How to install and run Trespasser under Linux
There are few things that are simple with Linux, thus it may come as a surprise to learn that running the first person shooter, "Trespasser" from DreamWorks Interactive, is almost as easy as installing and running it under Windows! With Winex3, Trespasser will run in hardware mode but there are slow down and freeze up issues associated with bringing the game's animate objects into frame. You may want to experiment with playing in hardware mode in areas of the game that don't contain animate objects, to see just how visually outstanding it is! In regular play though, you will have to play in software mode. You will notice a few minor stuttering problems with the audio, and will notice NO problems with the video in software. Trespasser has been installed and sucessfully run on Mandrake 9.0, Red Hat 9.0, Fedora Core one and Morphix 4.1(Debian). Your mileage may vary...
What you will need before starting
1. A licensed copy of Trespasser. Check with
for a list of on-line outlets if you don't already have it.
2. Winex3 from
. Winex3 is not free. In order to download it, you will have to become a Transgaming member. The cost is a nominal $5.00 a month for a minimum of 3 months.
Installation in 6 easy steps
1. Download and install Winex3 using Transgaming's given instructions.
2. From your favorite terminal as user, mount the Trespasser cd:
$ mount /mnt/cdrom [ENTER]
(With some distros, you must be root to mount file systems. If this is the case with yours, just mount the Trespasser cd as root, then revert to regular user for the rest of the steps. Do not install Trespasser as root, or you will have to either be root to play it, or go back and change it's permissions after the install.)
3. Start the Trespasser installation by typing:
$ winex3 /mnt/cdrom/SETUP.EXE [ENTER]
4. Follow the on screen instructions for installing Trespasser.
5. After the installation is complete, you can then run Trespasser from a terminal, or create an icon or menu entry on your favorite desktop. In all cases, the command for starting the game is:
$ winex3 .transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/DreamWorks\ Interactive/Trespasser/trespass.exe
6. You can also start Trespasser from either Nautilus or Konqueror. From your home directory go to:
.transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/DreamWorks Interactive/Trespasser
.. right click on "trespass.exe" and choose winex3 to open.
That's it! Enjoy the game!