TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:30 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Right, the global texture replace thing is nice, but if potentially any texture from a retail level may have been altered and placed again in a fan mod, we should not be using the global texture replace at all. That notepad example is a particularly nasty one, where vital ingame text may not be present...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:32 am 
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

tatu wrote:
You can have textures only used for specific levels. If you put them in a folder called "BE", only Beach will use those. Then the global textures can be in the main folder, replacing every level.

That's one option. It would make it a retail only texture pack though, none of the HD textures would appear in any fan levels you play.
I'm with tatu, going forward textures should be renamed. Or better yet HD versions supplied along with the level, even SD ones supplied with a level would avoid this if needed.
Past levels are a problem though. Play without the new textures or just risk it. I've moved the clipboard into a level specific folder so hopefully any other unintentional overrides will just be a loss of artistic intent, and not anything game breaking.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:46 am 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

I think in the retail levels the clipboards should be the only thing, at least that I can think of that could otherwise be "game breaking". I don't think anyone making HD texture should be forced to make sure it doesn't override fan levels, cause fan levels edit a lot of original textures without changing them (Trespasser did as well). Then it is better to start building a database for knowledge like that instead.

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Huh, I thought of another one. Many levels use custom versions of keycard textures. Some of them might have the same name as a non-look-alike retail version, confusing players about where a keycard goes...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:57 pm 

Draconisaurus wrote:
Huh, I thought of another one. Many levels use custom versions of keycard textures. Some of them might have the same name as a non-look-alike retail version, confusing players about where a keycard goes...

Do you mean retail levels or fan levels? I don't think you could do any HD texture replacement for the retail levels if you have to take mods into account, unless you put the textures inside their own folder for each level, which would just take tons of space. Even levels like JPDS would be effected otherwise as you changed the foliage textures but kept the same name. :)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Uhh, my memory's bad, but if the fan texture replacement is still an issue, my above statement is for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6