[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
TresCom Forums • View topic - Neural Network Texture up-scaling

TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:00 pm 
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

I've been playing around with a few image up-scalers that use machine learning to guess what the enlarged image would look like rather than just average out the pixels.
I though it'd be fun to run the trespasser textures through it.
Doubling them seemed to be a good compromise between size and benefit. Unfortunately the original images are only 8 bit colour so there are colour banding issues. They might benefit from some blurring?

Current Version
V2.1
V2.1 light
Pine Valley V1.0

Attachments:
PPrecisionSMLcrate_t2.jpg
PPrecisionSMLcrate_t2.jpg [ 47.96 KiB | Viewed 10301 times ]
Ppaintcan04t2.jpg
Ppaintcan04t2.jpg [ 55.23 KiB | Viewed 10301 times ]
Pfuelbarrel03t22.jpg
Pfuelbarrel03t22.jpg [ 41.33 KiB | Viewed 10301 times ]
PBrCanNoTopHi_lites00t2.jpg
PBrCanNoTopHi_lites00t2.jpg [ 58.25 KiB | Viewed 10301 times ]

Last edited by Isolt on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:21 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Nice results...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 pm 
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Thanks.
They'll never be as clear as TheIdiot's remade ones, but they're better than any standard up-scaling.
It's not hugely noticeable in game but things are a bit more crisp.
Now to sort the texture overlaps from every level... There must be an easier way.

Attachments:
TPass005.jpg
TPass005.jpg [ 609.23 KiB | Viewed 10283 times ]
TPass004.jpg
TPass004.jpg [ 485.62 KiB | Viewed 10283 times ]
TPass002.jpg
TPass002.jpg [ 420.75 KiB | Viewed 10283 times ]
TPass001.jpg
TPass001.jpg [ 512.77 KiB | Viewed 10283 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

How many textures did you apply this process to?
And yes, the textures having been reduced to 8-bit palettes in the final step of the export for the game makes them somewhat problematic to improve... does the process get any advantage if you convert them to 24-bit RGB images first? At leas, normal resampling algorithms usually work better if you do that and then convert back to an 8-bit palette... and with CE, you don't really need to make them 8-bit again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:22 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

I was waiting for someone to do this. Had wanted to do it myself a while back but couldn't find a (free) tool to do so nicely, and retexturing everything from scratch takes a lot of time, especially considering a lot of Tres' objects have a large number of split-up textures, such as dinosaurs and vehicles.

The colour banding in the original images does suck, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about that without remaking the textures from scratch. You could try blurring the image a bit before upscaling but you'd lose some of the details. With CE you can use hardware textures in .dds format which should allow you to avoid having to convert the images over to 256 colors - I found saving them as .bmps causes some issues with lighting.

What I'd like to see now is a conversion of all of the original Trespasser bumpmaps to CE-compatible normalmaps so that they work in fan-made levels, since GeomAdd never got the ability to use standard Tres bumpmaps in custom levels.

Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - or | | |

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

A member on the Discord have done this to several LAB textures and upscaling some quite good.

IIRC the SWPext have issues and export the bumpmaps with some lines in them? However, you can use the GUIApp from CE and export textures along with the bumpmaps. :)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:48 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Hey now, those upscaled images are great! I was unaware of this technique, am impressed...

Also.. spherical coordinate systems. Nice, I wonder if there are alien races who use this as their standard model rather than X,Y,Z box-coordinates..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:52 pm 
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Hi machf.
I've done all of beach textures so that I could test it.
Last night I combined the textures from all the levels to avoid double ups. There was a note in the GUI app about having different textures with the same name in different levels. I went through them as I combined them but didn't notice any. Does anyone know of any exceptions? There are thousands of files and I may have overlooked some.
For my beach test I didn't upscale the normal maps, or even use the ones extracted along with the textures. Would those benefit from up-scaling?
I know ground textures aren't applied in CE so I won't do these. How do I identify them? "TGrass05t2" looks like a good candidate, what about things like "TBchClff30t2" and "TgiantBoulder01t2"
Would imposter sprites would benefit from up scaling, or are the new draw distances so good it's not necessary?

The Idiot, I want to avoid modifying the textures before up-scaling them. The less they've been modified the better the results are I believe. Hmm lighting issues with .BMP is concerning as that's what I was planning to use. TGA is an option, or I could batch convert them to .DDS with something?

My current plan is exporting all textures with GUIApp from CE. Combining them to remove doubles. Removing ground textures and normal maps. Upscale 2x with 24bit BMP's as the output. Then possibly add a bit of selective blurring on some of the worst banding.

Thanks tatu, you helped me get the GUIApp running over in the CE thread so that I could export these.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:36 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:15 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 pm 
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Attachments:
PblFuelBarrelF00t2.bmp
PblFuelBarrelF00t2.bmp [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 10258 times ]