TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Painting miniatures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:43 am 
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Recently I've gotten into miniatures and I pulled out my old TLW board game from storage:

The game comes with 1 T. Rex figure and 4 raptor figures. Fun fact: the same molds were used for the previous Jurassic Park Game and the following Jurassic Park III: Island Survival Game. Here is a picture of the raptors:

As you can see, they are this glossy olive green color, which is a far cry from the tiger colored raptors from the movie so I repainted the miniatures to be more accurate and painted the base black, and glued on some dirt and ferns. I think they turned out pretty good:

For those of you wondering, I haven't touched the T. Rex from the board game. Instead I'm working on a T. Rex I got at the dollar store which is more in scale with the raptors.

Post subject: Re: Painting miniatures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Fun trivia there, and hey that's pretty neat. :mrgreen: I myself have ventured off into the practical-effects department with stop-motion animation of Jurassic toys, very nice to be actively engaged and not sitting at a screen the whole time. :statue:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 am 
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Thanks Draco.

Did you paint some of the toys or otherwise modify them?

I agree, as much as I like computers and video games, it's nice to be able to create something with your hands and physically touch something. I'm guessing the feeling is why board games and 3D printers have been on the rise for the past decade, but I digress.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:11 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

I love this, it's something I've always wanted to do but I simply don't trust myself to paint those things, especially since it's difficult to get your hands on the original 3 main JP games. I kind of like the simplicity of the flat-coloured miniatures anyway, to me it makes it feel more uniform and somehow easier to distinguish. Might one day have a crack at painting the some dinos from JP3 Island Survival as I have two copies of it...I'd probably paint the Raptors and Rex in their JP1 patterns, though.

That reminds me: a few days ago an idea brought me awake etc etc (you know the rest), and I jotted down a summary of an idea I had for a Jurassic Park-themed cooperative survival board game similar in mechanics to Dead of Winter...more on that later. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:53 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Pretty cool, Nick. Both you and Drac must have a steady hand a lot of patience. I suffer from periodic hand tremors, so I could never, ever do anything like that. Good thing I'm not a woman; if I tried to put on makeup I'd look like a clown!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 am 
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

@TheIdiot
Thanks!
You shouldn't really worry about that, if you do screw up the paint and/or you want to revert them back to their original solid color, the paint should come off by bathing the figures in some industrial strength cleaner like Purple Power or Simple Green and brushing them with a small brush.
Man, tell me about it, I was looking into getting the first game and it's nearly impossible to find and it's super expensive. I was also looking at the new Jurassic Park: Danger! game, but it uses blocky wooden dinosaurs. It still looks fun though.
Dead of Winter? The zombie game? Sounds interesting.

@Rebel
Thanks! Yeah, especially at this scale, you need steady hands.
Man, that must suck, at least you have a good sense of humor about it. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:23 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Ah Nick, so I have done a limited amount of customization work, including the painting of a raptor toy as Tribe B:

Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)

I do also suffer from a severe movement disorder and sometimes these things aren't practicable.. however with my recent forays into stop-motion photography I have noticed that my symptoms at least temporarily improve, that and with the regular jogging. I'm makin' this shit while I still can and it's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 pm 
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

That's pretty good! The beige section looks a little too bright though, you could give it a black wash and it would look even better.

I've finished repainting the dollar store T. Rex, here is what it looked like before:

(I forgot to take a picture of it before priming it, so you'll have to settle for a picture of it in the bag, with its friends. :lol: )

...and after:

I think it makes a convincing TLW bull T. Rex. It has issues standing up, so I'll have to make a base for it, but not bad for a dollar store toy.

Here is the maquette I used as a reference:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:51 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Very noice! That is the basis of the original Tres green-rex, which seems to still be what they started with for the male in retail.
On the beige paint, I mixed colors on and off a considerable amount before deciding I'd better go with what I had. Was an early experience for me as far as painting goes and I'm still not too experienced. I should post more of my work later on.
And, mini off-brand dino toys rock :god: