The Mayan Tunnels

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

The Mayan Tunnels

Post by Microceratops »

I don't know how many of you guys found the Mayan Tunnels when JPDS was released (probably most of us have), but I remember that particular feature was one of the best surprises of the game for me at the time - and still is probably. After being in the open so much, it felt really special to be trapped in an almost claustrophobic way, picking clues as you went along, and slowly finding your way out of there, into the open wilderness once again.

For those who haven't discovered them yet, don't worry, I won't spoil anything. But for those who have, I thought it would be nice to talk about them, discuss how many times you lost the needed items on your (rushed) way in and had to start all over again...

Discuss :)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: The Mayan Tunnels

Post by tatu »

I remember it very well. First you get to the secret island where you have to do some stuff to get to the tunnels. I remember spending many hours fixing the height of the trees on that island :P
I love the end of the tunnels, with the planned sewer system. To bad it was never completed and made it into the final.

On another note. I've started to work with the "new" JPDS terrain machf made over a year ago, which will give a much better experience since you will get the original planned landscape and not the wierd one JPDS got now due to TresEd's problem with imported heightmaps. However, I'm not sure if some parts and/or models where made after the old terrain so it might not be possible everywhere. Plains will not be effected since it doesn't use the same terrain.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: On another note. I've started to work with the "new" JPDS terrain machf made over a year ago, which will give a much better experience since you will get the original planned landscape and not the wierd one JPDS got now due to TresEd's problem with imported heightmaps. However, I'm not sure if some parts and/or models where made after the old terrain so it might not be possible everywhere. Plains will not be effected since it doesn't use the same terrain.
And here I thought that terrain would never be put to good use...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Never actual been in these "tunnels". . .

*cue enlightenment via instructions on how to get there*
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

awesome24712 wrote:Never actual been in these "tunnels". . .

I can't tell you the exact location of it, but near a lonely Ankylosaurus (to the north I believe) you'll find a hidden Mayan Temple. In there, you have to find a very small object right next to a group of stones put together forming a circle. Take the object and go with it to the centre of the stones. From there, you'll have a nice surprise and plenty of more questions to ask :lol: I can assure you that I had the exact same questions when I first got to the "secret place", and if you do the correct steps, well... I don't wanna spoil it!

Sorry for the crappy explanation, but english isn't my first language (as you can probably tell).
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Microceratops wrote:
awesome24712 wrote:Never actual been in these "tunnels". . .

I can't tell you the exact location of it, but near a lonely Ankylosaurus (to the north I believe) you'll find a hidden Mayan Temple. In there, you have to find a very small object right next to a group of stones put together forming a circle. Take the object and go with it to the centre of the stones. From there, you'll have a nice surprise and plenty of more questions to ask :lol: I can assure you that I had the exact same questions when I first got to the "secret place", and if you do the correct steps, well... I don't wanna spoil it!
To the north? :lol:

But nevertheless, after flying around I found the ankylosaurus and the ruins. Followed your instructions. Found a place with a lot of ruins after that, but no tunnels. Still pretty cool though. 8)

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

You have to find a certain crystal skull (I call him Murray, the Invincible Demonic Skull!) by the beach on that little island, who will give you a hint on what to do.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Microceratops wrote:(I call him Murray, the Invincible Demonic Skull!)
Hahaha, I know where that comes from...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I haven't found the island via the method above but I did try flying there once. I got a message that said "NO PEEKING" and got kicked out of the game. XD Draco you clever bastard you! Another reason why I miss him... =(
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

glitchhunter09 wrote:I haven't found the island via the method above but I did try flying there once. I got a message that said "NO PEEKING" and got kicked out of the game.
That happened to me once, I thought though it was to prevent you from going to see what plains is like.

Post benchamrks:
tatu

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:I haven't found the island via the method above but I did try flying there once. I got a message that said "NO PEEKING" and got kicked out of the game.
That happened to me once, I thought though it was to prevent you from going to see what plains is like.
It is. It was placed so people wouldn't be able to peek at the terrain of the other levels.

I would love to see another huge mod like JPDS at some point. Maybe not that big, but maybe that someone would continue to work on a Trespasser remake based on the scripts and walkthrough in Trespasser's engine. I'm in for that if anyone else wants to at some point.
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Just like in the old days, I got stuck in the tunnels! :D

I remember what I had to do with the knife in there, but I can't recall what was I supposed to do next... Something with the egg?

Dammit! :lol:
tatu

Post by tatu »

Microceratops wrote:I remember what I had to do with the knife in there, but I can't recall what was I supposed to do next... Something with the egg?
IIRC you where suppose to to sacrifice some of your blood at some location. Don't remember exacly where.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

tatu wrote:
Microceratops wrote:I remember what I had to do with the knife in there, but I can't recall what was I supposed to do next... Something with the egg?
IIRC you where suppose to to sacrifice some of your blood at some location. Don't remember exacly where.
I got hurt when I "used" the knife, don't if it was a trigger or if I actually stabbed myself.

Post benchamrks:
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Aha! Finally got it! Found the "key" to escape the tunnel. I didn't remember it was so well hidden...

But the gate won't work. Strange, I remember it working. But maybe I'm wrong...

Awesome: Once you have stabbed yourself, you have to leave the knife on the altar and then something should be appearing. Take the knife and the "thing" and... RUN!!! Find the entrance to the tunnels as quickly as you can.