Original RTJP - from 2009-11

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Original RTJP - from 2009-11

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, folks, here's a little something interesting: this is the original Return to Jurassic Park level (jpark) from back when I started on the project, just after I finished playing JPDS. This was probably my second or third level, made before my other release, Trespasser Reborn, and I believe the heightmap was my first ever Trespasser modding project. 8) I think I've mentioned this before, but I managed to dig up the files and now I'm uploading them for people to check out.
Some backstory: I'd always wanted to play an open, free-roaming Jurassic Park adventure, and I got just that with JPDS and the Trescom Level Set. But I wanted more - I wanted a game set in the ruins of the park from the original movie, so I downloaded TresEd, got used to it by making some modifications (which I no longer have, unfortunately) of the original Tres levels, and set out on a mission to build what John Hammond once dreamed of. Ultimately, this is the product I made with my limited tools and experience. My modding skills have greatly increased over time, and it shows quite a bit. There are very few new models in RTJP; almost everything - including buildings - was made out of assets I got from other places. I didn't even have any of hppav's Visitor Center models, so I had to make it myself...out of blocks. :sick: It was my pride-of-the-time, made of almost 4000 textured blocks and retextured stock assets. It's quite a wonder what can be done with limited resources! Hell, the helipad is a retextured stop sign. :D
Anyway, this is it. I don't know if it's playable in the current state, but it can be viewed in TresEd, which I recommend since most of the puzzles are unfinished as is the map itself. If you do want to try playing it in-game, you'll have to use ATX for sure, and I can guarantee that it will not be very stable! Note that this does NOT represent the RTJP product being worked on right now in any way, shape, or form. I thought I'd just put this out there to give people something neat to check out. My skills have massively improved over time, so fret not!

On to the download! It includes level files, plus a folder of old screenshots I took of the level and edited in GIMP because I thought they were kind of neat. Again, this is in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM the final product I've been developing on the forums - this was long before I even made an account here and was just snooping around for tutorials and assets, polling over the records...reading the files... :P
Ze file:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ti4w4 ... d+RTJP.rar

Tell me what you think of it. Remember, this was my first ever attempt at my own, scratch-made level, so don't hate too much! Even looking back on it myself, I see how far I've come since then. It makes me all nostalgic... :mrgreen:

EDIT:
So I went on my very, very old computer running WinXP the other day looking for something and I stumbled across my old Tres folder on my second hard drive. I found a few extremely old levels I made years ago, the oldest dating back to 2008. One of the levels was labelled "jpark", so I had to open it up. Sure enough, it was the first ever version of RTJP - the complete and utter original, which I started in 2009. It appears I'd updated it sometime after in 2011, but probably mistakenly or something odd. Anyway, I uploaded it for completion purposes...it isn't much, just a few fences, gates and such on the foundation of my old Nublar heightmap. I think I made it as a test to check out the Raptor Pit and Main Gate that hppav made in an East Dock style setting. Eventually this blossomed into the final story of Return to Jurassic Park - at the time, the idea was actually called "Jurassic Park: Primal Instinct".
The story behind Primal was that Diane Forman was one of the BioSyn agents waiting on the ship to retrieve the dinosaur embryos that Nedry had stolen (before The Game came out and told that story!). Inevitably, she realizes he isn't going to make it to the ship, so she goes into the park to find him herself a couple hours after the T. rex attack. She does not find the embryos buried in the mud, and decides to go deeper into the park to try and find an alternative to them. Of course, the fences are down and the power out, so she is eventually trapped on the island when her ship is too critically damaged to leave the island following the storm and has to go around doing various tasks to repair it until she eventually escapes, calling in an airstrike to destroy the island. Just a bit different, huh?
Anyway, here's the file - I think it may actually be playable, but don't take my word on it.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/af5nx ... ersion.rar
Last edited by TheIdiot on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrShaw
Triceratops
Triceratops

Re: Original RTJP - from 2009-11

Post by DrShaw »

Why cant we use Lee CE engine to run this level? Is it due to it still missing a few ATX stuff?
~Dr.Shaw

We are tressers by heart like Anne. John made his dream come true as well as mine.
We trespass on his dream and to see the forgotten world that once was alive 65 million years ago now touchable. Who...dares to come trespass....?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

DrShaw wrote:Why cant we use Lee CE engine to run this level? Is it due to it still missing a few ATX stuff?
Yes, and the fact that performance might be altered by CE's extra settings. You can try it, but it may not work or it will not run well. Like I said, it's best to just check it out in TresEd.
DrShaw
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DrShaw »

Oh. Ok then
~Dr.Shaw

We are tressers by heart like Anne. John made his dream come true as well as mine.
We trespass on his dream and to see the forgotten world that once was alive 65 million years ago now touchable. Who...dares to come trespass....?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Duuuuuuuuuuude, this level is amazing! I am consistently impressed by your level-building skills, TI, despite that you don't seem to finish projects as of yet. Thank you very much for releasing such incomplete works; I find it a far better fate for all that work than never seeing the light of day on others' comps.
Spoiler: show
I am impressed by the complexity of the paths and their contents; it seems to go beyond JPDS in certain ways like that. Less open and yet highly explorable. I was also pleased to see many JPDS assets included, many of them retextured. Aaaand awesome Visitors Lodge! You have officially realized inherent potential for that model which I never expected to see. It was of course based on JP1 concept art, for Nublar, and here it is. Looks pretty spiffy. 8)

