Additional Routes/Levels

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Additional Routes/Levels

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah, that would be cool indeed..

..No one else has a comment on the new map? o_O And SI, you can now see which levels will be smaller..
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

When you mentioned the possibility of alternate routes, I immediately thought of the train tracks.

Very nice map! :yes:
I see a lot of different connections between levels. All of these are a little confusing, care to explain which level links to which?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thankies.

Well, I tried to make it somewhat obvious with the paths and such.. And some connections are not even definite yet. First off, here's a list of the levels and abbreviations:
BE (Beach)
JR (Jungle Road)
IT (InGen Town)
PL (Plains)
PV (Pine Valley)
LAB (Lab)
AS (Ascent)
EB (East Basin)
WB (West Basin)
TS (Train Station)
LL (Lowlands)
HAT (Hatchery)
SL (Swamplands)
BH (Boat House)

And then, these are the possible routes you may take through the game to reach the end:

BE > JR > IT > PL > PV > LAB > AS
BE > JR > IT > PL > PV > LAB > AS > BH
BE > JR > IT > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS
BE > JR > IT > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS > BH
BE > JR > IT > TS > SL > BH
BE > JR > IT > TS > PL > PV > LAB > AS
BE > JR > IT > TS > PL > PV > LAB > AS > BH
BE > JR > IT > TS > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS
BE > JR > IT > TS > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS > BH
BE > JR > WB > LL > PL > PV > LAB > AS
BE > JR > WB > LL > PL > PV > LAB > AS > BH
BE > JR > WB > LL > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS
BE > JR > WB > LL > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS >BH
BE > EB > TS > PL > PV > LAB > AS
BE > EB > TS > PL > PV > LAB > AS > BH
BE > EB > TS > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS
BE > EB > TS > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS >BH
BE > EB > TS > SL > BH

This chart assumes that all level transitions are one-way. If we allowed some of them to be two-way, we could for example allow the following path:
BE > JR > WB > LL > PL > TS > SL > BH > AS

However, this causes the obvious potential for even further difficulties in establishing proper time-of-day progression. :? I've fiddled around in my head with the idea of creating start triggers which are dependent on the entry point of the player, but this could not change the sky texture.. (variable player-entry-points will be required for Tres: R and are possible by making SCN files with Anne in a different starting position)

PS: I've just realized that to put the Summit in the same level as Ascent would preclude the chance for a time-of-day shift to dusk. :| I guess we'll be making the Summit its own level still, most likely! (quite possibly we'll make it use the as.wtd file)

PPS: Hmm.. the road that links PL to the top of LAB may or may not be usable. If it is, it would greatly reduce the length of the game, so maybe we don't want to do that. We could potentially create a new level in the big open section in the middle of PL, SL, BH, and AS, if we wanted.. though that might be a little much. Still, if someone wanted to contribute a level and fit it in there, we could do that.
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/tresreloadedmap01.jpg/ Maybe part of the empty area near Punta Paceco could house Power Plant? :lol:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heh, well technically some of that area is covered in BE, but I don't see how a power plant would really fit there. :? If someone's got an idea for that area which makes more sense for the island, I'm open.

I've been doing a bit of thinking and come up with a new level progression.. The only change in this case is that instead of being able to go from BH to AS, you may go from AS to BH. Have also added in SUM.

BE > JR > IT > PL > PV > LAB > AS > SUM
BE > JR > IT > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS > SUM
BE > JR > IT > TS > SL > BH
BE > JR > IT > TS > SL > BH > AS > SUM
BE > JR > IT > TS > PL > PV > LAB > AS > SUM
BE > JR > IT > TS > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS > SUM
BE > JR > WB > LL > PL > PV > LAB > AS > SUM
BE > JR > WB > LL > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS > SUM
BE > EB > TS > PL > PV > LAB > AS > SUM
BE > EB > TS > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS > SUM
BE > EB > TS > SL > BH
BE > EB > TS > SL > BH > AS > SUM

However.. I've done some other thinking. I believe it should be possible to create two-way level transitions for and amongst LAB, HAT, AS, and BH, because they are all essentially to take place during the day, so it wouldn't really muck up time-of-day. 8) This potentially creates endless free-roaming level paths because, for example, you could do this:
BE > JR > IT > TS > PL > PV > LAB > HAT > AS > LAB > HAT > AS > BH > AS > SUM
Pretty freaky, eh? But it might be pretty fun to allow that in this last region of the game (the transition to SUM would not be two-way, though I am thinking about allowing a second link to it from LAB).