How to use TPDinoCreator tool?

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Re: How to use TPDinoCreator tool?

Post by Tormer »

TheIdiot wrote:Is the axis orientation correct on your mesh in Max? If not, try orienting it to the world and using the "Reset X-Form" option.
I don't have Max. I use Blender to make TPM files. The problem is that Blender only has TPM exporter not importer (i don't know if someone has it over there) that's why i exported dinos in 3ds format.
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Tormer wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:Is the axis orientation correct on your mesh in Max? If not, try orienting it to the world and using the "Reset X-Form" option.
I don't have Max. I use Blender to make TPM files. The problem is that Blender only has TPM exporter not importer (i don't know if someone has it over there) that's why i exported dinos in 3ds format.
There is no TPM importer for Blender. I'd recommend getting Gmax as it has the TPM scripts, at least to be used for the TPM files, then you can export/import between Blender and Gmax :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oye, again I only skimmed, but one option might be to import a 3DS from Tres into Blender and then "fix" it, then do whatever and export it as TPM using the blender script.
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Draconisaurus wrote:Oye, again I only skimmed, but one option might be to import a 3DS from Tres into Blender and then "fix" it, then do whatever and export it as TPM using the blender script.
I did this with the Parasaurolophus but it appears very small in TPDC. When i export a 3ds dino from TresEd, it doesn't have the right size to match with the skeleton of dinosaur preset in TPDC. Is there a way to export 3ds dinos from Tresed with their in-game size?
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
tatu

Post by tatu »

Tormer wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Oye, again I only skimmed, but one option might be to import a 3DS from Tres into Blender and then "fix" it, then do whatever and export it as TPM using the blender script.
I did this with the Parasaurolophus but it appears very small in TPDC. When i export a 3ds dino from TresEd, it doesn't have the right size to match with the skeleton of dinosaur preset in TPDC. Is there a way to export 3ds dinos from Tresed with their in-game size?
No, you need to export a dinosaur as TPM in order for it to contain the bones properly. That is why exporting and importing dinosaurs through 3DS doesn't work in TresEd/GeomAdd either.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

So I'm just gonna hijack this thread for a bit because I don't want to create a similar one for the same topic :batman: . I've been looking at these tutorials, trying to rig a model for the game, but I can't seem to get it right.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Idk if it has to do with me rigging the wrong vertices to the wrong bones, but on top is what the dino looks like ingame, and on the bottom is the view of it in TresEd. As you can see, the model ingame is a lot smaller than the one in TresEd. Idk if it has to do with me messing up the import or export scales. I legitimately have no clue. I used the Para template in TPDC btw.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Definitely some vertices have been assigned to the wrong bones. Just do some "cleanup" work.

Oh, and there's alimit to the number of vertices that can be assigned to the same bone, though TPDC doesn't warn you about it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

machf wrote:Definitely some vertices have been assigned to the wrong bones. Just do some "cleanup" work.

Oh, and there's alimit to the number of vertices that can be assigned to the same bone, though TPDC doesn't warn you about it...
This is interesting. What is the maximum number of vertices for the same bone?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I think it is 200, numbered from 0 to 199.
I've always wondered if the introduction of "interpolated" bones in the Trespasser engine was motivated by this, so that you could assign the other vertices )over the 200 limit) to an interpolated bone.

On an unrelated note, I haven't tried JPH Legends (downloaded it yesterday), but from what I saw on Saurian Target's review, the "Site X" level looks like something that could be ported to Trespasser...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:On an unrelated note, I haven't tried JPH Legends (downloaded it yesterday), but from what I saw on Saurian Target's review, the "Site X" level looks like something that could be ported to Trespasser...
I always thought that it would be fun to port other games, or at least their levels into Trespasser. Specially older games if there is a way to export models and levels already. A lot of older games are really simple comparing to a Trespasser level!

Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Would be cool to see Site-X in Trespasser! i made that map as a survival one, facing hordes of dinosaurs and there are deadly traps too...
Coming back to TPDC, the arm position and other body parts of new dinos should fit 100% with the original Trespasser mesh?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm, I'd say no (the arms don't even move), but the overall shape should match, particularly the bone positions should match the body's joints.

In theory, it SHOULD be possible to move the bones around (since all skeletons are basically the same two ones, a biped and a quadruped one), but so far, we haven't been successful with that.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

In creating Paradeinonychus, I did manage to adjust how the bone structure worked with some trial and error adjustment. Just had to stick with it for a couple hours or some such. Rigging dinosaurs is perhaps one of the most complex things to do in Tres. I managed with machf's help...
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

It has been some time since I was last here ... In the meantime, has a TPM importer been created for Blender? If yes, it would be very helpful for me since I have been using this software for many years to make 3D objects / characters for my mods :D
tatu

Post by tatu »

Tormer wrote:It has been some time since I was last here ... In the meantime, has a TPM importer been created for Blender? If yes, it would be very helpful for me since I have been using this software for many years to make 3D objects / characters for my mods :D
Actually, YES! https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=11689 Mike has been the main tester and have gotten objects into the game with it.