespasser2020 »

Hi Everyone,

On my last playthrough I realised that there is a feature of Trespasser I have never used before. The hints!
They entirely escaped my notice the first time and the n-th time you play it's obviously unnecessary to use them anymore. Still I tried looking at them occasionally and I found they sometimes contain useful info and sometimes are quite irrelevant.

What is/was your take on this (first and consequent playthroughs)? Is there a place where someone collected all hints?

Stay alert, those raptors can be hiding anywhere! :)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser hints

Post by tatu »

I have some memories looking at the hints when I played it back in the day. I don't remember if I ever found them useful or not back then.
All hints are located inside the exe.

They are as followed (taken from the source):

Code: Select all

TestScene
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 0  "Hint # 0"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 1  "Stack the three boxes to get a gold bar."
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 2  "Hint # 2"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 3  "Hint # 3"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 4  "Hint # 4"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 5  "Hint # 5"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 6  "Hint # 6"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 7  "Hint # 7"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 8  "Hint # 8"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 9  "Hint # 9"
    IDS_STR_HINTS + 10  "Congratulations!  You've got Hint #10!  Yay!" 

BE
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 100  "Where am I?"
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 101  "Maybe there's some clue around here about what all this construction was."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 102  "Somewhere on this island there must be a way I can call for help.  Nothing to do but explore inward."
JR
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 200  "A monorail - ooh, futuristic!  Well, these tracks must lead somewhere."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 201  "Looks like a few ways to explore.  Best to remember where I left the monorail, though."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 202  "It looks too steep to walk up ahead.  Walking on the tracks may be my only way over this ridge. "
IJ
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 300  "Jungle.  Keep going till I find civilization.  I can do this."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 301  "This looks like the only way down.  I wonder if that pond is deep enough..."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 302  "If they built power lines, they must have gone somewhere."
IT
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 400  "I'm saved!  I must be saved.  One of the major buildings must have a line out."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 401  "I guess the Operations Center was pretty important. Maybe a phone there, or some clue."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 402  "They ran the whole show from this console -- data lines, security gates..."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 403  "Looks like Hammond's place was the other big site for data traffic.  And that guy Wu had his key at some point."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 404  "This place is dead.  I have to get out the northeastern gate, and look for that satellite link."
LAB
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 600  "There must be a way through here to the computer lab.  That’s where the real dirt is."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 601  "That gate takes a green keycard.  There must one around here somewhere..."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 603  "I can’t have checked everywhere.  Maybe one of these offices has a clue?"
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 604  "If I can get to that lab, maybe I can get a line out of here."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 605  "Wow.  Let’s see if we can fire this thing up."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 606  "Mountaintop facility!? That’s just super.  Maybe some of those paddock doors have unlocked.  Looks like it's my only hope."
AS1
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 700  "No way up here.  I'll just have to circle around until I find something."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 701  "Ruins!  Maybe the Mayans had some route uphill."
AS2
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 800  "The cliffs look too sheer to climb."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 801  "Okay.  Looks like I start climbing here, or nowhere."
SUM
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 900  "Summit facility.  I've come this far, no one's going to stop me now."
	IDS_STR_HINTS + 901  "One last race to meet that helicopter."
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Honestly I'm not sure if I even knew about them during my first playthrough :)
And now that tatu posted all of them, I'm sure I've never seen/read some of them, either.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I can't say I ever checked them in the original game, and I don't even think there are any mods that have ever used them. Maybe the developers should have added a "New Hint Available" message? I'd planned on doing that for RTJP.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

TheIdiot wrote:I can't say I ever checked them in the original game, and I don't even think there are any mods that have ever used them. Maybe the developers should have added a "New Hint Available" message? I'd planned on doing that for RTJP.
That probably would have killed the immersive hud they had in mind ;)
tatu

Post by tatu »

I believe ATX added an actiontype to add your own hints. I think JPDS used it. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:I believe ATX added an actiontype to add your own hints. I think JPDS used it. :)
Aah yes, JPDS did indeed use it, but again I don't think I ever used the hints in that, either. CE also has the ability to do this, although the process of actually getting the hints to work is a bit more complicated.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:Maybe the developers should have added a "New Hint Available" message? I'd planned on doing that for RTJP.
It would be possible through the text ActionType. Then it would be less realistic. Also, hints are mainly just "helpful" in some levels. BE, IJ, AS1 and AS2 are so linear that they don't need hints really. Except the elevator to the Summit I guess. Would be better to have triggers to check if Anne has been X amount of time inside it and then make her say something. If you wanna not have a text for the hint. :D

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

tatu wrote:Would be better to have triggers to check if Anne has been X amount of time inside it and then make her say something. If you wanna not have a text for the hint. :D
Wasn't something like that planned for the capacitor puzzle in the lab level? Anne reacting to having tried a few different things with them? (not sure I remember correctly)
tatu

Post by tatu »

Hilwo wrote:
tatu wrote:Would be better to have triggers to check if Anne has been X amount of time inside it and then make her say something. If you wanna not have a text for the hint. :D
Wasn't something like that planned for the capacitor puzzle in the lab level? Anne reacting to having tried a few different things with them? (not sure I remember correctly)
It is likely. I haven't read the design documents in ages. :P

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I remember reading something about saying something if Anne just stayed in one place for too long without doing anything...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

machf wrote:I remember reading something about saying something if Anne just stayed in one place for too long without doing anything...
There are several voiceovers of her humming a tone, sighing and informing the player how bored she is.
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, but the routines to detect the player being idle and enabling the automatic playback of those audios were never implemented...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:Yes, but the routines to detect the player being idle and enabling the automatic playback of those audios were never implemented...
You could in theory make many small triggers all around the level with a timer that fires them after X amount of time inside the trigger (that resets as soon as you leave it).
Reminds me of the secret win ending in the secrets document:

"Allow player to "win" if they run the game on the beach for 48 hours. Do something funny and clever like bring up an overlay or print some subtitles when they "win." Have some additional jokes along the way, like something about how hungry or sleepy Anne is after like 12 hours…"