Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Mesoamerican Research

Post by Draconisaurus »

'Ello, all. I have decided to launch a topic concerning one of our favorites groups of people - the Mesoamericans. ;) We're all familiar with the Mayans in Tres, but of course there's lots of overlay with other Mesoamerican cultures. The stone heads, for one, are often tracable to the Olmec. A favorite point of mine, tho, is that the mystery-model dagger is in fact very much Aztec. I also have the ofty notion that Mesoamerican things may be found within other elements of the game, but that is a tale for another time.

First object will be, creation. As it goes, there were three main creator gods - Tepeu, Gukumatz (AKA Quetzalcoatl), and Huracan. Tepeu and Gukumatz created the plans for the world, while Huracan created from these plans. At some point, the gods decided there needed to be worshippers, and so the First People were made of Mud. They had no soul, however, and so they destroyed in a great flood. The Second People were made of Wood. They were better, but could not bow, and so were destroyed also. The survivors were turned into monkeys. Finally, the Third People were made of Maize (Corn), and the gods succeeded at last.

Here's a video telling a broader story concerning these and other events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb5GKmEcJcw

For reference, by the way, here are six of the Xibalban Lords (really wish I had such nice images of the others):

Finally! I have created a new term I wish to share. I have this fun idea that Nerds are from the North (Norse stuff) and Geeks are from Greece (Science stuff). I officially propose a new term equivalent to these, but in reference to the Mesoamericans: Mezerds. (Hint hint: Lizard-dino connexion ;))
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Mesoamerican Research

Post by TheIdiot »

Very interesting stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about native American culture, although I am interested to hear all of this information as I am a history buff - the bulk of my knowledge concerns the Middle Ages, so I guess that makes me a Nerd, in your description of the term, especially since I have Danish and Welsh origins. :P

So from what I gather, the Third People were the real-life humans, and the others were the predecessors? Perhaps they could have been looking back at the evolution of man as the "imperfect" humans if they had knowledge relating to prehistoric humans, and interpreted that as a creation story? As far as I know, Mesoamerican religion dates back to long before the bulk of European and Middle Eastern religions, even before the Egyptians, perhaps even before the development Mesopotamian culture, since they had been settled long before any ancient humans in Europe. My knowledge of pre-Egyptian civilization is limited, but from what I recall, the first signs of major human settlement in Mesopotamia are some of the oldest known, alongside native Americans.
Finally! I have created a new term I wish to share. I have this fun idea that Nerds are from the North (Norse stuff) and Geeks are from Greece (Science stuff). I officially propose a new term equivalent to these, but in reference to the Mesoamericans: Mezerds. (Hint hint: Lizard-dino connexion ;))
I like it! All of the Mesoamerican-related stuff involving possible dinosaur connections was always something that piqued my interest. It seems they were a lot more wary of the past than the dominant European culture that is currently present.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Mesoamerican Research

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Very interesting stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about native American culture, although I am interested to hear all of this information as I am a history buff - the bulk of my knowledge concerns the Middle Ages, so I guess that makes me a Nerd, in your description of the term, especially since I have Danish and Welsh origins. :P
Ah kewl - I have a bit of Danish blood, meself. ;)
So from what I gather, the Third People were the real-life humans, and the others were the predecessors? Perhaps they could have been looking back at the evolution of man as the "imperfect" humans if they had knowledge relating to prehistoric humans, and interpreted that as a creation story?
That's definitely one way to look at it. I find it truly fascinating to imagine the possibilities, there.
My knowledge of pre-Egyptian civilization is limited, but from what I recall, the first signs of major human settlement in Mesopotamia are some of the oldest known, alongside native Americans.
Cool... I seem to remember the oldest stuff anyone's ever found being in that one place in Turkey.. Heard of it? Can't remember the name..
I like it! All of the Mesoamerican-related stuff involving possible dinosaur connections was always something that piqued my interest. It seems they were a lot more wary of the past than the dominant European culture that is currently present.
Indeed. I should definitely talk about my theories on the meso-dinosaur connection sometime...