Beta 96 Parasaurolophus in Action

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Beta 96 Parasaurolophus in Action

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Decided to upload a video of the Parasaur found in the Town level from Beta 96 in action. I also demonstrate it can attack the player.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKzjt00Z ... ideo_title

Other notes: In both the retail EXE and ATX EXE, this guy will be invisible due to his low res textures not being compatible with the final's game engine or something like that. As you all are aware, he uses a single texture for his entire body. Just a word of warning to those of you using the retail and ATX EXEs: Due to its invisible status, use caution since it might try to attack you. And yes, it's strangely the only Parasaurolophus programmed to attack the player. (that I know of anyway.) Being invisible doesn't scream fair either. You can still see its collision data in both Final version EXEs with the Bones cheat though thankfully
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Beta 96 Parasaurolophus in Action

Post by machf »

It's not becauseof the texture... it's because it uses pre-programmed polygon vertex assignments (PVA) as opposed to later dinosaurs using t-scripted ones... remember that "int PVA = -2" they all have? This para instead has something like "int PVA = 1000" (it may be 2000, 3000 or something else, can't remember right now) which means a predefined vertex assignment for a predefined mesh. It's thanks to the scripted PVAs that we can add new dinosaurs and not just reskinned ones. Sometime after 096 they dropped the predefined PVAs altogether. You don't see the Para because when the skeleton walks, it doesn't drag the "skin" with it (doesn't know how the vertices are attached). You'd have to manually rig it in TPDC in order for it to work in post-096 engines...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Vesiapina
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Vesiapina »

When I played the whole beta through using the beta engine only, the Parasaurolophus was visible for me.
With Trespasser, you can!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Vesiapina wrote:When I played the whole beta through using the beta engine only, the Parasaurolophus was visible for me.
IIRC it was different for everyone. Some people could see it, some couldn't.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No, it is visible in the beta engine, it becomes invisible when you run it in a later one...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah, I said that. I think he misunderstood machf. But basically, yes, it's a bigger threat if you use a later one since its invisible. Anybody feel like fixing the Para's problems and texture issues (eg, higher quality version of the texture.) and uploading him on the site or something?) I want to use it in mods but I can't if the current skin is invisible.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

As I said, all you need to do is load it into TPDC and rig it manually, as it isn't rigged (it used the old PVA method which had predefined rigging stored inside the executable and was removed in later versions).
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

One problem: I can't make new skins....
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You don't need any new skins...
Vesiapina
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Vesiapina »

I am wondering why are the later engines any better than the beta engine? At least for me the beta engine worked perfectly with only maybe 1 or 2 crashes during the whole playthrough. :)
With Trespasser, you can!
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Vesiapina wrote:I am wondering why are the later engines any better than the beta engine? At least for me the beta engine worked perfectly with only maybe 1 or 2 crashes during the whole playthrough. :)
The later engine is more stable since it's more developed. And why the beta engine worked for some and some not could be what kind of computer you use.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I've found the beta's strangely unstable in Software mode. Hardware mode has less instability but may crash if something happens, like you collide with an object the wrong way, or get teleported to "Stegosaurus land".