crater lab complex

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Great, shrub... fits perfectly. ;)

*Btw, and a bit off topic to boot, but I was messin around with our main waterfall and I think we can use the same exact animation sequence as the smaller falls. (sloppy representation of this in below pic)

http://www.trespasserextras.com/mfalls.jpg

... and here is a little waterfall scene I put together in our testzone using the same animation sequence.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Rebel, we're closing in our deadline, obviously, and there's still a considderable amount of work to be done. I got my last examn tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of time from then on.

By now we have a working pipeline for dino creation. So dinos don't seem to be much of a problem anymore, just tweaking that can only be done when we have them running around in the game.

So I'll focus on the major tasks left:
-SS Venture
-B29
-caverns part II
-dinos

And of cource the other stuff:
-lab stuff
-big waterfall

I think that the ss venture will require a lot of work once it is inserted (scripts, lots of physics objects), so I think that is what we should focus on the coming days. You agree?

I'll try to upload an early version of the model today, so you can put it in place and start adding physics objects.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Whatever works best for you, Remdul. I assume that the SSVenture is going to be alot of work, (as it was for you) but that's the nature of the beast.

Lab wise, I'd still like to get the crater gate, helipad ground texture, copter and control setup done sometime soon as well. (oh, and our portapotty! Can't forget about biological functions. :D )

Caverns, Pt. II. I'd love to have that little, wooden security shack down in the last section not built, as per discussion. (Lock an airtank in there). You mentioned that the last section of tunnel going down towards Caverns II wasn't permanent, but I hope that you can stay true to the original piece since the landscaping in that slope area is a bitch and changing it would be incredibly difficult due to the upper tunnel's positions.

B29: I love that model ..... the nose art is something else. What I'd like to have you do with this model, as well as the Venture, is do a quick import in a dummy level before upload so that you can give me a general idea as to where you think the model's locations would fit best and then afterwards when I import, I can tweak their locations and scale if needed.

Dinos: What might be easiest, is to revamp our raptors first, since a little face change and perhaps a little added length of the arms would be all that is needed (besides textures, of course) to redo the beasties. (I still like the look of the stone raptor's face in our tc-level)

Honestly, even if we give it complete hell in the next several weeks, I really don't see us finishing this Island completely for at least several more months. I think an Alpha version ( for our contest winners) should come first, perhaps just with one new dino (could be the raptor) and hopefully with the ending intact, and later perhaps, we should seriously consider planning for a beta release perhaps for late March. These projects generally seem to take at least a year to complete properly, and May would be that year. I think by then a final version of the level could be completed.

Waterfall: If you took a look at the watefall in the newer testzone, I think you'd agree that using the same script animation for the large isle waterfall would not only work, it'd look good too.

Oh, btw, and I hate to be a pest, but I'd really love to have a multiple meshed bat model for the cavern's power station. I left the ceiling open there on purpose so that a few could fly up and out of view.... think it'd look neat, especially with sound effects.

*A mouse running across a girder of the hanger would be cool too.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure, will have that stuff in there. :)

Almost have the ship's engine room done:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/engnroom1.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/engnroom2.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/engnroom3.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/engnroom4.jpg

Will look pretty neat with these textures, room is flooded to waist height. Will add an generator that powers the hydraulic system, maybe a few control panels etc.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Say, great pics! You do fantastic work, my friend. :)

(I'll have to re-read your walkthru of the venture to be sure that I have your intended operations for the interior of the ship correct)

Your Venture Walkthru

Will start on the engine room today. I think it'll look neat if it is partially flooded.
Or can water objects be moved ingame (scripted) without crashing the game? Never tried, but maybe it would be cool that after you flip a switch or turn a valve the engine room fills with water.

Anyway, here's a basic walkthru of the ship 'puzzle' I got sofar:
-enter inside ship thru hole
-entrance gets blocked somehow (jamming door or sometthing) after you're in
-have to get thru 2nd cargo hold (crate stacking)
-get inside other cargo hold, doors are closed
-go to engine room
-fire up generator which provides hydraulic power
-go inside cargo hold, press button and doors are opened
-you'll have to run to the top because after ~10 seconds the power is lost again (generator chokes) and doors close (can try infinite number of times of cource)
-once on the deck, go to bridge, find some weapons, documents, try the radio etc.
-climb down the stairs on sides of ship
-jump in water and swim to beach again

**MY comments.

First, I like the plans. Hard for me to visualize the 2nd cargo hold even with the renders as guide, but it'd be nice if we could have 2 possible solutions for exit: the 1st, the crate stacks, and the 2nd, if at all possible, perhaps we could hinge (with a mag) a girder or some over overhanging piece of ship that could be shot at, thus having it swing down and come to rest in such a way that player could hop onto this and get through the hatchway. (Just a thought)

Again, I'll have to see this first hand, but if water is already waist high, we can either lower it if you wanted, or perhaps the water would need to be raised for some reason or another. Perhaps, Anne could even drown if valves are opened up and she doesn't get out of the engine room in time.

Also, somewhere within the ship, we'll have a few items that can be used to short out the crater's entrance controls, perhaps a screwdriver in one location and a wrench in another.

I'm sure this will all come together quite nicely, especially since this is a great model to work with. :)