Update Status (Models)

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Update Status (Models)

Post by Rebel »

Hey Rem, not pushing you or anything like that, just wonderin' how everything is going with the Modelling. Any new renders you care to show off?

:yes:
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, I got some small models I can upload/render (shovel, pick).

I've started on a simple structure for the crater complex; the helicopter hangar. Just playing a bit with PhotoPaint, trying a new technique to mix rusty metal materials before I move on to the SS Venture (which probably will create a lot of work for you Rebel).

B29; will be workin on it every once in a while and might be last model to be inserted. I love this one, so I'm not going to rush adding the final little details and spoil it. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, even if we don't have anything to insert into the level at present, might be nice if we could show off a few more renders for an update this week.

B29 is gorgeous.... take your time. I'm imagining the work that'll be involved with the Venture, but it'll be worth every scratch of the head.

How many buildings are you envisioning for the crater? Four, five, something like that? I recall something of your ideas with regards to this area, but the memories are fuzzy.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Got a render + two models:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/tools.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/tools_v1.zip

Think I can make more of these smaller models later on.

Well, I made a sketch of the crater complex some time ago (scanner was broken, but got myself a new one), will scan it and upload it. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Excellent lookin' tools thar, Rem. Nice lines :)

*Sure if you can upload a scan, we'd all love to see it. ;)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Ok, here it is:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/scan.jpg

The dirt track at the bottom should lead directly to the crater entrance. As you can see the elevator structure at the top-right should be all the way to the left, behind the cages/fences (I made this sketch before you notified me about it's orientation, Rebel). Maybe mast should be on the ground next to the lab buildings, leaning against one so you can climb up.

Area behind the hangar should be emty, that'll be where a helicopter have landed. Might have to rotate the hangar 90 degrees so they could actually move a heli inside.

Additional vegetation can be added here 'n there. It should still kinda look like a secret lab hidden in the jungle...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Damn, that layout looks pretty good. So, basically we'll have that heliport hanger, a multiplex type of research facility and I assume that fencing to the left will be designated dino holding pens?

I like it. Also, don't lose any of this concept art that you draft up. Believe it or not, people really go in for this type of stuff.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yep. Simple fences for the pens will do, but maybe I can create something more interesting. Lets assume that InGen checked each hatchling for diseases 6 months after they where born (or maybe the virus became active only after that period) so most sick animals must have been ~6 months old (someone can make up an interesting storyline on the DX thing?). Thus no big fences required. All species had to be kept separate. Raptor pen fence was electrified.

Can also put some cages there, in which they where transported from Site-B to this island (with the helicopter).

Lab complex should include:
-decontamination room (shower thing, plastic suits in lockers etc.)
-autopsy room
-hi-tech lab (computers, microscopes etc.)
-secured (cold)storage (to keep cadavers, dangerous chemicals)
-restroom
-meeting room (with animated projection screen!)

I keep most of my drawings, tho I usually scan stuff and save it on the comp before I throw stuff away. But I don't draw that much anymore... :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, it all sounds mighty fine, Rem. Even when nothing in particular is ready to go, it's still nice to discuss these matters.

;)
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Wow, thats just awesome Rem! Is there anything this guy can't do? :lol: Lookin forward to see this later on!
Andres
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Andres »

Me too :)

Can I ask how long (very roughly speaking) it takes a 3D artist to model and texture objects? eg. something simple like a shovel, vs. something complex like the Ops center. I'm just curious.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, the shovel and the pick, all together with texture, took me about ~30 minutes to create.

Other things like the lighthouse ~2-3hours. The caverns about ~7 hours I think, but that one is pretty complex. Even though you can copy 'n paste parts you still need to go thru all elements and check for seams and whether it intersects with other objects.

I rarely finish a model without taking a break though. I think it helps you to see errors you've made that before you wouldn't have been able to spot because you got so familiar with the image on your screen. See things (sometimes litterally) from a fresh perspective. I once finished a F15 jetfighter and I thought it was pretty much perfect, but the next day I looked at it I didn't like it at all; all the dimensions where incorrect, wings to small, landing gear to big etc.

Generally, the more complex a model is, the more time it costs. But also simpler models like character skins can consume a lot of time to create, but rather because it takes several tries to make it as close as possible to a real world creature. Also, with some objects that are very familiar might seem simple but they do have to be accurate to look real. I first got the blade of the shovel wrong and it just didn't look like a shovel at all. Took me several tries to get it right, and after I searched for some pictures on the web of shovels (yes, people put pictures of the weirdest things online, quite funny sometimes :D ).

I'm actually enjoying making models for Trespasser more than for other games because the polygon count is lower. Might sound strange but someday low polygon modeling will be an art of the past, as machines get faster and faster and can handle huge amounts of polygons...
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Amost got the hangar finished:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/hangar1.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/hangar2.jpg

Thought the rusty holes in the metal roof would add atmosphere, and I think it worked out. Broken windows and some doors will be added.

Used an exponential gradient with a tiny little bit of noise as opacity map for the light effect. Texture will probably won't look as good in-game (like with the clouds) as it needs to be converted to 16-bit but I think I can solve that by scaling the texture down so texture filtering will make it look smooth again...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Lookin' mighty fine, Remdul. ;)

*That's textured light coming down through the tear in the hanger roof, correct? Either that, or would a dummy model using the alpha channels do better?
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

No, I don't think so. I think this will work just fine. :)