Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Trespasser Twilight/ATX screen issue

Post by RavingRaptor »

tatu
I haven't had to do that before for any game, I barely have poked around in Nvidia menu at all. Anyway I added tres to it but it didn't change anything, still fatal error.
machf
I'm still backing up my computer but when it is finished I'm gonna try to disable integrated graphics card.
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

I looked through the registry and deleted some leftover trespasser stuff, but that didn't help.

Disabled integrated graphics card, tried again and still fatal error.

At one point i got a nvd3dum.dll error when launching tres but i don't know if it really is related to my original issue.
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

I just tried booting my computer in Safe mode, went over to the folder with my Twilight, started it and boom it worked.
This suggests that some conflict is stopping if from running in normal boot, right?

Could this this be a CD conflict, as in some ATX module goes through some CD driver related thingy and something happens?
I have multiple burn software and virtual drives installed and some of them have their own CD driver stuff.
Last edited by RavingRaptor on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Durr that is funny. I would estimate, that since one thing Safe Mode is supposed to do is turn off a bunch of the non-essential "fluffy add-on" stuff, that some special feature that your comp thinks is harmless, is mucking with it. But what have you not already tried to deactivate?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

It should not be a CD conflict as running in Safe Mode doesn't change the registry. IIRC the only thing old ATX version cared about was a CD verification and then it worked fine without a CD (a simple piracy check really) as long as you installed the game from your hard drive.

It sounds to me that it is a driver issue, as Safe Mode disables a lot of drivers, including your non-integrated graphic card. You should try to run ATX using your integrated one outside of Safe Mode and see if that helps. If it does, it means it is probably a graphic driver issue.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

So I had disabled like everything in normal boot but it still crashed, until I disabled my Nvidia graphics card.
When testing with the Nvidia card disabled I activated everything else and still it works, in software mode only ofc.

But when I disabled internal Intel graphics card instead of Nvidia it still crashed.

I have tried a "hard uninstall" of Nvidia card and drivers with a clean reinstall of an older driver-package (430.86) but that didn't work.
Used these instructions to remove Nvidia drivers= https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... pu-core-a/
Although i did not delete my C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver folder as DDU program recommended not to do that.

My GTX770 does not support context menu GPU selection when right clicking and I'm not able to locate another way of selecting GPU for specific application, in my GeForce control panel I can only select Nvidia GPU or automatic. I did do a google search to try to force application to use integrated GPU but couldn't really find anything, any suggestions?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wait so you got software mode to work. If you're trying to get ATX to work anyway.. that's old shit, why not just stick with software mode? I personally think it looks better, as there is less blurring of the textures. Everything is crisp and clean. There are certain levels I specifically play only in this mode.
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Well yes I did get it to work but this "fix" requires me to reboot my computer every time I disable and enable my Nvidia card.
And it is a little scary in my mind because when i disable the Nvidia card my screen goes black until i reboot the computer.
tatu

Post by tatu »

RavingRaptor wrote:Well yes I did get it to work but this "fix" requires me to reboot my computer every time I disable and enable my Nvidia card.
And it is a little scary in my mind because when i disable the Nvidia card my screen goes black until i reboot the computer.
Yeah I don't recommend that. I also don't see that the game would run too well on the integrated card anyway, as it is probably basic Microsoft ones to run only the basic interface.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Does Driver version 355.97 work with your card? That's the one I have with my GT 730 and it works fine...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Tried both 355.97 and 417.71 (January 2019) which I know the game worked on, but neither worked.

But I got an advise to try dgVoodoo 2 and that did work!

I do find it strange that I have to use dgVoodoo because previously it worked without it.
And when using dgVoodoo the menu options for the for jumping raptors and such disappear but i should be able to turn those settings on and off in ATXconfig.ini right?

I did test East Dock and the rain worked and it seemed like the Dilophosaurus spit worked as well.
Both software and hardware render worked.

Here is dgVoodoo site if anyone else ever might need it:
http://www.dege.freeweb.hu/
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That's odd, dgVoodoo is a Glide Wrapper. Meant to be used to run games which used the old Glide API instead of OpenGL or Direct3D on 3dfx Voodoo cards. Or has it become something more sophisticated now?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey congrats!! Odd that the menu additions don't work but I imagine that can all be done externally...
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

From dgVoodoo's webbpage:
dgVoodoo 2 is set of old graphics API's for Windows Vista/7/8/10.

They are implemented on Direct3D 11 and they can use different device types as wrapping output:
- Hardware rendering at GPU feature level 11.0 (recommended)
- Hardware rendering at GPU feature level 10.1 (has a minor limitation for DX8/9)
- Hardware rendering at GPU feature level 10.0 (there are some restrictions)
- Software rendering through Microsoft WARP renderer

The following graphics API libraries are implemented:
- Glide 2.11, Glide 2.45, Glide 3.1 and Glide 3.1 Napalm
- DirectX 1-7 (all versions of DirectDraw and Direct3D up to version 7)
- Direct3D 8.1
- Direct3D 9
Seems like DirectX and Direct3D wrapper stuff has been added.

I think I copied the wrong dll's to my tres folders, that's probably why the menu items wasn't there but now I have changed the dll's and all is there.
There is some unnatural flashing of the screen when starting Twilight and when loading a level, also mouse cursor flashes sometimes, it did not used to to that before but still, it works!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'm going to try it with TNFS SE, I wonder if it might work with that...