Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Neural Network Texture up-scaling

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:Thank you. The way Mega handles downloads by storing them in the browser's cache conflicts with my cache settings...
Yeah. All because every download is encrypted (which is of course good). My main dislike is their download caps, 3GB/day or so unless you pay.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That door looks great! It's mind-boggling. Tatu, I don't have the mystery-models ATM but maybe post some of those textures for us to compare with upscaled ones?
tatu

Post by tatu »

The Mystery Models textures are not less blurry, they just have less "colour issues" as they are still in 24-bit and not 256 colours.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah. Well, I'm thinking using those as a starting place would be superior when going to up-scale.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

Draconisaurus wrote:That door looks great! It's mind-boggling. Tatu, I don't have the mystery-models ATM but maybe post some of those textures for us to compare with upscaled ones?
I actually used all the mystery model textures I could match up. They're much better in terms of colour banding with gentle transitions, not really as noticeable on most textures though.
I haven't shown any comparisons of these before because they're not an honest representation of the upscaler as they use different source material.
Beware El Nino

8bit texture/upscaled/24bit texture
Attachments
SBungWallS06t2.jpg
SBungWallS06t2.jpg (213.85 KiB) Viewed 17410 times
Scontrailerdoort2.jpg
Scontrailerdoort2.jpg (77.17 KiB) Viewed 17410 times
P45right01t2.jpg
P45right01t2.jpg (181.04 KiB) Viewed 17410 times
PStallCntrPnllt2.jpg
PStallCntrPnllt2.jpg (183.09 KiB) Viewed 17410 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I feel seriously that you must have opened a dimensional portal to somewhere with higher res versions of the original textures made by the devs themselves...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, I agree with Draco, these textures are beautiful. Much better than my re-done textures for the most part...I might have to use some of these for my own levels!

The only thing that seems to need manual fixing is text - the lettering on the Colt M1911 in particular is kind of off.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

TheIdiot wrote:Yeah, I agree with Draco, these textures are beautiful. Much better than my re-done textures for the most part...I might have to use some of these for my own levels!

The only thing that seems to need manual fixing is text - the lettering on the Colt M1911 in particular is kind of off.
Yeah networks suck at text and faces, oh god the faces... We'll more accurately people excel at text and faces.

Draco for a good time with the temporal portal just call 970-7124273
PStallDoorsBck01t2.png
PStallDoorsBck01t2.png (465 KiB) Viewed 14846 times
Last edited by Isolt on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Theeee temporal portal... Uh sure xP
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

I wonder where that phone number goes? It would be unreadable in the original game, but someone put it in there...
TheIdiot wrote:The only thing that seems to need manual fixing is text - the lettering on the Colt M1911 in particular is kind of off.
I did manually fix the text in some of the more prominent textures. There's a lot more text to fix though, and with things like handwritten text it would be a lot more work.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

V2.1 is up
Fixed the foliage to be more like the original by extracting the retail alphas and up-scaleing them.
Added a "light" version at a lower resolution for more demanding levels or less capable hardware.
Added a Pine Valley pack.

V2.1 https://mega.nz/#!MLYh1KgK!wIlJsvzijF2f ... kyCZ3LNasM
V2.1 light https://mega.nz/#!BLJnTSrR!yVdAwnkjAaxc ... okD3pMVcoU
Pine Valley V1.0 https://mega.nz/#!sPpUTSJY!6sdUMZ9VMgzn ... t6KyE0g_kA

I've noticed an unintended consequence of the texture overrides. The textures will override any modified textures in custom levels that use the same texture name. For instance the clipboard texture "PSecurityNote02t2" is often modified but not renamed in user levels, this results in the up-scaled stock texture overriding the custom one and obscuring the intended information. I've fixed this by putting the clipboard textures in level specific folders.
Can anyone think of any other examples that would need similar treatment?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well shit, that's a problem I hadn't found yet. Lots of custom levels use modified versions of original textures without being renamed. So, this is a problem for potentially anything.. If I were you I'd bring it up in Lee's CE thread, since you're the one working on this. 8)
tatu

Post by tatu »

CE already have a workaround for that by having them in their own folders. Fan levels also have the habit of modifying retail objects and not change the name. Heck, even Trespasser sometimes uses the same texture name with different texture (mainly terrain textures). I'd say it is on the level author (even if a lot was made in the past) rather than the CE mod. It would be too much to make the engine check for this. Just warn users about it in the Readme. :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm so wait, what is the recommended location for retail-texture replacement images, then? Are we saying the main, non-level-specific one should be avoided for all purposes?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmm so wait, what is the recommended location for retail-texture replacement images, then? Are we saying the main, non-level-specific one should be avoided for all purposes?
You can have textures only used for specific levels. If you put them in a folder called "BE", only Beach will use those. Then the global textures can be in the main folder, replacing every level.