Reflections About Early "Pond" Images

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Reflections About Early "Pond" Images

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I always supposed that all those jungle images are possibly from one of the earliest versions of the Industrial Jungle.

I also noticed that the big tree at the pond is facing in a similar direction in both the early images and all known versions of IJ. Although, it might be a mere coincidence.
Attachments
coincidence.png
coincidence.png (728.72 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
Last edited by Velociraptor Alfa on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

machf wrote:Given the trees and the raptors, it may have been some corner in PV. It's not so different from this one:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Regarding this image, what's going on with the raptor on the far left's mouth? I don't know how many times I've looked at it, but it just struck me that its mouth looks poorly edited to be in a more open position. :lol:
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooome very interesting details, here.

Tatu, I believe you're right. There seems to be an early test level with all this brown dirt, early palms, and power pylons, that isn't actually the terrain of IJ3. (Raptor Alpha, your point is interesting but seems to be a similarly-created area.) In fact, I have more belief now, that this image is taken from a version of this test level where foliage was removed for unknown purposes:
shot2big_[2].jpg
shot2big_[2].jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
The Stego images gives us a nice view of a lost wooden crate model...

BioBarrel. That is really cool! You say "missing oil barrel", in what way is it missing? And, I would like to recreate this barrel sometime.

Slugger, the mouth there, I guess back in 1998 they were a little less sensitive about imperfections in graphics, since the field was so new and finding its feet.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Do you mean these?

That's IJ, no doubt. Maybe not quite the same, but it's evolved along the development time...
The picture with the raptor didn't have trees yet. But as I said, look at the terrain textures, not just the gravel...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: I was looking through some of the early videos we have the other day and I wanna add on some interested finds and thoughts.
I remember one vdeo where Anne is landing from some jump next to the pylon at the beginning of IJ3, don't remember which video it was.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

machf wrote:Do you mean these?

That's IJ, no doubt. Maybe not quite the same, but it's evolved along the development time...
The picture with the raptor didn't have trees yet. But as I said, look at the terrain textures, not just the gravel...
Yeah, those. And also the one with the T-rex.
tres24.jpg
tres24.jpg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 5746 times
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Regarding this image, what's going on with the raptor on the far left's mouth? I don't know how many times I've looked at it, but it just struck me that its mouth looks poorly edited to be in a more open position. :lol:
It's a static raptor. It can be seen in several other pre-release images. :P
BioBarrel. That is really cool! You say "missing oil barrel", in what way is it missing? And, I would like to recreate this barrel sometime.
Well it is not missing. Just an early version of the oil barrel with the text "oil" on it.
Do you mean these?
Yes. Well maybe IJ, but it doesn't mean it could be from another level, that just uses assets we later know from IJ. Due to the fact there is also a Pylon there, but they could've just used the assets.
I remember one vdeo where Anne is landing from some jump next to the pylon at the beginning of IJ3, don't remember which video it was.
Yeah, in one of the trailers. It fits with the E3 build.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Velociraptor Alfa wrote: Yeah, those. And also the one with the T-rex.
tres24.jpg
Also this one which is larger:

Wondering if this is the same T-Rex and the same version of the level:

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That last image of Pylon 14 is a bit more mysterious. The mixture of foliage implies yet another test level. It seems at least one pine, and possibly the thick canopy tree, are higher poly.
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

What about these? They look like they could be from the same level.
Attachments
screen4_[1].jpg
screen4_[1].jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
image011.jpg
image011.jpg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
screen41g.jpg
screen41g.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
anneraptor-2.jpg
anneraptor-2.jpg (97.9 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Velociraptor Alfa wrote:What about these? They look like they could be from the same level.
Click on Image
Click on Image
These are definitely the same level. I always through they went around almost in a circle. Also, I never noticed, but the bottom image, it got a stump that was never used in any levels we have, but we got the original one from a dev:
Click on Image
Click on Image
This could be a part of it. But it could also be part of the level seen in the Next Generation Magazine with the monorail, which itself could be from the same level. It has less foliage density comparing to the other ones here.
Click on Image
I am pretty certain this is the same level as the ones with the T-Rex and Stego. Which I still think is the same test level as in the trailer. The foliage density and the Pylon close to the hill fits.

I still don't believe most if any of the pylon images are from an IJ level. If that is the case, it is the only level that underwent THAT drastic change. Even PV from 1997 had very similar terrain as later versions.

We also have the one with the monorail station:
Click on Image
The foliage density fits more with the pond images. I can also see that unused log/stump on the left of the monorail station so it could be part of of the ones with the stream?

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That stump-find is great, I would never have seen it...

I am now wondering, on the possibility that these pylon-jungle images are really from an old version of Plains? The Hammond lines put the pylons in the Plains, while Anne sees them in Industrial Jungle. Perhaps at such an early stage of developing, this is what it looked like...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:That stump-find is great, I would never have seen it...

I am now wondering, on the possibility that these pylon-jungle images are really from an old version of Plains? The Hammond lines put the pylons in the Plains, while Anne sees them in Industrial Jungle. Perhaps at such an early stage of developing, this is what it looked like...
Hm I personally don't think so. But it gives me a thought if it could be from a tech demo. Remember how AMD was involved? They must've had something to show then to get them to invest.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
Velociraptor Alfa wrote:What about these? They look like they could be from the same level.
Click on Image
This one is from one of the earlier versions of IJ, when you first are in IJ1 about to come out into the clearing with the T-Rex... on my old HDD I have a screenshot of the same location in TresEd.
Didn't find this one, but I haven't looked in the levels included in builds 22, 32 or 55 yet. Since I did copy those to an USB stick and have them on this current HDD already, I could look at them. Likely candidates are JR, PH and IJ.
These are definitely the same level. I always through they went around almost in a circle. Also, I never noticed, but the bottom image, it got a stump that was never used in any levels we have, but we got the original one from a dev:
Click on Image
Interesting...
Click on Image
This could be a part of it. But it could also be part of the level seen in the Next Generation Magazine with the monorail, which itself could be from the same level. It has less foliage density comparing to the other ones here.
FOr this one, the same as for that other one goes: I need to look at the levels in builds 22, 32 and 55.
This is in IJ3, going towards the Town. I also have a screenshot of the location in TresEd.
I am pretty certain this is the same level as the ones with the T-Rex and Stego. Which I still think is the same test level as in the trailer. The foliage density and the Pylon close to the hill fits.

I still don't believe most if any of the pylon images are from an IJ level. If that is the case, it is the only level that underwent THAT drastic change. Even PV from 1997 had very similar terrain as later versions.

We also have the one with the monorail station:
Click on Image
The foliage density fits more with the pond images. I can also see that unused log/stump on the left of the monorail station so it could be part of of the ones with the stream?
Ah, those locations are still unidentified...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:
This is in IJ3, going towards the Town. I also have a screenshot of the location in TresEd.
I was of this same opinion previously, so much so that I found it self-evident. But with Tatu's new research, I am now in disagreement and I believe he is right.