Walkthrough Part Four - Industrial Jungle

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Walkthrough Part Four - Industrial Jungle

Post by tatu »

CHECK THE MAIN PAGE

Discuss part four of the walkthrough here.

Use the quote code to take the quotes from the walkthrough

Code: Select all

[quote]Text[/quote]

tatu
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
NoTrespassing
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Walkthrough Part Four - Industrial Jungle

Post by NoTrespassing »

This is cool. I wonder if Combat at the Pond was the Rex vs. Raptors or Rex vs. Parasaurolophus? Little here seems to have made it to the final version of the game, but those falling trees hung in there for a while. I really have no clue why the falling trees or the swamp (which sounds incredible, at least we'll be getting one in Dark Secrets when it's finally released, it is still in production right?) was cut. It's all very possible in Tres, as opposed to some things where they were just crazy for trying in 1997. Is using a pole to steer a raft in a pond possible in Tres? It seems like it could be, although a bit difficult.
The thing that shocks me is how few dinosaur encounters there are. There weren't any dinos in The Beach, two or three in The Jungle Road. It's very realistic that they're using dinosaurs sparingly.
Makairu said in the Tres General forum, "I want to know how it would play as a survival horror, like it was originally going to be." It looks like we have our answer.
So far, on this walkthrough, Plantation House is my favorite level. How about you guys?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Interesting, the swamp is mentioned (as evidenced by the presence of the "swamp planks" under the terrain in IJ). But more interesting is the presence of a lake here in IJ... so that's where the raft and paddle would go? And are those concept renderings showing a lake supposed to be from here rather than the Plains, then?
Not many mentions of what we actually find in IJ, though (except for the beginning).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

No, they're from the plains. I'll point it out when we get to that point of the Walkthrough.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

This was an especially interesting walkthrough. Lots of stuff we would never have dreamed up for IJ. The vast muddy area from the E3 photo and BioSyn heli dump seems likely to have been the remnant of this big lake.
Also found it amusing how almost the entirety of IJ3 was undeveloped at this stage... To me it seems like a lot of this walkthrough was written at different stages, including some before and some after certain voiceover recording sessions.
NoTrespassing wrote:(which sounds incredible, at least we'll be getting one in Dark Secrets when it's finally released, it is still in production right?)
Indeed, both swamps and the marsh are finished, excepting any CAnimals that might wander around therein. Funnily enough they are all in the first sublevel.
However, I'm afraid rowable boats are just not doable in Tres. "DracoMaster" was once working on a level which was originally going to have something like this - I modeled a raft for him and everything, but when we were testing the raft as something to stand ontop of as it floated, we discovered that massive floating objects tend to go bonkers in Tres water and start bouncing around several feet above the water. There's not even a chance to attempt paddling.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooo I found myself reading the IJ1/IJ2 portion of the Walkthrough last night, and I must say that I have a new appreciation for the Blighted Forest. Clusters of dead trees separated by glade space, fallen trunks of sometimes immense size and useful in evasion of Raptors... It seems the Blight actually starts further back, in the final portion of the IJ1 gorge region, where rotten timbers may be tipped over to cross from side to side. I got a generally very creepy-ish/dead vibe, from reading about its appearance. Actual rot in the wood, trees old enough that they are ready to be pushed over at any moment. TI, I am not surprised you had some desire to re-create this area. It now sits in my mind, waiting to be put into some alternate level with different circumstance..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Sooo I found myself reading the IJ1/IJ2 portion of the Walkthrough last night, and I must say that I have a new appreciation for the Blighted Forest. Clusters of dead trees separated by glade space, fallen trunks of sometimes immense size and useful in evasion of Raptors... It seems the Blight actually starts further back, in the final portion of the IJ1 gorge region, where rotten timbers may be tipped over to cross from side to side. I got a generally very creepy-ish/dead vibe, from reading about its appearance. Actual rot in the wood, trees old enough that they are ready to be pushed over at any moment. TI, I am not surprised you had some desire to re-create this area. It now sits in my mind, waiting to be put into some alternate level with different circumstance..
I have thought about recreating this area, particularily as part of IJ~HD if I ever got around to that. The IJ walkthrough is one of the most interesting, and really shows how different things could have been. This is probably the area of the game I've studied the most since IJ is also my favourite level.
If you look around the terrain in any version from pre-release to B116, you can see every location mentioned in the walkthrough, though they're not all obvious. However nearly everything is in there. Build 55 still has the lincoln logs and a lot of fallen trees crossing the gorge beyond that, which indicates the blighted forest area. You can see the "steep, slippery slope" area - which I believe is the section just beyond the first Tribe B Raptor in retail - and the "Raptor chase through the Blighted Forest" area is just beyond that and immediately before the lake, where the terrain is more flat. Strangely in B55 it seems to me that the blighted forest became the swamp area with all those dead trees, which is strange considering there are all those trees which have "swamp" in their name that could have been intended for this area. Looking to the east of the B55 swamp, there is a hillside completely covered in dead trees...I wonder if perhaps those trees were at some point placed at the end of IJ1, forming the blighted forest.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Love the theories for this level. I didn't realize how comprehensive its Walkthrough section had been put together, that does seem pretty nice, and speaks about the dev responsible for this level. Possibly the level's very linear exploration mode was helpful.
Funny thing... For a while, I have assumed that the Linkin Logs must be manmade items left behind from before. But.. looking at their texture images, it's clear that they are half-covered in bark, still. Considering their perfectly ordered shape, this I find highly amusing. It still saddens me that the physics engine couldn't be made to operate the desired puzzles, and that to my awareness no newer attempt in gaming history has been made for such a puzzle basis...

Uh. Has anyone heard of a game which does, in fact, have similar physics puzzles in a recent engine?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Who knows. The swamp/IJ2 area needs a lot of improvements for the island mod ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Indeed... I look forward to it, but also, I look forward to IJ HD more. Such space given treatment as BE HD promises to be quite amazing. Possibly it has a chance of working better on hardware, when split into three parts.