LAB Beta - Sandy Mipmaps

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

LAB Beta - Sandy Mipmaps

Post by Draconisaurus »

Noticed somethin pretty odd when zooming around in Lab 96 today. When the beachfront textures went into mipmap, they totally changed! Go look for yourself. The mid-range mipmap(s) shows a sandy color where the grey is supposed to be, and the far-range mipmap(s) shows a total sand image without any transition whatsoever. :|!! I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this can't be an artifact of the mipmap creation. There's absolutely no grey or mixed color in the mipmap.

Analysis? My thinking is that in the earliest stages of development, the sand would -- Oh wait, 1 sec.. Yes, yes! TBeachSand01t2.bmp is the name of the grey texture we see in most places for under-the-ocean. Seems that the original plan may have been to have sand going out all the way, which gets automatically cut off by the ocean. Then maybe they were playing around with transparent ocean, and wanted it to have a grey color to look more like what *should* be under the water...?
Attachments
Lab beach stuff!
Lab beach stuff!
Lab_NewMipMap01.jpg (425.08 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Re: LAB Beta - Sandy Mipmaps

Post by makairu »

Interesting find, I like how the mipmaps are different. xD There seem to be a lot of whacky things going on like this in the beta.