A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Nicolas
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by Nicolas »

Every time i check back here it seems trespasser ce gets better and better ! Keep up your amazing work! Maybe my dream of getting a trespasser HD someday will get true !
KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by KillerBee256 »

Wow the game now looks like the box screenshots.
Fear the frog....
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

machf -- how does fraps run now with TresCE?

And man, those bumpmaps on that TribeB raptor are glorious! 8)
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Slugger wrote:machf -- how does fraps run now with TresCE?
I guess it would run better on a faster computer, but it's still pretty decent even for this 6-year-old laptop...
And man, those bumpmaps on that TribeB raptor are glorious! 8)
Hmmm... time to add bumpmaps to the TC raptor skin, I guess...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:A few videos, mostly to show the jumping raptors:
Jumping raptors? Looks like they're dancing :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Awesome work, Lee Arbuco. You implemented a lot of nice little extras. I did notice how the first level video now doesn't skip every second line and how you made environmental audio effects available to everyone through OpenAL. I believe these ideas weren't new to the coders on the forum, but no one really wanted to invest their personal time to do it any more. That you suddenly appeared with new CE version developed in secrecy and based on the leaked source code was quite a surprise!
Before I saw the anti-aliasing in effect I thought any graphical upgrade needs a legacy mode that would render the game as it looked like in the original release software renderer. But now I'm convinced that it is much more interesting to see what the original assets look like if enough hardware is thrown at it. A lot of the large textures, in-game texts and especially flora feel a lot more detailed. I caught myself a few times wondering if some small plant had always been there in the level, because it was a barely noticeable, pixelated wall-flower in the retail version. The view range is of course great as well. This can be seen in the town with the lanterns and I personally like the anti-aliased pine needles from several trees overlapping and creating an almost organic pattern from copy&pasted assets.
The jumping raptors are what they always were: Too glitchy to be more fearsome than funny :p
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Hey Lee, question about the water sim:

I was looking around the code and there are some interesting references to factoring in the depth of the body of water into the equations for wave propagation. There seem to be two interesting terms:

- m_depth
- mDEPTH_ADD (flagged as a constant)

Particularly with this comment:
// Fudge factors for depth.
// If mDEPTH_ADD is positive, this allows waves to propagate, even a little bit on the shore.
// If negative, it makes water act shallower than it is, so reflections are more obvious.
I don't actually see how/where m_depth is determined or set. Would it be possible to add a couple other variables to the water object's tscript to maybe take advantage of these two terms? It would involve changing mDEPTH_ADD from a constant to a variable, though.

Found in (Lib/Physics/waves.cpp)
Nicolas
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Nicolas »

The water starts to look really nice ! And jumping raptors can be a awesome posibility.I can only wait for a beta test with highly textured and bumpmapped raptors /environments to see how awesome can trespasser look one day!
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

Slugger wrote:I don't actually see how/where m_depth is determined or set. Would it be possible to add a couple other variables to the water object's tscript to maybe take advantage of these two terms? It would involve changing mDEPTH_ADD from a constant to a variable, though.
The depth is determined as distance between water entity Z (the surface) and terrain Z below it for each element (in the m_depth array). Technically it would be possible to let it define the mDEPTH_ADD as a water entity param (like the ones I previously added). I'd have to try different values and see how the simulation behaves, to see if it's worth it.

Messing with the values in m_depth is not likely to happen. Water entity resolution changes based on distance to it, the m_depth array will get resized/reinited along with it. It's not something that should be interacted with directly.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Lee Arbuco wrote:The depth is determined as distance between water entity Z (the surface) and terrain Z below it for each element (in the m_depth array).
Oh that makes a lot of sense, I didn't realize the engine actually determined the depth and took that into account. I'd agree with your judgement, about not messing with teh m_depth values.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I've been checking this thread for a while and, until tonight haven't had a good chunk of time to see how this patch works with Linux. After applying the patch/update I'm happy to report everything is running exceptionally well! In my wildest dreams I never would have believed the results I'm seeing. The years old problems I've had running the game under wine were: in hardware, the game slowed to a crawl and foliage didn't exist, forcing me to play in software only. This patch is allowing Trespasser to take full advantage of my Nvidia 3d acceleration and the results are stunning. I can't believe Trespasser works this smoothly and plays this well. Lee Arbuco, many thanks for all your hard work! I can now play in hardware mode and the game is as smooth as I've ever been able to play it on any of my machines under Windows or Linux.
Attachments
tresspasser_patch.BMP
tresspasser_patch.BMP (2.57 MiB) Viewed 15949 times
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

A couple more.

Foliage renders perfectly...
palms_patch.BMP
palms_patch.BMP (2.57 MiB) Viewed 15948 times
And water is stunning...
Attachments
watr_patch.BMP
watr_patch.BMP (2.57 MiB) Viewed 15948 times
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hi Dan! It's been quite a while...

Wow, now it sure looks great on Linux... about time!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
DrShaw
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DrShaw »

It about time tres started working on Linux but I don't own a Linux so I only got to see the wine os issus report on the game. Great work Lee.
~Dr.Shaw

We are tressers by heart like Anne. John made his dream come true as well as mine.
We trespass on his dream and to see the forgotten world that once was alive 65 million years ago now touchable. Who...dares to come trespass....?