Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Neural Network Texture up-scaling

Post by Draconisaurus »

Right, the global texture replace thing is nice, but if potentially any texture from a retail level may have been altered and placed again in a fan mod, we should not be using the global texture replace at all. That notepad example is a particularly nasty one, where vital ingame text may not be present...
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

tatu wrote:You can have textures only used for specific levels. If you put them in a folder called "BE", only Beach will use those. Then the global textures can be in the main folder, replacing every level.
That's one option. It would make it a retail only texture pack though, none of the HD textures would appear in any fan levels you play.
I'm with tatu, going forward textures should be renamed. Or better yet HD versions supplied along with the level, even SD ones supplied with a level would avoid this if needed.
Past levels are a problem though. Play without the new textures or just risk it. I've moved the clipboard into a level specific folder so hopefully any other unintentional overrides will just be a loss of artistic intent, and not anything game breaking.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I think in the retail levels the clipboards should be the only thing, at least that I can think of that could otherwise be "game breaking". I don't think anyone making HD texture should be forced to make sure it doesn't override fan levels, cause fan levels edit a lot of original textures without changing them (Trespasser did as well). Then it is better to start building a database for knowledge like that instead.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, I thought of another one. Many levels use custom versions of keycard textures. Some of them might have the same name as a non-look-alike retail version, confusing players about where a keycard goes...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Huh, I thought of another one. Many levels use custom versions of keycard textures. Some of them might have the same name as a non-look-alike retail version, confusing players about where a keycard goes...
Do you mean retail levels or fan levels? I don't think you could do any HD texture replacement for the retail levels if you have to take mods into account, unless you put the textures inside their own folder for each level, which would just take tons of space. Even levels like JPDS would be effected otherwise as you changed the foliage textures but kept the same name. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Uhh, my memory's bad, but if the fan texture replacement is still an issue, my above statement is for that.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hello - my friend has just come up with the idea that the PH Green Rex skin might be upscaled to make an HD texture. Sounds really cool...
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

Project update - V2.1 is the final completed version.
All textures from the retail game have been upscaled (excluding terrain textures due to CE limitations).
Some critical textures have been put into level specific folders to avoid game-breaking fan level issues and name overlaps in retail. Keycards have not been moved at this stage.
There may still be issues where HD textures overwrite fan level textures that are significantly different but use the same name. It's ultimately up to the user to choose if they use these on fan levels for improved quality at the risk of losing some artistic intent.
Going forward I'd recommend renaming any texture you plan to alter significantly when making a level.

Draconisaurus can you get me a link to the rex textures and I'll have a look.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Great news! That's a huge project. Usually those sorts of things aren't finished here heh!
I'm not clear, Keycard textures are being in a separate folder? I imagine puzzle color coding has some of the most to lose from incorrect color display, and a number of fan levels have slightly modified retail keycards.

Rain check on the textures, might have them later tonight.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

Yep when I've got time I'll do a V2.2 and move those keycards, and anything else I think of.
Currently it should be OK? If someone changed "PScrtyCrdRdrBLU00t2", I'd guess they'd change "Ptkeycardblue01t2" to match. I doubt they'd use "Ptkeycardred01t2" or any other colour. So the changes would be lost but the puzzle should still work.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Right. Well, a modder might take a keycard texture into Paint, make a small change, then save the file, changing as little as possible. I feel Tres modders learned a long time ago a basic idea of minimum needed modification for things to work, to stop Tres from glitching or crashing... It was a pretty untamed wilderness back then. Oaks and sequoias.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh nice. I will happily upload it to TresCom once it is release! :)

Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

V2.2
Keycards and readers now moved to level specific folders.

4x resolution
https://www.moddb.com/addons/start/2057 ... xture-pack

Light 2x resolution with some textures removed
https://www.moddb.com/addons/start/2057 ... xture-pack

tatu can you upload these for posterity, thanks
tatu

Post by tatu »

Cool! Yes, I will upload them this week :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, according to Tatu's description, these are the two versions of the Green Rex texture we have from the early builds:
Atrex_f_t2.png
Atrex_f_t2.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
Atrext2.png
Atrext2.png (12.5 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
Strictly speaking, this one is also found in the Trespasser source code:
Standard (1).png
Standard (1).png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 4036 times