Retro Gamer UK Issue 188 (May 2019)

Found articles relating to Trespasser

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Retro Gamer UK Issue 188 (May 2019)

Post by tatu »

Apparently Retro Gamer did a Trespasser article recently.

https://archive.org/details/RetroGamerU ... 8/page/n83

I guess AMD is who we should blame for the buggy game. ;)

"Time has popped on the rose-tinted specs, and there’s a loyal, dedicated fanbase for the game still going strong to this day, doing wonderful things for it and banding together as a community likeonly truly great fans can."

And that is us. ;) :god:
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Retro Gamer UK Issue 188 (May 2019)

Post by machf »

Good article.
So, it's AMD's fault and not Dreamworks' that it had to be released at whatever development stage it was at the time?

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/comdex-f ... ews-7.html

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/art ... mdex08.htm
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... mdex08.htm

Damn, I wish we could in compensation from AMD at least get a look at whatever Trespasser demo level they were showing in COMDEX Fall 1997...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

I wonder if the AMD demo could be the early "JR" level? The Next Generation magazine from 1997: https://archive.org/details/NEXT_Generation_35/page/n59 have a lot of pictures of that level. It could also be that early test level with that small pond (that is also in a video).

I know some AMD articles in old PC Magazines mention Trespasser but the only image I know I've seen in those is the typical early ones with the T-Rex at the pylon in "IJ".

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm, there's a couple shots from PL in there, too... plus that earlier version of PV in 3DS MAX.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wait, I see no PL images? Except the classic dam image..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

There's another, smaller one which is taken from atop the dam...

OTOH, the screenshot from 3DS MAX that shows the PV level also includes the dam and the road that leads to it...

So the screenshots may be from this version of PV and not PL, after all...
Maybe this was back then when there was still a "Shore" level?
tatu

Post by tatu »

I've never thought about the PL images from that might have been from that PV version, it would make sense.
And that the reason the foliage is not seen in the 3ds Max is because they hid it to show the path and GeoPlant.
However, I still like the 3ds Max image cause it shows the high detail of the terrain and that they must've had some file with the whole island, at least a basic version of it (or heightmap). And of course how the GeoPlant is rotated in that early version. I wonder if they modified the terrain later or not to make it fit?

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah. And, interesting possibility. I can't wait to finally work diligently on my super-secret alter-ego-PL level...