Trespasser Reclamation

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Funkymotha
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser Reclamation

Post by Funkymotha »

Introducing Trespasser Reclamation a sequel to Trespasser coming to Dreams on PS4, the demo is available now! Set in 1999, you play as Logan, a employee of Masrani Global hired to go to Isla Sorna and recover Dr. Wu's data on cloning dinosaurs so Jurassic World can be created. Wu's journal will guide you through the history and secrets of Isla Sorna from his perspective.

I started this project back in November and I'm looking to complete it by this time next year.I wasn't going to post it here until the full version was finished but unfortunately the demo is not being played and I need feedback on it. What would everyone like to see in a new Trespasser game? What should be improved upon? What new location of the island would you like to see?

The trailer and gameplay footage show the old raptor model. The new model looks like the raptors from the movies now. I'll post a play through with no commentary in this thread after a small update this weekend. Burroughs is not an exact recreation due to limitations of the engine.

One last thing, a big thanks to everyone here! This wouldn't have happened without Trescom.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Trespasser Reclamation

Post by Rebel »

Welcome, FunkyMotha. The video looks pretty damn good. On ps4? That's be pretty cool. From what I can tell,
you're not reimagining Trespasser, but rather attempting to stay true to the original story line?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

Sadly I do not own a PS4 so I have no way to try this. It looks interesting. I have only heard about Dreams so I don't know how it works.

How big are you making this? Area wise that is. I think Plains would be a cool area, otherwise the island is pretty much covered by the areas we have in Trespasser so it is difficult to think of new areas. There are other people here however that are more familiar with areas in the book though. :)

Good luck on this!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome FunkyMotha. It always surprises me when others are working secretly on Trespasser projects... I'd never be able to complete such things without the support of others invested in the game. Unfortunately you might not find anyone here with a PS4 - I myself don't have one, either. Those things are expensive and I tend to prefer older games to play.
What was that Far Cry game that had an editor for building levels, on XBox 360? Someone here made some Trespasser levels in it, and sent me a physical copy of the Far Cry game (I already had a 360, at the time) so I could play his custom levels. That was pretty neat, I posted images of his stuff and we liked it. Sadly AFAIK, no one actually went and used those maps for multiplayer mode other than the creator. Using a console game map customizer for Tres is risky business since so few people care to become involved with this game. Still, we'll enjoy watching whatever videos you post of your work.
And, that's a cool story you have, retrieving Wu's cloning data for Masrani. Pretty creative, I like it. :statue:

PS: There might be more people with a PS4, in the TresCom Discord. I recommend checking it out, and telling people about this there:
https://discord.gg/42rMQC
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Welcome, funkymotha! Love the mood you've established with your trailer - the music and Hammond's VO go well together in a way that is unique and refreshing. I have a PS4 and was seriously considering picking up Dreams. I'm looking forward to seeing your game play footage after the update.
Funkymotha
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Funkymotha »

Here's a play through of the demo.

There's a cut by the gate behind Wu's house to show more of the
mechanics. When the raptor starts to jump attack me and I run out of
bullets I could've thrown the gun which would knock it back and deal a
little damage. But I panicked and just lit the flare. Also the health
wasn't shown very well and the player death wasn't shown at all. Dinos
still eat you when you die.

Here's some gameplay from an older build of dual wielding pistols.
It's still in the game, I just didn't get the opportunity in the newer
play through.

Still lots of bugs. I broke the eating animation on the new raptor
model while fixing it clipping through walls this morning.

Here's a clip from the second level "Maintenance Road." It's just a
few days into the build. I'm trying to come up with a good feel for
the landscape.

Rebel wrote:Welcome, FunkyMotha. The video looks pretty damn good.
On ps4? That's be pretty cool. From what I can tell,
you're not reimagining Trespasser, but rather attempting to stay true
to the original story line?
Yeah, this takes place after Trespasser. Burroughs doesn't have many
weapons and the back-up batteries are dead from Anne activating many
of the systems. I've always loved how Trespasser bridged the gap in
lore between the movies and books so I wouldn't change that.
tatu wrote:Welcome to TresCom!