That's an impressive VC you have there. Would like to see Sam's impression. I don't want to spoil it for him and others but you did what he notes as a common boo-boo for the control room, eheh. There were some rather bizarre inaccuracies such as a "foyer" between the rotunda and the cafeteria, but in most cases I liked the original content you designed for the VC. Pretty sweet and I wish I could go to it ingame.

I uh, found the PV-ish road interesting. Contained a lot of familiar elements, though I'm not sure what the facility in the Geo Plant's place was intended to be. I also really liked the Aviary with all those walkways. :D
Finally, I would say this represents the most complete Nublar mod for Trespasser to date. Impressive - but you are not a Jedi Master yet. ;)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Duuuuuuuuuuude, this level is amazing! I am consistently impressed by your level-building skills, TI, despite that you don't seem to finish projects as of yet. Thank you very much for releasing such incomplete works; I find it a far better fate for all that work than never seeing the light of day on others' comps.
Thanks - though I still look back at this and see SO much room for improvement. But yeah, I've always been one to get near completion and then suddenly find some massive change (in this case, the release of Sam's VC) which causes me to stop, or run into problems in the process...though by this point I'm pretty good at avoiding common Tres issues which ruined my other levels.
I am impressed by the complexity of the paths and their contents; it seems to go beyond JPDS in certain ways like that. Less open and yet highly explorable. I was also pleased to see many JPDS assets included, many of them retextured. Aaaand awesome Visitors Lodge! You have officially realized inherent potential for that model which I never expected to see. It was of course based on JP1 concept art, for Nublar, and here it is. Looks pretty spiffy. 8)
I think the less open portion stems from the inclusion of the fences everywhere and the fact that I tried to be at least somewhat accurate to the film. Many of your JPDS assets are still going to see the light in RTJP since they're just so damn beautiful. :) As for the Lodge, yeah, I basically took your model and threw what I imagined it to look like on the foundation. This is somewhat how I would like the new Safari Lodge to look, though obviously it can be expanded and planned out better with new models. Was there any specific feature of the lodge that you really liked?
That's an impressive VC you have there. Would like to see Sam's impression. I don't want to spoil it for him and others but you did what he notes as a common boo-boo for the control room, eheh. There were some rather bizarre inaccuracies such as a "foyer" between the rotunda and the cafeteria, but in most cases I liked the original content you designed for the VC. Pretty sweet and I wish I could go to it ingame.
Hmm...how was the control room wrong? At the time, I didn't know much about the VC's interior...it was pretty much just guesswork. The foyer was sort of there because I couldn't fit the cafeteria into what I had already made for the building, so I threw something else in there instead. :sick: The room to the right when you walk in with the palms and such was supposed to be like the "Dinovision" thing at IOA, with big dinosaur models you could view the eyesight of. Just never got around to modelling until I was about done with the project.
I uh, found the PV-ish road interesting. Contained a lot of familiar elements, though I'm not sure what the facility in the Geo Plant's place was intended to be. I also really liked the Aviary with all those walkways. :D
The PV-ish road was intentionally PV-ish; I wanted to include it to sort of give players who had never seen PV a taste of it. The structure at the end would have been the Hydroelectric Plant; the moat would have been fed by a waterfall, which in turn flowed into the large building and turned the turbines. I think the building located where the HyP is now was my second incarnation of it, and the location of the old HyP at the end of PV would have been the Windmill Power Station instead.
And, not to spoil the surprise, but I have something similar in mind for the final RTJP in the Aviary. But it'll be done a lot better. :D
Finally, I would say this represents the most complete Nublar mod for Trespasser to date. Impressive - but you are not a Jedi Master yet. ;)
I think it's really the only nearly finished Nublar mod yet, aside from East Dock. And one day it will be finished - and then I will be the master. 8)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Was there any specific feature of the lodge that you really liked?
Well I guess the part I like most is just that it looks like the concept art; I like to see unrealized potential be realized. I also like how it's accurate to JP even though it wasn't in the film; cool stuff. I would say its accuracy to the concept art is the best part.
Hmm...how was the control room wrong?
Well, it was underground! 'Tis not supposed to be.
At the time, I didn't know much about the VC's interior...it was pretty much just guesswork. The foyer was sort of there because I couldn't fit the cafeteria into what I had already made for the building, so I threw something else in there instead. :sick: The room to the right when you walk in with the palms and such was supposed to be like the "Dinovision" thing at IOA, with big dinosaur models you could view the eyesight of. Just never got around to modelling until I was about done with the project.
Hmmm... I don't remember "Dinovision". I remember the hatchery and the thing where you turn yourself into a dino, though.
