Site B Station 003: The Runway / Hanger

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Site B Station 003: The Runway / Hanger

Post by Draconisaurus »

I do believe the thread we had for the runway was at the original JPDS forums.. but there may never have been a thread. At any rate, here it is, for discussion of the Site B Runway and Hanger.

I've actually created this thread to discuss an idea I just had - it's mentioned in the glossary (by me) that "A BioSyn helicopter was supposed to be kept on hand at all times for emergency purposes." I had in mind when writing this that somehow this helicopter was gone (not accidentally) at the time of the Megaraptor attack. Perhaps a lone RF member (or two) managed to make it all the way to the runway's helicopter pad, only to find that the BioSyn helicopter was gone. I suppose shortly thereafter they died from dinosaur attack.. we could even give a hint at things to come by placing a dead RF member in the woods near the runway.

Now here is the reason I wanted to post about this. What if, when the player first comes upon the runway, there is no helicopter (as was the case for the unfortunate RF member(s)), but then after they leave and have travelled some distance, we teleport a helicopter onto the helipad? If they happen to travel back, for a loaded gun or who knows what, they would find the helicopter sitting there (though unable to be flown, I guess the key is missing or something :P). This would be because a BioSyn member has come to check up on the RF, damage assesment etc. It would imply you are not alone on the island, while I don't plan for you to ever meet this person.. but it ties in with the events Mike planned for BioSyn to return to the island in full force by the end of JPDS3. :) This would simply be the first wave, more like a scout. Perhaps he even left a desent weapon on board. Hell if we wanted.. we could actually put the BioSyn guy somewhere, killed by a raptor. But I don't like that idea as much. Anyways... wanted to post this cause it's so interesting, I don't want to forget and I wonder what others think. :yes:
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Maybe you could have somewhere in the level where there's a security building, and when the players in there, on one of the screens they can see the biosyn guy walking around somewhere...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Dude... sweet idea. There are a number of places like that, mainly the EA security room where we're going to have a ton of monitors... most were intended to be for the EA but I also planned to put several cameras in semi-random spots around the level, most of which would still be providing video feed. Fricken awesome idea. 8)
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

I love the ideas, Drac/SI. Think that'd be an awesome experience for the player - getting the feeling that they're not alone, feeling mystified by the sudden appearance of a helicopter, and of course ... spotting that mystery person on the security monitor. Wonder how long it would take them to put two and two together ... :D

A note: He should definately not be found dead somewhere. IMO, it's more interesting if he's alive and you're left to wonder where he is at that very moment ...
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Maybe you could later have the sound of a helicopter and have the helicopter flying away too at some point in the level, where the player can see it flying away.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm good point Mike, we probably shouldn't kill him off I guess.. keep the mystery going :D

As for the helicopter flying away.. we might just do that at the end of the level. Mike's been pushing for a cutscene at the end of the level for some time.. I personally don't want one. I'd much rather have the last scene be the conclusion of the 3-Megaraptor fight, where it jumps into the fence and blows it down so she can get through. However there are several ways we could make the end more dramatic, for example an ASA of that BioSyn heli flying towards the harbor/town.. btw. I already have planned for a Costa Rican coastguard helicopter to fly above the EA sometime after the player reaches it. Of course the player/Tasha is hoping they see her, but no luck.. probably checking up on the 'search party'. That was my original idea.. I've actually considered making a sort of constant path for the coastguard helicopter to follow, so the player would see it at random spots in the sky (random to the player) at random times, thought it might be a nice touch..
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Yeah i was thinking of having it actually happen during game play, not as a cut scene.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*nods* Will definately have more effect as an ingame stunt, as opposed to a cutscene. I'd also seriously like to attempt some "ingame" scenes where we animate the camera around, with ATX's ability to deactivate keyboard movement control...