Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Neural Network Texture up-scaling

Post by Isolt »

TheIdiot wrote:
machf wrote:
Isolt wrote: Ah I thought all the tiny tree textures were them
Ah, you mean the mipmaps... they are stored in order to save time, instead of having the came recalculate the texture at further distances (when it's shrunk), they're precalculated and stored in the .PID/.SWP files. I don't know how CE handles them It's likely that if you use .DDS textures, the mipmaps will be contained within them, too.
So long as you generate mipmaps when you export your .dds files, yes, it does appear to use the mipmaps from the .dds files. The impostors however do not appear to benefit from HD textures and instead use the normal textures which are contained in the .swp instead.
OK looking at the files I was referring to he small tree images "Vtalpalm" "Vswamptreet" "Vbillboard" etc, what are they used for? there are quite a few of them.
What can I use to generate .DDS files? I'm currently getting .BMP as an output from the up-scaler but I have a few other options.

I've had another look at the differences in the textures between levels. They're not exactly the same but I'm not sure the differences will be meaningful after they're scaled.
Are the pallet differences noticeable between levels? Not counting any terrain textures in this case as they're not used in CE.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You can use the GIMP to generate DDS files... just import your original texture and export it as a DDS file. You can import the mipmaps as additional layers, or just have GIMP generate them during the export process, I think...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I believe TheIdiot know a program that can autoconvert .dds files in batches while fixing "issues" with them and reducing their filesize without effecting the quality.

I think there are very few textures that are effected between levels. I believe it is mainly walls that could be effected and some gates. And terrain textures but you don't do them anyway.
Palette might be different but I don't think that will matter after doing this anyway. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Certainly not, as the hi-res textures loaded externally by CE can be 24-bit RGB instead...

Regarding the palettes, look at this image:
TWtrFllBck01t2.bmp
TWtrFllBck01t2.bmp (65.05 KiB) Viewed 13562 times
See that bright spot near the bottom left corner? That's an effect of the downconversion from a 24-bit RGB image to an 8-bit paletted image using "nearest match". My suggestion is to look for the same texture on a different level using a different palette which may have given a different result. Maybe averaging all the versions of the same texture may approximate the original RGB one.

Of course, if you can just use the RGB textures provided in the MAX files we got, it's a better option...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

machf wrote: Of course, if you can just use the RGB textures provided in the MAX files we got, it's a better option...
Where would I find these? Is it too much to hope they use the same file names?
I believe TheIdiot know a program that can autoconvert .dds files in batches while fixing "issues" with them and reducing their filesize without effecting the quality.
This sounds useful!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Isolt wrote:
machf wrote: Of course, if you can just use the RGB textures provided in the MAX files we got, it's a better option...
Where would I find these? Is it too much to hope they use the same file names?
Look here:
http://www.trescom.org/editing/
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

machf wrote: Look here:
http://www.trescom.org/editing/
Ahh great got some good textures from the mystery models, updated all the 8 bit with 24bit versions of the models in there. No dinosaur textures sadly.
"IJVegMasters" has a lot of vegetation but they're all 24bit, not 32bit like the ones I've extracted. I suppose this means they're missing the alpha layer for transparency?
There's about 600 of them so it would be quite a bit of work to add the alpha layers even if i knew how. Any automated tools?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That's because the texture maps and the opacity maps are stored separately... texture maps end in "t2.bmp" and their corresponding opacity maps end in "o8.bmp". If you wnat to make them a single file, well, just combine them...

EDIT: oh, and the ones ending in "b8.bmp" are the original bumpmaps for some of those textures...
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

This isn't really my area of expertises sadly.
I'm assuming CE needs the Alpha layer in it's texture override files for transparency? What does the trespasser community use to combine these?
Any 24bit dinosaur textures lurking around? I'm amazed at the stuff you guys have managed to dig up over the years.

EDIT: Do any of the earlier builds available use better then 8 bit textures?
tatu

Post by tatu »

I would recommend comparing textures from "IJVegMasters" with ones used in one of the levels cause I know some are different.

And AFAIK the earlier build don't have better quality textures. Some levels might even have more palette issues as well.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Upscaled the posters found from Nedry's office. They aren't super sharp, but still pretty damn good.

I noticed no one had posted a link to the upscaling tool, so here it is: https://bigjpg.com/

Also, hello everyone. :P
Attachments
computer_building_v29-9-40002.jpg
computer_building_v29-9-40002.jpg (227.08 KiB) Viewed 13545 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That looks good.
Hello, and welcome back!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks really cool! It's too bad Tres doesn't have simple lighting like this, it would be so much easier to create atmospheric interiors that way rather than have to resort to fiddling around with fog and fake transparent light objects.

We should start another online RPG set in the Kandar universe (whatever that would be...I imagine a strange crossover of He-Man, Conan and the Dungeons and Dragons movie, with Dennis Nedry being the all-powerful omniscient god manipulating the fates of the adventurers...)
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

TheIdiot wrote:It's too bad Tres doesn't have simple lighting like this, it would be so much easier to create atmospheric interiors that way rather than have to resort to fiddling around with fog and fake transparent light objects.
Which reminds me... More salt to the wounds:

https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Jurassic_Pa ... #InGen_Lab
Beyond a gate, nestled in a narrow point of the valley which opens out to the harbor, the InGen lab's three university-style buildings loom out of the advancing vegetation, the last remnants of Hammond's great aspiration. With the power restored, emergency exterior and interior lighting come on, making the scene even spookier - the outside floods and the red-tinged interior light make it seem as if the inhabitants just recently fled, unable to stop some sudden Day of the Triffids-like attack by the jungle.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

This is some nice stuff ya'll are doing. Glad you found the Mystery Models.

Small note, if it makes a difference: I recall that the bark of the trees in TestScene are brighter than in other levels. I do believe per-level texture assortments is a sound way to go.