The PV-ish road was intentionally PV-ish; I wanted to include it to sort of give players who had never seen PV a taste of it. The structure at the end would have been the Hydroelectric Plant; the moat would have been fed by a waterfall, which in turn flowed into the large building and turned the turbines. I think the building located where the HyP is now was my second incarnation of it, and the location of the old HyP at the end of PV would have been the Windmill Power Station instead.
This last sentence confuses me... Could you clarify?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Was there any specific feature of the lodge that you really liked?
Well I guess the part I like most is just that it looks like the concept art; I like to see unrealized potential be realized. I also like how it's accurate to JP even though it wasn't in the film; cool stuff. I would say its accuracy to the concept art is the best part.
Excellent - then you'll love the new Safari Lodge since it's going to be based as much on concept art as possible, even more so than the one in this old RTJP and the one with the bridges in the last incarnation.
Hmm...how was the control room wrong?
Well, it was underground! 'Tis not supposed to be.[/quote]
Ooh, I see. Yeah, I thought it was on the ground floor when I started and only realized my error a bit late. It's kind of hard to move all those blocks around once they're set up.
Oh! Just curious, did you catch the Walking Dead reference by any chance..? :P
At the time, I didn't know much about the VC's interior...it was pretty much just guesswork. The foyer was sort of there because I couldn't fit the cafeteria into what I had already made for the building, so I threw something else in there instead. :sick: The room to the right when you walk in with the palms and such was supposed to be like the "Dinovision" thing at IOA, with big dinosaur models you could view the eyesight of. Just never got around to modelling until I was about done with the project.
Hmmm... I don't remember "Dinovision". I remember the hatchery and the thing where you turn yourself into a dino, though.
Trying to remember, uuummm...it was in the Discovery Center, on the right when you come in the front door in a different hall. Actually,
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
There's a brachiosaurus and a stegosaurus off camera, too. You climb in a little booth between the dinosaur's legs and look through a periscope of sorts, and you can move the dino's heads around and see what they see.
This last sentence confuses me... Could you clarify?[/quote]
Now that I reread it, it confuses me too. :sick: What I meant to say, I think, was that the structure at the end of PV was originally going to be the Hydro Plant, but after realizing it was rather unrealistic for such a small plant to power the island, I decided to move the Hydro Plant to the mouth of the Jungle River - the new version is the big structure with a little dam and bridge running through it near the East Dock. The old location at the end of PV was now going to be used as the Windmill Power Station instead. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
Was there any specific feature of the lodge that you really liked?
Excellent - then you'll love the new Safari Lodge since it's going to be based as much on concept art as possible, even more so than the one in this old RTJP and the one with the bridges in the last incarnation.
Sounds good!!
Hmmmm no, and I'm not really familiar with Walking Dead...
Trying to remember, uuummm...it was in the Discovery Center, on the right when you come in the front door in a different hall. Actually,
Click on Image
There's a brachiosaurus and a stegosaurus off camera, too. You climb in a little booth between the dinosaur's legs and look through a periscope of sorts, and you can move the dino's heads around and see what they see.
Whoa cool! I kinda remember being able to look in something, but 1) I don't remember what I saw 2) certainly did not remember that you could move the dino's heads...
Now that I reread it, it confuses me too. :sick: What I meant to say, I think, was that the structure at the end of PV was originally going to be the Hydro Plant, but after realizing it was rather unrealistic for such a small plant to power the island, I decided to move the Hydro Plant to the mouth of the Jungle River - the new version is the big structure with a little dam and bridge running through it near the East Dock. The old location at the end of PV was now going to be used as the Windmill Power Station instead. :)
Aha coolness.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I thoroughly enjoyed the comics and the video games. There's a door in the hallway leading past the Control Room (on the left from the cafeteria) which says "Don't Open Dino Inside" on it - it's a reference to this:
Click on Image
I made that the day I saw that WD episode after deciding it looked pretty close to the feeling I wanted in RTJP. :mrgreen: If you go up to the barricaded door in-game, a Raptor hits it from behind and the doors are opened slightly. It's actually a pretty damn good jumpscare.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I thoroughly enjoyed the comics and the video games. There's a door in the hallway leading past the Control Room (on the left from the cafeteria) which says "Don't Open Dino Inside" on it - it's a reference to this:
Click on Image
I made that the day I saw that WD episode after deciding it looked pretty close to the feeling I wanted in RTJP. :mrgreen: If you go up to the barricaded door in-game, a Raptor hits it from behind and the doors are opened slightly. It's actually a pretty damn good jumpscare.
Haha nice. Actually I do remember seeing that in TresEd... Too bad I couldn't get to it ingame. Perhaps something similar should be done in the new RTJP.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draco
Yeah, was thinking of doing such...not sure where though. I'm thinking it should be somewhere out of the way in a building we haven't seen before...maybe somewhere in the Safari Lodge of Water Treatment/Desalinization Plant.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

See first post - more old crap released!