Neural Network Texture up-scaling

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Neural Network Texture up-scaling

Post by Isolt »

OK. Merged the 600+ mystery and foliage textures with their alphas and combines them with the other textures.
I'm not sure it was worth it for the billboard trees, but this flower looks nice.
Spoiler: show
TPass025.BMP
TPass025.BMP (5.93 MiB) Viewed 14314 times
Spoiler: show
TPass000.BMP
TPass000.BMP (5.93 MiB) Viewed 14314 times
Now to convert these to .dds. I'm having a few texture problems with the .bmp overrides, hopefully that will fix it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

That does look pretty nice... At some point be sure to do Wu's pool sign, and the flood control building door.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

OK version 1 is up, drop it in your data folder.
https://mega.nz/#!5G4VkIaT!4UourXxsjSV5 ... iLJ5gzFwJA
They're much smaller as .dds files. As .bmp I couldn't load IT, as .dds it's fine. I'm not sure if that's a hardware or software limitation. Up side is that I may have some more leeway to increase them in size!
Currently they're at 2x, and a few at 4x that I felt benefited from it.
Tell me what you think.
I'm investigating some new upscale models so expect a V2 at some point.
I think I removed all the unnecessary terrain textures but if you see any in there I'll remove them.
Draconisaurus here is the pool sign, only so much the model can guess sadly. We could always redo the text manually.
Attachments
PWPoolSign01t2 copy2.bmp
PWPoolSign01t2 copy2.bmp (768.05 KiB) Viewed 14303 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

"Please take a shower before entering the pool.
If you don't, I will kick your ass flat, and
ask you to -------. That is the ---- asshole.
If you don't like it, you can get the fuck out
of my house. No exceptions..... thank you."
darren_r_w
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by darren_r_w »

"CAUTION
Watch your step"

The first time I've seen that look like the rest of the game setup correctly.
It makes a difference to me.

Banding in textures is like physics on dinosaurs. You don't need to know they're physically operated; you just need to know they're dinosaurs... with mammalian vocals.
Draconisaurus wrote:"Please take a shower before entering the pool.
I wouldn't put that in the game, but it would be nice to know what it says.
It's worse than the Caution sign just when you leave the beach level.
Isolt wrote:I've been playing around with a few image up-scalers that use machine learning to guess what the enlarged image would look like rather than just average out the pixels.
I though it'd be fun to run the trespasser textures through it.
Doubling them seemed to be a good compromise between size and benefit. Unfortunately the original images are only 8 bit colour so there are colour banding issues. They might benefit from some blurring?
V1.0 https://mega.nz/#!5G4VkIaT!4UourXxsjSV5 ... iLJ5gzFwJA

Just about to try these out. I didn't realise just how many of them you did until I looked in the folder and then.... I thought the whole trespasser game was in there.
It is though, isn't it.

*update

The thing about a change is that once you know a change makes a change, it then makes a difference. You don't need to know it's noticeable- you just need to know that it's better.
Now all I need is an explanation why dinosaur skins aren't like dropping in the map folder as this is without becoming the experts that made all of this possible in the first place.
I guess I'll just have to evolve too.

Don't forget to fix the telephone box!

* callbox

removed the files just now see if it changes it to normal
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

darren_r_w wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:"Please take a shower before entering the pool.
I wouldn't put that in the game, but it would be nice to know what it says.
It's worse than the Caution sign just when you leave the beach level.
This is what the sign say though. So it is already in the game. :P

Darren, please use the EDIT button instead of posting several times in a row. I have edited your posts into one instead.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

darren_r_w wrote:"CAUTION
Don't forget to fix the telephone box!
* callbox
removed the files just now see if it changes it to normal
What's wrong with the call box?

Glad to see someone's tried it. I'm still experimenting with running it through a neural-network trained on de-banding then running it though one trained on digital images.
The results are looking better in general
standard texture doubled with no interpolation
standard texture doubled with no interpolation
PPlaneWreck09t2A.bmp (768.13 KiB) Viewed 14269 times
V1 upscale
V1 upscale
PPlaneWreck09t2B.bmp (768.05 KiB) Viewed 14269 times
V2 experiment
V2 experiment
PPlaneWreck09t2C2.png (546.37 KiB) Viewed 14269 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That final version seems to be the best one... Looks very close to what the original unscaled texture would have looked like.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Definitely.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
darren_r_w
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by darren_r_w »

Isolt wrote: What's wrong with the call box?

Glad to see someone's tried it. I'm still experimenting with running it through a neural-network trained on de-banding then running it though one trained on digital images.
The results are looking better in general
PPlaneWreck09t2A.bmp
PPlaneWreck09t2B.bmp
PPlaneWreck09t2C2.png

The callbox will have mirrored textures of the speaker piece on the back and sides- like a mutant callbox (the first time it happens is right at the plantation House as I've had another play through all the way to the Labs where I got to last).
I removed the files (the callbox 'post/stand' file doesn't affect it so that was left in) related to it and it's back to normal.

**update

Solved the black rock in the chasm area with MaxCullDistance=1000 (I don't know what the default is, as it only appears in the 'hq' ini file as 1500, so I reduced it by 500 for what I would guess as the ceiling for the non-hq ini and its max non-hq params
callbox still has the same problem...
Last edited by darren_r_w on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tatu

Post by tatu »

You should take a look at the JPDS mod Darren. It has a part where you get access to a building through a window.
You read the top of the broken stairs both in Hammond's house and the Saloon. The issue is that the physics are buggy, therefore it is not that easiest to create those moments, as Anne can get stuck or you would need an ass big window to avoid getting stuck. Not to mention box stacking is still quite difficult.
If you don't think anyone in the community have taking it further, feel free to learn how to mod and create something of it if you want. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
darren_r_w
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by darren_r_w »

tatu wrote:You should take a look at the JPDS mod Darren. It has a part where you get access to a building through a window.
You read the top of the broken stairs both in Hammond's house and the Saloon. The issue is that the physics are buggy, therefore it is not that easiest to create those moments, as Anne can get stuck or you would need an ass big window to avoid getting stuck. Not to mention box stacking is still quite difficult.
If you don't think anyone in the community have taking it further, feel free to learn how to mod and create something of it if you want. :)
I haven't tried the JPDS mods yet, but I definitely will now.
I'm learning the TresEd right now.
I've had a lot of experience with UnrealEd (not used Unity) and I did some great things on Far Cry 2's editor in the early days (it was one of the first game editors I ever tried- did some amazing things on that; I might still have the map. I can re-create it from memory otherwise).

The physics is unbelievably accurate- that's the thing. That's why there are signs in wooded areas telling you not to climb on the timber.
The glitch is when you break your leg:
"Press Restart After the Cast Has Come Off"

The box stacking problem is the arm colliding with another box or any other surface or if the box touches something else and now your arm thinks it's holding twice the mass. The boxes push away from another due to a continuous desire by the physics engine to push away other objects so it can stay still and the phyics engine can ignore it. Fix that and you would probably fix a lot of other things.

Maybe change the shape of the collision detection as the collision detection is as square as it gets.

*update
I've been playing JPDS for quite awhile now and it's unfortunate it's on ATX.
I am getting constant disappearing textures, huge slow-downs (anywhere near that flowing river and it's pure hell). Tried it in software mode (or I think it was, it didn't look like it was as it appears in the normal game). I had a look at the ini file and the texture dim size (128) and left it like that and it's still really slow (I tried all the way down to 1280x1024 from 1920x1080).
The level seems to follow the river, downhill, and I kept to the road, which veered away from the river and then pylons came up, but that took me into the forest (where Hammond's voice comes up) and then a big raptor attacks me and I keep running until I come across 3 raptors (sam neil) which attack it but they all die trying (the animation and jumping of the raptors and the big raptor is far better than the normal game). Then I come across a power-station (the locked shed), tried to break the lock with a jeep door nearby, a rock, a larger rock (throwing it) and then finally grabbed it with my hand and hoped I had spiderman's strength. Followed the road more, came to a plane runway and hangar and then a gas station next to a wall.
I had no idea where I was going, what I was supposed to do...
I was a little disappointed it started at night and everything is extremely closed in distance wise.
Everything's there to make this good, but I'd not like the original game if it was in software mode/ATX and it wasn't 60fps locked as I get with dx9.
The flowing river seemed to take over the design of the area until I got to the wall. I'm not sure where it went, but I couldn't follow it. At one point, I ended up in a swamp which didn't want me to go further.
I was really quite confused.
That's the first attempt.
Next attempt incoming.

** update

Really, really enjoyed it. Once you know where to go, what to do, and then you know for sure that picking up the rock and smashing DOWNWARD on the padlock works (because when I did it, swiping left to right or hitting it with a big jeep door wouldn't work even when I knew it was connecting) everything just keeps working after that.
The big plank of wood is both frustrating and hilariously difficult because it seems to weigh the same as a boulder that Superman pushed off a cliff to stop a dam burst from drowning a town. But when the absolutely insanely hard thing propped almost vertically against the fence once I'd thrown the key over (which I did just because I'd do that in real life), sliding up it and over was a "this was designed by competent developers that pushed just as mistakenly as the original developers did as they tried to smash their skulls against an impossible to design for physics engine."

I know why this isn't on dx9. It's because you did what the orignal developers did with a crazy idea: Stacking boxes... and then the whole thing died as time went on and reality stepped in and crushed their dreams. Then you guys get together: Jumping raptors, keys replacing cards and lock doors needing a rock paper scissor moment and the sky's the limit, but what the hell. Let's do this thing because nobody within a single life time is going to do this as far as we know ever again.

You made History twice for Trespasser. You know as well as I do that you've vindicated the original developers efforts; it was pointless, but somebody had to do it.
Last edited by darren_r_w on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

JPDS is admittedly an advanced mod, meant for people already familiar with how to get around in Trespasser. It's also my first big project mod, I've learned a lot since then. Be sure to read the on-screen text as you go, and use the spacebar to use items such as water canteens. At any rate, JPDS~streams is a highly open-ended world meant to be meandered about as an act of discovery. :statue:
tatu

Post by tatu »

JPDS kinda push the engine to the limit. It is much more detailed than any of the original levels as well.
In theory, you could set up JPDS in CE and enjoy most out of it (not all ATX function was ported to CE (yet)). However, even with a powerful computer, you might not get 60 FPS in JPDS with CE. And it is not just a simple fix in the source either. Even the devs have said in the past it would be much better to just re-write the game than to fix the huge issues by modifying the source.
Worth remembering is that Trespasser was never tested back in the day with resolution over 800x600 so it will struggle with high resolutions no matter what.

But yes, you should be able to get JPDS running in CE if you set it up correctly. :)

Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

Draconisaurus wrote:That final version seems to be the best one... Looks very close to what the original unscaled texture would have looked like.
That's the plan. V1 I uploaded was better than stock but I wasn't happy with it. The de-banding is making a good difference!