Reflections About Early "Pond" Images

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Reflections About Early "Pond" Images

Post by tatu »

Welcome to my second reflection topic of the day. This is going to be a shorter one that mainly reflects on several images that appears to be the same location.

I am gonna continue to analyse the double-image with the monorail/Stego image (quick upscale):

Yes, that Stegosaurus is the same seen in several other promotional images.

While it is difficult to see, this area is taken at a pond. The key thing in the images is the fallen pine, along with the redwood trees. Both these can be found in two other images:

These images all share that fallen pine. While it appears the fallen pine have changed mesh between the images, I am very certain that these are all from the same location. If this was its own level or actually part of one of the other test levels ("JR"/Streambed) I don't know. The foliage is too different in my opinion to be the same level.

What are your thoughts?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Reflections About Early "Pond" Images

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm. I think these are all 1 level, I am wondering.. why these would be the only images from it. What about that one of a T-Rex in a forest?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I already compared those images a long time ago. You're missing another one, I think...
I haven't found the location yet.

EDIT: here, I had even been enhancing one of those images to match the colors in the other one:
Image18.jpg
Image18.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
Image1a.jpg
Image1a.jpg (50.47 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
Image11.jpg
Image11.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
Wow, all these images have dates from 2004...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

These are from 2005... not much, really:
screen3c.jpg
screen3c.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
screen3d.jpg
screen3d.jpg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
screen3e.jpg
screen3e.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
I wanted to make the ripples in the water noticeable...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nice! I don't think this area is part of any level area. As the focus appears to be focused on the Pond, at least in the images, maybe it was some water test area? Or it was made for the raptor drinking marketing shoot.

And oh I know these images have been researched before. But I thought a fresh start would be nice, specially as our knowledge have grown over the years.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Given the trees and the raptors, it may have been some corner in PV. It's not so different from this one:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Of course, it could also have been someplace in the test/demo level used for these:
Click on Image
Click on Image
Click on Image
Click on Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:Given the trees and the raptors, it may have been some corner in PV. It's not so different from this one:
Click on Image
So machf, based on the early builds we have and seeing how very empty they are, I encourage you to consider that fully-developed-looking areas in such obviously-early imagery (note the non-animated tiger raptor) are not part of the same development progression as the levels themselves.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I am with Draco here. The foliage is very different. There is a clear difference in detail of the foliage, for example the really early images have foliage we have no trace of, and they have much more branches and stuff as well. The Pond images are clearly taken "in-game" and is using foliage we have. I think we would've notice better points in the terrain or foliage to pinpoint these locations, specially with having these early builds. Not to say these might have been of one of the heightmaps in the source.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:I am with Draco here. The foliage is very different. There is a clear difference in detail of the foliage, for example the really early images have foliage we have no trace of, and they have much more branches and stuff as well. The Pond images are clearly taken "in-game" and is using foliage we have. I think we would've notice better points in the terrain or foliage to pinpoint these locations, specially with having these early builds. Not to say these might have been of one of the heightmaps in the source.
The water may be in-game, but having raptors in the same pose in two images is highly suspicious, they may not have been animated yet at that point. The image with the other raptors drinking is similar in the sense that they are also posed as if drinking, and that image is filed in the "Pine Valley" section of the Concept Art images (they're drinking from the Mayan ceremonial canal for what was likely the blood of the sacrificed victims, I guess).

I think there's somewhere another image showing that temple from the opposite angle, which I had long ago correctly identified as being from PV after studying the terrain (before we got a version of PV that included that temple), I wish I could remember which image it was... comparing the foliage in that one to this one would help.

As for the hightmaps included with the source, as I've said, two of them have been identified: one is the area from the "View" building, and the other one in a (very) minor section of the "tarpit" area. Oh, and of course, that early PV version in two different resolutions, too. "Shackscene" hasn't still been identified...

Now, what about these three screens, all from the same area?
Click on Image
Click on Image
Click on Image
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

machf wrote:I think there's somewhere another image showing that temple from the opposite angle, which I had long ago correctly identified as being from PV after studying the terrain (before we got a version of PV that included that temple), I wish I could remember which image it was... comparing the foliage in that one to this one would help.
This one?
Click on Image
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:The water may be in-game, but having raptors in the same pose in two images is highly suspicious, they may not have been animated yet at that point.
Oh, I don't believe the dinosaurs are in-game or rather not moving. Either they are static or are photoshopped in. However, I did notice this yesterday:

Click on Image
Click on Image
A closer look, it looks like the render have a very similar position as the Trike in "in-game" image. I have not taken a look if the T-Rex and Stego render fits other images as well, but both were from the same article.
The two first images are definitely from the same area. The items are similar, and the foliage around the pond is the same. On the first image, that big tree is also seen on the second image.
As for the third, same area. The objects are the same as in the first image, placed between two trees that are visible between both. The yellow-ish tree and one of the palms.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hilwo wrote:
machf wrote:I think there's somewhere another image showing that temple from the opposite angle, which I had long ago correctly identified as being from PV after studying the terrain (before we got a version of PV that included that temple), I wish I could remember which image it was... comparing the foliage in that one to this one would help.
This one?
Click on Image
Yes, that may have been it...
tatu wrote:
machf wrote:The water may be in-game, but having raptors in the same pose in two images is highly suspicious, they may not have been animated yet at that point.
Oh, I don't believe the dinosaurs are in-game or rather not moving. Either they are static or are photoshopped in. However, I did notice this yesterday:

Click on Image
Click on Image
A closer look, it looks like the render have a very similar position as the Trike in "in-game" image. I have not taken a look if the T-Rex and Stego render fits other images as well, but both were from the same article.
Interesting.
The two first images are definitely from the same area. The items are similar, and the foliage around the pond is the same. On the first image, that big tree is also seen on the second image.
As for the third, same area. The objects are the same as in the first image, placed between two trees that are visible between both. The yellow-ish tree and one of the palms.
Oh, they are definitely all from the same area, the thing is trying to figure out where it's located...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh, they are definitely all from the same area, the thing is trying to figure out where it's located...
Draco suggested TestScene a while ago. I guess it could be an early TestScene for the simple engine they had before this one, as they apparently had one in 1997.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well clearly there are only about 1 to 3, unanimated raptor poses used for all those images... And I'm thinking only 1 pose for each other dinosaur shown. That much is fairly obvious.

Looking at the Stego vs Raptors image, I am confident that is the Mayan PreColonialVillage area in PV. Makes me wonder, how related the test scenes are to actual level locations, in some instances.
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:Now, what about these three screens, all from the same area?
Click on Image
Click on Image
Click on Image
I was looking through some of the early videos we have the other day and I wanna add on some interested finds and thoughts.
This area appear in the early video with this pond, where Anne turns around and a raptor jumps at you. Be aware that the video is really low quality to begin with.
Click on Image
The two things in the middle of the pond is two barrels floating around.

As Anne turns around, if you take a close look, you will see this Pylon:
Click on Image
This Pylon location also appear in one of the other Trespasser trailers, but with more engine-like settings:
Click on Image
Taking a look at the trees, this one appears to be using the early tree texture seen in the TestScene palm.
I wonder if this could be the location used for these images:
Click on Image
Click on Image
As a bonus, from one of the trailers:
Click on Image
This is the Jeep being pushed (probably by a force trigger) onto the Mayan Face.
Click on Image
I know this Biohazard barrel has been talked about before. I am very certain this is of the unused "oil" barrel, the one with the Oil logo on it - "Poilbarrel00-00". Why? The texture names:
"Sbiobarrel00t2.bmp"
"Sbiobarrel02t2.bmp"
"Sbiobarrel05t2.bmp"

It got the Bio in the name and several ones appear not to be used (01, 03, 04).

And another bonus, before the raptor jumps on you, you get a nice view of the area behind it:
Click on Image
A lot of foliage. I wonder if this was all part of one bigger early level to test things like water physics and foliage density. And that most early images actually comes from this level but in various areas?