JP: Dark Secrets - Old Thread (updates Dec. 04 - March 07)

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm yeah hopefully Mike sees these posts and fixes that to Nov. 3rd 2006. :yes:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, I have just finished writing a new dev journal. No where near as major as the last one, but is hopefully worth the read anyways..

http://www.jpdarksecrets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123

:)
RickRex
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by RickRex »

How are thing going on?
Life Will Find a Way... "Dr. Ian Malcolm & John Hammond"

Don`t worry I'm not making the same mistakes again "John Hammond"
No, you're making all new ones "Dr. Ian Malcolm"

T-Rex!, You said you got a T-Rex? "Dra. Ellie Sattler"
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well if you've looked around, I've posted various small updates on where JPDS currently stands. We are hoping for a chirstmas release, and currently our site is still down (the server itself has been moved and I'm not sure if we'll be able to use it again, however the site has been backed up. Maybe Mike will see this and post about it.

Currently, Mike and I are actually hard at work on some buildings for the level.. not actually in the EA, to be honest, however once I start with this, it is some major work that can be taken care of without too much trouble (the EA however will be too much trouble lol, we'll handle it when there's more time, perhaps around Thanksgiving).

So that's where things stand now. Like I said, we are hoping for christmas. Keep your fingures crossed!!!

-Drac.
General Kenobi
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by General Kenobi »

You say http://www.jpdarksecrets.com is up and runnig but when I try to
go to the site I get a web page saying jpdarksecrets coming soon.

whats up, I want to see how good jpdarksecrets is going to be.
any idea what i'm doing wrong?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I fear they may have lost the domain...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

General Kenobi wrote:You say http://www.jpdarksecrets.com is up and runnig but when I try to
go to the site I get a web page saying jpdarksecrets coming soon.

whats up, I want to see how good jpdarksecrets is going to be.
any idea what i'm doing wrong?
No one ever said it was up and running. If you want to see how good JPDS is going to be then read this thread.
machf wrote:I fear they may have lost the domain...
...Shit.
General Kenobi
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by General Kenobi »

Good news everyone! http://www.JPDarkSecrets.com is back online! Everyone go check it out!! I do believe we have gotten a few new members around here since it went down a month ago. It's also got our special level releases, worth a look.
Your own words
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I searched back a number of pages in this thread and could not find where you found me saying that, it was likely in the area of a couple months ago. Please be more careful about that, JPDS has been going on for 2 years as of next month, so dates are extremely important to note. The JPDarkSecrets website has been up and down on innumerable occasions in that time, since it first went online. It will be back and it will go down again, before the end.

You obviously did not even read the very last post in this thread, by myself, which was directly above yours:
Draconisaurus wrote:We are hoping for a chirstmas release, and currently our site is still down (the server itself has been moved and I'm not sure if we'll be able to use it again, however the site has been backed up.
As such, it was the latest information on the status of our website (very easy to find) and there's no reason not to see it before you posted that.. so again, just be more careful and patient, please.

*PS: apparently we still own our domain name, thank god. The current page displayed is provided by the site we got our domain name from until we can put the content back online.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

JPDS has been in production for 2 years? Really? Doesn't seem that long...
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote:I searched back a number of pages in this thread and could not find where you found me saying that, it was likely in the area of a couple months ago.
Yup. Page 24, first post, September 13, 2006.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
RickRex
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by RickRex »

Hope the web works soon.

Christmas release. It will be a nice present. ;)

Keep on the good work!
Life Will Find a Way... "Dr. Ian Malcolm & John Hammond"

Don`t worry I'm not making the same mistakes again "John Hammond"
No, you're making all new ones "Dr. Ian Malcolm"

T-Rex!, You said you got a T-Rex? "Dra. Ellie Sattler"
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

RickRex wrote:Hope the web works soon.

Christmas release. It will be a nice present. ;)

Keep on the good work!
Heh indeed, thanks! :) Being thanks giving weekend here in the US... I had been hoping to get some major work done on the level. It seems I may have a fair amount of schoolwork to take care of, though. We'll see how it pans out. :?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, haven't updated this thread in a long time. I still don't many renders to supply for an update.. and it's not why I am actually making an update. Just the same, I'll pass it by you all to keep your eyes satisfied. :P

It's the radio tower I planned to put in JPDS a long time ago.. (like about 2 years and 2 months ago lol) Over time I've considered many different ways to set up the Misty Mountain radio station in our level.. often considering just borrowing TC_Isle's comm. tower from the crater facility.. and finally decided on an overall layout the other week in biology. I collected reference images of actual radio towers over a year ago, and they came in quite handy while building this.
(PS: sat. dish is taken/modded from the Tres dish in IT, main metal texture is from tc_isle)

Alright now for the reason I wanted to update. A recent change in plans in my life (still figuring out some aspects of how it will work) has come to pass... or rather, will come to pass. That is, I am planning on taking a semester off from college. There are several reasons I chose to do this.. the four main ones are: working (more often), more flexible time to spend with my gf, computer graphics, and writing (most likely fiction). That's a very basic, yet fairly accurate layout for what I plan to do with my life in 2007 starting this summer... so what does this mean for JPDS? A lot. Two main points: in the event JPDS1 is not complete by the summer season, it will be shortly thereafter; upon completion of JPDS1, instead of the prolonged "break" I've been planning on taking afterward, during which I would release myself from any major projects for a while (to pay more attention to other things), I would actually been very soon thereafter on production of JPDS2.

The big thing about JPDS2 is that, like Act II of the TresCom Ops levels, it will be almost entirely constructed by me. That is to say, damn near 100% of the modelling will be my own work. This will allow me to point to any screenshot from the game and say "yep, that's my work right there" whereas now, it's virtually impossible to point anywhere in JPDS without having some element that was created by others (mostly Tres devs or Remdul), which I suspect will largely remain the case throughout the level. Now one point yet to be seen is how much of the texturing will be my own - I'd like to create a totally fresh array of textures for everything. It's very tempting to just use the archive of foliage textures, for example, that we already have thanks to Trespasser and TC_Isle. But, I'm sure it's possible to make many myself.. using my own photographs as well as photos on-location (tropical plants etc. that I have no actual access to).

What else does this mean? That JPDS3 now has a good chance of happening. Maybe even this year. None of you are prepared for the things we have in mind for JPDS3.. it's gonna be one hell of a ride, set mostly in a pine environment, oh and btw yes the pine trees will all be 100% new. Also plenty of ruins, exciting scripted game sequences, and other things. ;)

Well then, that's what I've got for now! I'm going to try and do as much work on JPDS1 as possible in the meantime.. hopefully release will be sooner than later. Be prepared for the summer modding season. ;)

-Drac.
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Unfoutunately, my level is far less planned than JPDS. Mine is actually kind of a journal of me trying out TresEd. Non the less, I hope its fun to play.

Your level seems amazing. With an intense storyline, I hope the final product to be promising and can't wait its arrival.