The New Island

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

The New Island

Post by TheIdiot »

Finally back to posting here! It's been a bit of time, but there's been much discussion behind everyone's backs (mwahaha) and now seems about time to let everyone know what's going on. :P
First off: Isla Nublar has been scaled waaaaaay up. A lot. It's now a 4096x4096 size map, as opposed to the original 2048x2048. What that means is that it's now four times the size it was previously, allowing for much more detail, film accuracy, and most of all, things to see! The disadvantage here is that the original map I've been previewing all year round has been scrapped - though one day it may well see a release to the public. I think the size change will really improve the "feel" of being trapped on Jurassic Park, with the mountains being probably about double the height they were before so that the average tree doesn't rival the peak of Nublar Mountain at 2000+ feet. I've been working on the helipad for now, and it's looking pretty good even without any objects added - far more accurate than the old version, and a lot more epic! :) Plus, the actual road/fence map has had some slight changes here and there and will be even more accurate to the film than before - the Park itself is now about double the size, taking up more than half of the island and leaving less empty room for filler.
In addition, we have been discussing a good deal of other stuff, ranging from foliage to dinosaurs to...well, you'll have to wait and see. :batman: There's also a rtjp~testing level in addition to the framework for the other levels to be featured in RTJP, which there will be three of, though pretty much the entire game will take place on the new Isla Nublar. With the addition of the Trespasser Custom Edition engine to replace the older ATX one - thanks to Lee Arbuco - the game looks better than ever with bumpmapping, high-res textures, realistic sky and so much more. Many of the terrain textures have been redone with feedback in mind - no more washed-out grass! I hope to get some screenshots up as soon as possible to show off the new map and scenery (of which all will be new models, or old models with new textures).
Keep an eye out for the next little while for updates - I don't plan on revealing anywhere near as much as before though. You'll have to discover the mystery yourself when the time comes. :wink: