Trespasser Twilight/ATX screen issue

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Trespasser Twilight/ATX screen issue

Post by RavingRaptor »

I haven't found the setting to fix it yet but I'm not gonna give up!

It seems like it either have to do with hardware mode or D3D. When i tried Trespasser's software render everything worked pretty good and when switching over to hardware rendering in Trespasser and then changing "Use D3D=1" to 0 it also works but then it also looks like software render again.

Tried East Dock in DxWnd and it works until the dilophosaurus teleports uphill, then it crashes.
Also had to try TresCom Ops levels with it, and it kinda works but the screen is offset to the left for some reason.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Nice work. If you get it to work, please share the settings. It will be useful for the future as probably future OS might support vanilla Tres and ATX less. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh. The objects that were stretching across the screen in your screenshot, were all models with normalmaps (bumpmapping equivalent). Normalmapped models, except in CE, are rendered in Software mode regardless. So I guess DxWind doesn't like software mode?
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Draconisaurus I hadn't changed anything so all models should have been with normalmaps, right?

But:
Look at this next entry, it's the kicker: Emulate 16bbp D3D8 backbuffer

When i enabled that, the game worked correctly in hardware rendering mode.
So i tried East Dock in Twilight and hardware mode, and it didn't crash when the dilophosaurus teleported.

Also had to change SVGA to HDMI to use 1920x1080 resolution and Desktop Center to fix the last few things like screen is offset.
I'm gonna toy with around with the aspect ratio options and see what happens, as currently it also scales the main menu.

So now everything seems to be fine when using DxWnd.

I'll included photos here of my settings that worked.
Sorry that I photo my screen so often, but I'm usually in a hurry.
Look for red marker and arrows.
Spoiler: show
IMG_3678 - 2.JPG
IMG_3678 - 2.JPG (251.62 KiB) Viewed 6015 times
IMG_3679 - 2.JPG
IMG_3679 - 2.JPG (194.59 KiB) Viewed 6015 times
IMG_3680 - 2.JPG
IMG_3680 - 2.JPG (227.28 KiB) Viewed 6015 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oye so many options. Congrats on getting EastDock to work via graphics card options... Lots of people had the level crash when the Dilo tleported, back in the day. Also, on my old widescreen in 2009-10, the Tres menu was stretched to fit the widescreen dimension... For that reason, I designed the Trespasser Twilight menu screen to be "normal" when stretched to that ratio. Sadly in recent years, Trespasser's menu doesn't seem to be stretched anymore, in fact in CE it shrinks to not even take up the whole screen in either width or length.
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Before I created this thread, when everything worked like it had done before, most Tres stuff was relatively stable for me.
For example, East Dock would only crash if I was flapping my arm around too much or moving the camera too much, the dilo teleporting never crashed it.

With dgVoodoo 2 both software and hardware render also worked without a hitch even with ED, but it meant no HUD which of course is fine for that level.

With DxWnd all ATX features works, including HUD and it seems stable with most levels with both software and hardware render.
As I said only ED, of the levels I have tested crashes in software render when dilo teleports, might be some hack/fix in DxWnd to fix that.
Otherwise one can use dgVoodoo instead, if one would like to use software render.

One other note on DxWnd is that you may need to enable "Acquire admin caps" in the "Main" tab to run vanilla Trespasser.

I have to say that when experimenting and switching back and forth have really increased my liking of Trespasser's software render mode.
It has quite a nice atmosphere and it somehow looks kinda right, still the noticeable pixels and the bad looking water streams and lighting does not help it at all.
Hardware render is still my favorite though but it is not such a big leap as i used to think, I mean hardware mode in CE almost makes Tres look like 2005-2010 instead of 1998.
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Damn.

Why dear lord, why!

I went a couple of months without playing Trespasser and now trouble again...

So i run ATX Trespasser thru DxWnd and all is good, but when switching to hardware rendering, Ann starts to spin and her arm i drawn downwards like to a powerful magnet.
I can get her to look up briefly by moving her arm upwards bit is is then moved down again.

Any suggestions?
Has this happened to anyone else in any version of Trespasser?

I haven't changed any settings in DxWnd since using it successfully last time, nor have I changed anything in Trespasser.

All i wanted to do was to play Trespasser in ATX and hardware rendering, is that too much to ask for...
I mean that was why i tried DxWnd in the first place and manged to get it working.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Never heard of this happening before...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

Unsure if this could help, but this does fix the issue with the graphic option menu not working properly in ATX and retail:

1. Download this: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/ ... tag/v0.2.1
2. Put the ddraw.dll in your base folder (where the exe is).
3. If using ATX, either delete "ATXconfig.ini" or make sure "ObjectClarityDrawDistance" is set to "0" in the .ini, that should resolve crashes Draco and Mike experienced with using this .dll.

In any case, this will fix the issue where the graphic option gets split in two screens and become all purple. :)

Testing this on latest Windows 10 without any other programs or properties settings.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That is really bizarre. Never heard of a physics glitch from external settings. I wonder if some new thing has an "AI sense" to manipulate game settings and works oddly with an old game like Trespasser.
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Yea... I'm an idiot.

I didn't notice i was actually changing between software and hardware rendering mode.
The only thing i did notice was Ann spinning and the arm being drawn into the ground.

Whenever I change between the two rendering modes i just have to restart the game and all work as intended,

So there were no problem just a foolish man. :|

Thanks for the help though!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So, you were switching video modes in the midst of gameplay, then...?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Yes but also when i started the game up, so the issue was happening when i both changed it in-game and before I had started a level.