Sadly I do not own a PS4 so I have no way to try this. It looks
interesting. I have only heard about Dreams so I don't know how it
works.

How big are you making this? Area wise that is. I think Plains would
be a cool area, otherwise the island is pretty much covered by the
areas we have in Trespasser so it is difficult to think of new areas.
There are other people here however that are more familiar with areas
in the book though. :)

Good luck on this!
The plains are a must! There's a great map on Trescom that has a
plains like feel and it's one of my favorite customs. I wanted to also
do the boat house from the book.
Draconisaurus wrote:Welcome FunkyMotha. It always surprises me when
others are working secretly on Trespasser projects... I'd never be
able to complete such things without the support of others invested in
the game. Unfortunately you might not find anyone here with a PS4 - I
myself don't have one, either. Those things are expensive and I tend
to prefer older games to play.
What was that Far Cry game that had an editor for building levels, on
XBox 360? Someone here made some Trespasser levels in it, and sent me
a physical copy of the Far Cry game (I already had a 360, at the time)
so I could play his custom levels. That was pretty neat, I posted
images of his stuff and we liked it. Sadly AFAIK, no one actually went
and used those maps for multiplayer mode other than the creator. Using
a console game map customizer for Tres is risky business since so few
people care to become involved with this game. Still, we'll enjoy
watching whatever videos you post of your work.
And, that's a cool story you have, retrieving Wu's cloning data for
Masrani. Pretty creative, I like it. :statue:

PS: There might be more people with a PS4, in the TresCom Discord. I
recommend checking it out, and telling people about this there:
https://discord.gg/42rMQC
There's rumors of Dreams coming to PC. The developer is planning a ten
year support cycle for it and with other ps4 exclusives starting to
come to PC there's hope! I started this in Unity actually back in
2015. But it became pretty clear it would never get finished between
modeling and learning c#. I would like to learn Trespasser modding. I
really like all your maps. I just played Mountain Valley and it was
great!

Thanks for all the support!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

FM, your mod looks quite nice. A little sparse, but I can look past that. I like the raptors you've put together, getting AI to work is one of the main things that causes Jurassic mods to stop and never be heard of again... How do you get custom models, animations etc. into a PS4 game? Anyway I appreciate the calm, steady-action feel of your mod. Not tons of sounds going on, it's a bit relaxing. It's great to see so much time and effort put into Trespasser. Possibly one day I'll get to play it... Keep us posted :!:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just watched the first video from that last post (the demo walkthrough)... loved the nameplates. But, where's my giant statue that dwarfes Burroughs' in comparison...?

Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Funkymotha
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Funkymotha »

machf wrote:Just watched the first video from that last post (the demo walkthrough)... loved the nameplates. But, where's my giant statue that dwarfes Burroughs' in comparison...?

Haha! I'll make you all god statues in the Mayan ruins
Funkymotha
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Funkymotha »

Draconisaurus wrote:FM, your mod looks quite nice. A little sparse, but I can look past that. I like the raptors you've put together, getting AI to work is one of the main things that causes Jurassic mods to stop and never be heard of again... How do you get custom models, animations etc. into a PS4 game? Anyway I appreciate the calm, steady-action feel of your mod. Not tons of sounds going on, it's a bit relaxing. It's great to see so much time and effort put into Trespasser. Possibly one day I'll get to play it... Keep us posted :!:
The sparseness is unfortunately a limitation in the engine. The memory is limited to 10,000 objects. This includes everything, even the scripting. It's visual based so two commands and connecting them is three objects. No nesting at all either. So objects require their own individual code each. If there's two barrels to interact with, for example, they can't both pull data from the same code. Barrel one needs its own code as well as barrel two.

