I'm going for it..

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

I'm going for it..

Post by Dapper Dan »

I'm gonna updtate my home box to Mandrake 9.2. I know, I know, 9.1 sucked bad, but I'm hoping they've worked the kinks out by now. It seems like the easiest way to go. There have been several nice upgrades to the several applications on my machine that cannot be made with 9.0 without diving head first into dependancy hell. I REALLY wish I could install Red Hat 9, but it comes down to wich I love most. IceWM GUI or Synaptic apt-get. Right, they're not the same thing but whats really crazy is, I can't get a configurator for IceWM to work on the distros where you can use apt-get, and I can't find apt-get on distros where you can configure IceWM. I dearly love Synaptic apt-get but IceWM wins my heart by a nose. If I run into too many problems I'll just reinstall Mandrake 9.0. I'm really liking what I'm reading about Gentoo. Anybody tried it? :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Installed Mandrake 9.2 this morning. The install went without a hitch. There are a few issues with KDE programs I use, but overall, (at least so far), my impression is that the problems I'll run in to will be minor compared to the advantages of upgrading. That WAS NOT THE CASE WITH MANDRAKE 9.1!!! :wink:

Importantly, all the games including Half-Life and Trespasser work as well as in 9.0. :yes:
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Here's my final assessment: Mandrake 9.2 sucks almost as bad as 9.1! It turns out that it's just not worth the effort of overcoming so many problems. You can't even get a terminal to come up from THEIR menu! This is a REAL shame in light of the fact that 9.0 was a truely great release! Sure 9.2 is still in beta, but there are just way too many things wrong with it that were not fixed from 9.1. It's puzzling how Mandrake could have gone from something as truely great as 9.0 down to something as crappy as 9.1 and 9.2.
After thinking about it long and hard, I've decided to switch to RedHat 9.0 which is a truely great release of Linux! :) I did a fresh install WITH a swap space. Trespasser installed without much trouble.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Sure 9.2 is still in beta, but there are just way too many things wrong with it that were not fixed from 9.1. It's puzzling how Mandrake could have gone from something as truely great as 9.0 down to something as crappy as 9.1 and 9.2.
i guess u know what to do in such cases? Report bug, bugs and again bugs... if nobody reports them, then how shall they be fixed?
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

If I sent in a bug report everytime one raised it's head with Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2, I'd be spending all my time reporting bugs and no time doing quality computing! Better for me to wash my hands of it, and work with redhat 9. If I run into any bugs with RH 9 I'll report them as they will be far fewer and further between! :)
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Well that's somehow a bad attitude... You use something that is free (no not only in the sense of moneyfree) and don't even consider helping... Perhaps you have not yet understood the idea behind opensource.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

:x

Sky, if you test drove a new car that had many things wrong with it, would you buy it anyway, and then tell the dealer about all the "bugs" you're having, or would you buy another car that you test drove and everything worked well?
I have supported Mandrake for over a year by (a) buying the boxed edition of their software, (b) paying dues to be a member of MandrakeClub for two years running, and (c) turning in bugs on 9.0! Which do you think Mandrake would rather have most, bug reports or my money? As I'm giving them both, you have no grounds for suggesting I may not understand opensource.
Now that I've tried and like Red Hat 9.0, I will be paying for their support, will buy their boxed edition, AND turn in bug's if I find them!
Did you buy the boxed version of Slackware 8 or did you download the ISO's? :wink:
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

i bought 9.0 which is running on my laptop :-P
but besides that i am reporting bugs _every_ time i find one and i write a patch (whenever i can - some problems are too hard ;)) - though i have only found 1 bug in slack so far... and that was only in the installer... everything else is running perfect. simple. slack. ;)

Oh, btw, i didn't know u supported them with money... your previous post sounded like "I take what i can get and dont care about the work"
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sky wrote: i didn't know u supported them with money... your previous post sounded like "I take what i can get and dont care about the work"
...and we both know what happens when we make assuptions... :lol: It must ne nice to have time to send in every bug you find.. :wink: With two jobs and five computers, I would never get anything done if I sent in every bug, even with JUST Mdk and RH 9's :lol: For the last year, thousands of us sent in money and bug reports on Mdk 9.0, and what did it get us....9.1 and 9.2?! :?
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Perhaps you should have stayed with slack ;) Like i said, i found only on slack bug in nearly two and a half years :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I enjoyed my brief stint with Slack except for, it only took a few attempts at compiling tarballs to realize I didn't have the patience for it. Linux (Unix) was reliable enough to put a man on the moon, but my employees at the radio station can screw it up in 2 seconds! last Sunday night, when I went in, there were over FORTY instances of programs running on the same box! Rather than close out an application when done with it, someone would just hit the "-" box, and move on to something else! Had we still been using Windows, there would be a crater where the pc is!
Right before I switched away from Mandrake, my home box with 9.0 ran solid as a rock with no problems except the occaisional Galeon or Evolution crash, both of which are easily addressed. That's why I love Linux! It's a bitch to set it up the way you want it, but once you get it configured, it just runs and runs, almost problem free! :D
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

As long as you don't give the root password to your employeers they can't do much damage ;)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

LOL! They don't, and you wanna bet they can't? :lol: