DVD's

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

DVD's

Post by Dapper Dan »

Either of you had any experience trying to run DVD movies under Linux? I have had none. There are several players out there..Xine I think is the most popular, also, Ogle, Gnome-Vlc, Mplayer, etc. Any ideas?
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

The mst popular is for sure mplayer... It just rox. When i had a better PC i tried playing DVDs and it worked without a problem... Now i donÄt even have a dvd drive :roll:
I prefer watching dvd with a standalone dvd player on TV :)
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Yeah, as cheap as DVD player/recorders are now, that's the way to go. It's just my wife is in a hospital bed, and they don't have DVD players there, just VHS. I did manage to get it working with a download called DeCSS. It overcame the initial encryption problems and everything worked great in the beginning, but after a minute or so it started freezing and giving sound problems. I think DeCSS is a few years old now, and maybe the licensing people have found ways to thwart it. As far as the legalities go, the XP that the laptop came with, came with a licensed and paid for DVD player that works. We also paid the price for a legal copy of the movie. I would gladly pay for DVD software that will work with Linux, but the companies that make the licensed software will not port to Linux. I even tried to get the Windows player to work with Wine, but there are too many problems there. I understand them wanting to maintain control of their licensed software, but I WILL NOT be forced into using Windows XP just because the companies that hold all the licensing won't port to Linux.

Shall I rant on? OK.

It's the same as if saying, in order for you to listen to a CD player in your car, you have to buy a Ford because the companies that hold all the patents on CD players won't make one that will work in an Oldsmobile. So. If you want to listen to a music CD, you have to buy a Ford!

"But I don't want to buy a Ford.."

"FINE! THEN YOU CAN'T LISTEN TO YOUR CDs ON OUR CD PLAYERS!" :x
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

I understand what you mean... But i think MPlayer doen't even use DeCSS (in older days it did IIRC but now they have an own library) perhaps due to these licence problems. Have you tried MPlayer?
It's really a great peace of software Arpi i writing...
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Actually no, I guess I wrongly assumed it would have the same encryption issues as all the other Linux DVD players. :oops: I'll take a look at it and see if it will play this movie, thanks!