There's no occlusion culling so I had to come up with a system to do it. The plants run on this system. The building interior walls follow you into what ever building you're closest too. Even the crates had to be optimized. A straight pick up put down system ate up way too much memory, 8% of my total memory with just five crates. So to save memory there's only pick up information on the boxes in the level. There's two boxes that sit under the level that hold the holding and put down information, one for the left hand and one for the right. When you pick up a box it's actually deleted and either the left or right hand box is moved to the hand you picked it up with. When you put it down the box is returned to its home location and another spawns where you were holding it.

I knew Dreams would be limited so from the start I knew doing a remake of Trespasser wouldn't work. But there's other good benefits like having everything from modeling to a DAW in one program is pretty insane. Plus there's VR coming too. There's a project that I started in the beta test that's alien isolation meets Jurassic Park I'm going to finish after Trespasser. I'm just building up the AI with Trespasser. Right now I'm running five simple state behaviors with obstacle avoidance. Not ideal at all. When someone goes into a building for shelter I'd like the raptors to target the windows or doors but it'll get there.

The animations are all done in Dreams. Everything in the videos, besides Hammonds VO was done in Dreams. There will be VO in the final game, recorded in Dreams. Sony won't allow imports of outside assets. So unfortunately things like textures can't be brought in.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That is still very impressive that such a game has been made. I bet a lot of cool creations have come about as a result, going on your descriptions and the ingame video. Almost makes me want to try it myself but I'll stick with Trespasser. An alternate crate for pick-up, that is a little funny lol.

Random question. What is your favorite game, that you've seen done in Dreams? Possibly it has a video?
Funkymotha
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Funkymotha »

Added VR support this morning running on DS4. I’ll post a video when I add the move controllers.
Funkymotha
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Funkymotha »

Draconisaurus wrote:That is still very impressive that such a game has been made. I bet a lot of cool creations have come about as a result, going on your descriptions and the ingame video. Almost makes me want to try it myself but I'll stick with Trespasser. An alternate crate for pick-up, that is a little funny lol.

Random question. What is your favorite game, that you've seen done in Dreams? Possibly it has a video?
Honestly I don’t play much. I’ll play with my son, he just turned 6, so we play some simple Dreams. 99% of my time is Dreams is making things. On Media Molecules YouTube page they do a lot of live streams where they show case their favorite creations so that’s a good place to start.

When I’m done with this I’d really like to start making levels in the real Trespasser. I had started this before I started playing the mods and levels on Trescom. I bought Trespasser on release day but I didn’t have a PC for almost twenty years. I’m just very happy Trescom is still up and running so I didn’t miss out on the loads of content people have made here.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I see. That works. Traditionally I also spend far more time making than playing games. I did learn at some point the importance of experiencing gameplay as well, so as to not become too schismed from its reality. JPDS suffered a bit from a lack of understanding of gameplay mechanics on my part, which may stem a bit from a lack of experience in the area.

As for modding in Trespasser - we'd love to have you. To decrease the overwhealm-factor of the idea, I offer a look at the TresEd video tutorial series I put together some time ago: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11093
Funkymotha
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Funkymotha »

Draconisaurus wrote:As for modding in Trespasser - we'd love to have you. To decrease the overwhealm-factor of the idea, I offer a look at the TresEd video tutorial series I put together some time ago: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11093

Thanks for the link and support! The packages are sitting on my hd and your video tutorial was exactly what I was going to start with. Who better to learn and get advice from than you?

I’ve been playing a lot of Trespasser since last fall and watching as many YouTube play through a to get what other people experience and feel when they play. It’s just disappointing that since Reclamation is on Dreams, it’s very limited access and it seems the vast majority of gamers aren’t interested in it. So I’d like to make things that the whole community can play and enjoy. Plus making levels in Trespasser is a childhood dream. I have an idea of setting up a remote account and letting people here sign in from their PC’s to play it (the remote play is free) but you need a DS4 for the program and my internet isn’t the best but if someone wants to give it a try I’d be more than happy to set it up.

Thanks again for the advice and for the future advice I’m more than sure I’m going to be picking your brain for!