Level 1: RTJP~Helipad Development

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Level 1: RTJP~Helipad Development

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Don't forget the rust indentations...
:P We haven't gotten THAT far yet. If only Lee had added parallax mapping...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, I've been busy the past few weeks, but just a few minutes ago I went back to add a couple of new models to RTJP~Helipad and apparently a mesh must have exported incorrectly, because I ran into the dreaded "GeomAdd.exe has stopped working" error message, which resulted in the destruction of my level files. Wouldn't be surprised if the following infuriated shout of frustration woke the neighbours.

So that's about a month of progress gone right there, as I didn't back the files up since I didn't expect anything to go wrong - I've never had anything go wrong when importing fresh, unscripted models into the level before. :x Very frustrating, especially since I don't actually know what caused this to happen, as the meshes were all fresh out of Max. I hadn't done a whole lot of work in that time, but the work I did was mostly tedious fence-laying - one of my least favorite things to do. A model or two was also lost, but fortunately I just reorganized my model folder, so I can retrieve these quickly and safely.

Really disheartening stuff, but that's how it goes sometimes, I guess. That'll teach me to start a modding session without backing up. :cry:

EDIT: Phew, turns out I had a backup file stored elsewhere on my system. I've now only lost about a couple of days of work, which can easily be repaired and probably even done better this time. Crisis averted!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Are there any elements of develompent for Helipad that AREN'T tedious and forward level progress significantly?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Are there any elements of develompent for Helipad that AREN'T tedious and forward level progress significantly?
Nothing that can really be done in the level itself at this time. The "tedious" part is really just laying down fences and sections of tour track, since it takes so long to position them correctly. Thing is, having the fences down is crucial to level design, since everything has to be built around them so that they remain accurate - especially since they can't be deleted once they're down.

I guess there's still a fair amount of modelling to get done, which is definitely more fun than placing miles of fences! Most of the modelling stuff is somewhat minor though, other than finishing off the Visitor Center, Emergency Bunker, and Main Utility Shed, plus making the remaining vehicle meshes.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Once the first animals had been transferred to Isla Nublar, Jurassic Park Animal Control comissioned gates such as this one in locations leading to areas which might be considered below the safety requirements for InGen's security protocol. Should one of these containment areas become compromised, the intent of these gates was to prevent the creatures which may have escaped their initial holding pens from moving deeper into the Park...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That description is kinda funny heh. "You, dino breaks free of the first fence... I'm sure it'll be tired enough by the time it reaches the second, we can afford weaker one there." "Yeah, yeah!"
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:That description is kinda funny heh. "You, dino breaks free of the first fence... I'm sure it'll be tired enough by the time it reaches the second, we can afford weaker one there." "Yeah, yeah!"
:P Spared no expense. Although the secondary fence is hardly weaker - it's composed a series of fortified concrete gates like this one bridged by the lighter security fences seen in JW. Besides, just look at the fortifications around that Raptor Pen, there's no way they could possibly escape from that.

EDIT: Locked some of the older topics and edited their initial posts to direct them to this thread, as I noticed the Moddb traffic was mostly coming from those threads and I don't want people to be misinformed.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Scattered throughout the ruined Park itself are many of these small, concrete structures designed to hold supplies, equipment, and animal care products. Dug into hillsides and hidden underground to camouflage their utilitarian exterior, many of these buildings have gone untouched over time due to their remote locations, resulting in much of the potentially useful material contained within to remain packed away in excellent condition.

Resurrected this model from the previous version of the mod since it still holds up excellently, and decked it out with a ton of clutter, both new and old. You can see the results of a week's worth of film-accurate crate design and research paying off here! As for the exact location of this building, you'll have to find out yourself. :wink: I think it's also possible to say at this point that the level is really beginning to shape up, and that about a quarter of the playable area is essentially finished! As things begin to come together, I'm starting to see good places to implement puzzles, battles, ambushes, mazes, and all sorts of neat minor locations - definitely my favourite part of level design.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*prepares Idiot-Bunker search party*
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:*prepares Idiot-Bunker search party*
:lol: "Idiot Bunker"...great band name.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Deep in the heart of Isla Nublar, a still-standing bridge crosses a deep, rocky ravine, dried up since the loss of power to its man-made tributary at the Central Pump Station. Although the ravine has run dry for the past five years, the pools which collect along its length during the frequent tropical storms which plague the island still attract scores of wildlife to drink warily from the Jurassic waterhole...

While it's almost unrecognizable now, this is actually the same location where I crossed under the broken bridge in the old demo video! I think my skills have certainly improved since then. Everything you saw in the demo video will still be present in the level, but in a much-improved form. 8)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I quite think your level has already earned Best in TerrainObjs
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I quite think your level has already earned Best in TerrainObjs
Glad to hear it! I usually spend around an hour per terrain texture in order to get them looking perfect.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:| Ouch
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

"Although you may not glimpse them at first, look carefully to the treetops on your left for our elusive population of segisaurus. One of the smallest dinosaurs in the park, segisaurus is an arboreal carnivore from the Jurassic period. Unlike our other carnivores, segisaurus hunts from the treetops, leaping down upon unsuspecting rodents and other bite-sized meals, making segisaurus one of the most agile predators in Jurassic Park."