Drac's Tres Re-Exploration

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Drac's Tres Re-Exploration

Post by Hilwo »

Loved digging through the files myself, loving reading about and seeing others do it again :)

As for the cafe paiting, still not sure what was going on here. But a slightly different version was used for the Sega 32X Kolibri game. I don't remember if there was an artist connection here, or if it was an easter egg or nod. Kolibri was released in 1995. Graphic Design and artwork was done by Zsolt Balogh, with additional artwork by Árpád Balku and András Bakai (info from SegaRetro). So the cover could be done by one of them. The crystal is tied to the game's "story", for what it's worth. Also the Sega cover has a scorpion and some sort of bug, instead of the scarab beetle and spider seen on the version in Tres.

I don't think I ever noticed that bigger seat in the cafe (best seat in the house!), lounge door in the Ops building, or the interiors in the machines in Wu's garage - nice! :)

Didn't know you could (sort of) position the diskette at Hammond's computer, either. By the way I think there was another copy of the disk in his desk. Or it was another build, but I know there was one that had another copy of the disk in his desk.

The dam doors, I don't know a lot about how Tres works, but I did look into those a while back. I think retail is the same in that it teleports one of the doors into an open position?

EDIT: Found the old Kolibri topic.
https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 20&t=10732
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Very cool thread Draconisaurus! It's very interesting to see/read about all this stuff.

One question though, as I never looked up the alpha and beta builds before what is Max Scene that you mentioned?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

RavingRaptor wrote:One question though, as I never looked up the alpha and beta builds before what is Max Scene that you mentioned?
That would be two Max scenes of the Town from July 1998. :) You can find them here: https://www.trescom.org/download/downlo ... N-RFull.7z
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hilwo, thanks... I remember that thread, but had completely forgotten about it, that's pretty neat... Huh here is a gameplay video, watched pieces of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds5klrkqvCg
It's too bad such random, non-potential-blockbuster games don't seem to be made much anymore, at least not for consoles. Or, I'm not sure, maybe the online console game stores still have stuff like this. I haven't had an online console in years and never really looked at the shops.

Also Hilwo, checking, the IT Max scenes both have the discette inside a drawer of Hammond's desk. That's an interesting detail. AFAIK all other versions we have, have the discette located elsewhere.
The dam door - the teleportation version I mentioned above is in fact the retail version. IT96 has a different method scripted, which does not work.

RavingRaptor, glad you're reading & enjoying 8) Hoping this thread helps to spread Tres knowledge about. And, Tatu is correct of course. The Max scenes were given to us by developers and represent versions of the levels that may never have been in any build.

Okay! Everyone ready? It's time for Part $#3*1!%. This time, we are still in IT96/97, but in TresEd instead of ingame. Let's go.

First, turning around to look back, and with Terrain Edit Mode... There's a line of terrain detail stretching towards the town. Why is it there? Possibly a road was made to lead out into this area, at some point? That is unclear. While the IJ dirt road COULD lead along this path if allowed to continue into IT, the IJ road was curving and this one is straight. Then again, there is a fence there.. Recall that original versions of IJ did not let the road progress all the way to the end of IJ. Possibly after the IJ3 road was extended, or at the same time, they considered pushing it into IT, but ultimately did not... Why not? The town is *right there*... Oh and a less significant note. The terrain in the IT Max scenes does not have this IJ3 terrain on the back, like this version does. So, that was added at some point.
ITterrain01.png
ITterrain01.png (146.84 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
This next bit is weird. Remember the gray boxes around the gun rack at the entrance? Well, TresEd shows that they were in fact physics boxes that didn't get their script... But, it's weird. Normally, a textureless physics box with no script, gets read by TresEd as an all-black, "Normal", visible object. But that's not the case here. These were read as "Other (misc)", which you have to turn on in the menu, and as you can see TresEd interprets them as invisible, from the fact that they get wireframe applied. How is this?? Evidently there's something in a model's information other than t-script which declares that the object is invisible, which TresEd knows about. Huh.
ITphysics01.png
ITphysics01.png (203.02 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Funny side-note... Just opened up IT116 in TresEd and noticed, that it's only the triggers, bakers, AI boxes, magnets, and some others that are the standard Pink... but, the untextured physics models are all random-generated colors instead. ?_? In fan mods they are ALL these random-generated colors. What gives? What tells TresEd to make an object pink?? I've no idea.

Inside Hammond's House... there are these little "rubble" pieces. 1, 2, and 3 appear to be missing... and the 6th is additionally labeled "TOP" without an apparent cause.

Code: Select all

"S1Rubble06TOP-00"
"S1Rubble04-00"
"S1Rubble07-00"
"S1Rubble05-00"
Tatu reports that the Max scenes have the same ones... Perhaps the first three, were made and then.. the dev got told to make new versions, and he just numbered up from the old ones. Wonder where THOSE are. They might be on a digital medium someplace. As for their purpose, I bet these would have been used by the Player to make climbable steps for navigating the house.
ITHammond07.png
ITHammond07.png (250.74 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Looking around further.. The shower doors are moveable and tangible, tho without magnet. Eventually these got merged into the building mesh. It's a little confusing, even the Mystery Model version only has a door on half of the shower... Possibly it was originally meant to be a sliding door? Or doubled up ingame? Hm. Oh, the street asphault texture has changed since the Max scenes. In fact, the Max scenes and IT96 have yet another asphault texture on the telephone wires (they are non-textured black in b116), making a total of 3... According to Tatu, there are 3-4 different ones that we don't have at all. But here are the 3 we do have:
"IT_Asphaltfinal05t2.bmp" (telephone wires)
ITasphault01.jpg
ITasphault01.jpg (116.28 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
"IT_Asphaltfinal06t2.bmp" (IT Max streets)
ITasphault02.jpg
ITasphault02.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
"trnobj_asphaltnew07t2.bmp" (b96+ streets)
ITasphault03.jpg
ITasphault03.jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
The first two are vaguely different from one another. The last one has tiny little similarities with the previous versions, but is mostly just new. Strictly speaking, according to the textures, there are 4 versions we don't have. Aslo - the older ones start with "IT_" instead of "TrnObj_"... Remember "IT_OldFence" etc.? It's interesting and my main theory is that the dev working on IT started his models/textures before the object naming standard was created. Or else, he was unaware of it for a bit, and got told by someone else. But it could point to IT being the first level worked on.

