So how do I actually play these mods?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

KlaytonFioriti
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

So how do I actually play these mods?

Post by KlaytonFioriti »

Hey guys, I just recently downloaded the jetblack mod (I intend to get more) and after doing so I dropped it into the "data" folder. I thought this would allow me to access it in the level select screen but it didn't come up. Could it be a problem from not unzipping the file before putting it in there? I did actually unzip it after I'd already dropped the Jetblack mod into the "data" folder but all that did was create a little folder for it on it's own like what the "MENU" has. Any help here would be cool because I clearly don't know what I'm doing lol
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: So how do I actually play these mods?

Post by machf »

Well, the problem is, each one should have its own instructions. Most are just of the type "extract the contents of the archive into the Tres CD\data folder", though some are standalone mods which should be installed on their own folder.

If the one you mean is Jetblack's Beta level (jetblack.zip), well, it only contains the text file with the instructions and the 5 level files. My guess is you extracted them with the Windows unzip feature, and that has the unfortunate tendency to extract the contents to a folder with the same name as the file... so, just move those back into the \data folder and get rid of the unnecessary folder.

As a sidenote: IMO, it's never a good idea to rely on Windows' own implementation of certain things (video drivers, unzipper, image browser, for example), it's better instead to take the time and install some tool which was originally designed to perform that function.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: So how do I actually play these mods?

Post by TheIdiot »

Trespasser Millennium is designed to play custom levels, so you might have better luck with that. In any case you'll just want to make sure the level's 5 main files (.swp, .pid, .wtd, .grf, .scn) are in the "data" folder itself and not in some other folder WITHIN that folder. :)