JPDS Archive

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

JPDS Archive

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Greetings TresCom members! I hope you're all doing well.

I was recently going through my old pre-2006 computer and found hundreds of files related to JPDS development. Inside were a few interesting never-before-seen and unreleased WIP pictures and renders of models and areas I was working on for the MOD that never made it to the game as well as some that did. There are also a bunch of desktop screenshots and joke caption images that some of my fellow dev's might remember.

Releasing them all at once would take way too long, but I though it might be interesting to share some of what I've rediscovered.

To start with, have a look at the sewers that were once planned to stretch beneath the first level in JPDS.

http://imgur.com/a/GrHq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68kPA1YAPTo

The sewers would have been accessible by the manhole inside the maintenance shed and at other areas throughout the level. These dark forgotten tunnels would ultimately terminate in a large subterranean room equipped with an elevated control room. Accessing the control room would have allowed the player to unseal locked doors throughout the tunnel system.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: JPDS Archive

Post by machf »

Hi, Mike!

Wow, very detailed, those sewers... and very wide, too.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Lol yes it is! Thanks for pointing that out :lol:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yup, that's it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

May I add that these sewers (not finished) is found within JPDS? :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

tatu wrote:May I add that these sewers (not finished) is found within JPDS? :)
That's awesome, tatu! I'd love to see a screenshot or in-game video if someone has the game installed. I know Draco got around to adding the Hillside Research Station area that I designed and modeled, but I haven't had the chance to see that in-game yet either.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

New upload: Hillside Research Station (HRS)

According to the plot of JPDS, the Hillside Research Station was InGen's first set of buildings on Isla Sorna. This small station was set against the northern hill of the first level in JPDS due east of where the main character's helicopter crashed. It consisted of a security building, staff barracks/dorms, a research lab, and an administrative building. When InGen had mastered "bringing it up the well," they vastly expanded their construction efforts and the HRS became defunct and was closed down.

The security building had a small waiting area with a locked door as soon as you walked in. A security officer sitting in an adjacent room behind a glass window could hit a buzzer to unlock the door into the rest of the building. If I remember correctly, there may have been a puzzle associated with getting that door unlocked. Inside the building was a locker room, a holding cell (I think?), and a monitoring room filled with CCTV's.

The barrack/dorms had about a dozen small, shared rooms, and one large room on the second story for John Hammond. Attached to the main dorms by a walkway and staircase were shared a laundry room and a recreation room.

I never got around to doing much work on the lab or the administrative building.

Although I haven't seen much of the JPDS that eventually got released, I am aware that the some version of the HRS did make it into the game and have heard word of an Easter egg directed at me hidden inside.

http://imgur.com/a/oe26x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlxEtigTCiY

Draco's "Death to the Bench" video actually takes place in and around the HRS security building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cli6afAPh70

Interestingly, for months I misinterpreted "Hillside Research Station" for "Ridgeside Research Station" and designed a concept of a research lab that was built into the side of a ridge or cliff with a subterranean lab and puzzles. I'll put up the concept art for that area next time.