Huh it's funny... This level's missing all kinds of physics, but hey, make sure the Dumpster is working! Can't do without that. (The dumpster in retail no longer has individual physics models and can't be gotten inside.)

group PDumpster-00 = {
    string Class = "CInstance"
    bool Tangible = true
    float Density = 10.000000
    string Type = "Compound"
    string Model00 = "$FPDumpster0-00"
    string Model01 = "$FPDumpster1-00"
    string Model02 = "$FPDumpster2-00"
    string Model03 = "$FPDumpster3-00"
    string Model04 = "$FPDumpster4-00"
    string SoundMaterial = "Oil Barrel 1"
}
This set of drawers... Not in any Mystery Models we have, not in b116. It's neat. Tatu apparently made physics for the drawers once but not for the frame, so, I think I'll fix this in Drac~Test.
ITdrawers01.png
ITdrawers01.png (232.65 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Ah, the blue metal chair. I remember that for JPDS I pulled this out of the beta, nice little obj that was for mysterious reasons not present in b116... Tatu says it appeared earlier, in the IT Max scenes. Still. Anyway it is meant to go with the blue metal table
ITmetalchair01.png
ITmetalchair01.png (208.88 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Oh, Tatu has brought to my attention, bed missing textures that I missed in the IT Max versions. It's called "Ptmetalbed00-00" and we don't have any other version of it. Kinda mysterious, since we already have several other bed models. It's unclear where this one would have gone. The "normal" white wooden bed is called "PGeneralBed-00", maybe this missing one is for more wealthy individuals.
Spoiler: show
ITbed01.png
ITbed01.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 6646 times
Oh, I forgot to mention the dirt piles in the IT Max scenes, when that came up. "IT_dirtpile01-00". (Again with the "IT_" prefix.) They are here still, though will be gone by b116, replaced with terrain-dirt-piles.
ITdirt01.jpg
ITdirt01.jpg (382.25 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Huh... There are two teleport-destinations for raptors by the InGeneral Store - "TeleportDestGSRap3-00" and "TeleportDestGSRap4-00"... but according to TresEd they are not referred to by any trigger. Despite this, I DID meet one inside the store, as posted above.. Oddly one of these two teleport destinations is INSIDE the store. We assume this would be used while you were in the back, or just before you got inside. Sounds fun. "RaptorBBox02-00" is inside the Saloon, looks a StayNear anchor.. but again, nothing uses it. Why would you need an anchor inside the Saloon? Possibly an odd notion that keeping the raptor in the center of the room would keep it from hitting and killing itself on the stairs. ActStayNear doesn't work as well as that lol. Huh also in the Saloon, the first boarding room you come to has an open window. In IT96 it's blocked by a bed, and you jump through the window from outside to get a spas. In retail it's just a baretta93r with no bed puzzle.

Ah the generator building. In early versions including this one, it has little doors for the circuit things inside. I put this in JPDS~forest, making the door openable and not part of the main mesh, where you have to hit the circuits with a wrench to start the power running. This thing returns in Mountain Valley, too. Fun fact: I had to remove at least some of the occlusions from the model, because they blocked the window at the top, where you enter through in JPDS~forest.
ITgenerator01.png
ITgenerator01.png (307.15 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Oh, and in this build the outside mesh has higher detail. Those metal crossbards are flattened by b116.
ITgenerator02.png
ITgenerator02.png (535.77 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Huh... Remember that larger stool in the cafe? Apparently, the physics for all the stools are that large, just only 1 visible stool is the size. It's unclear what the IT Max cafe stool size is but I think they were small... These larger physics also don't line up with the stains on the floor texture, like the stools themselves do. Possibly even, in b96, they were debating how big to make the stools and the dev decided to include a bit of each version for helping someone decide.

Huh this is odd... That fence behind the Ops Center, it's there in the early IT Max scenes. It's here in b96 too but instead of fence physics, the same physics as the concrete wall are here... The IT Max scenes don't have physics for this spot. Ah, maybe they were in a different Max scene. Ah lol, look at this ontop of the helipad... Pretty neat. What uh, maybe they had a Trex attack planned or, something...
ITopscenter07.png
ITopscenter07.png (521.37 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Ah, this is fun. So the South Gate that was removed by the time of b96... in b96 you can see foliage that went there. There is more foliage for that spot (underground) than there was in the IT Max scenes that still had this gate. That's neat. In a sense we "know" about previous builds that we don't have, here.
(IT96)
ITterrain02.png
ITterrain02.png (228.35 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
(IT Max)
ITterrain03.png
ITterrain03.png (223.02 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Huh moving on. As I discovered ingame, the purple card reader at the East Gate doesn't work. That funny Para from the other day... Unlike the other really old dinos who use PVA (Predefined Vertex Assignments) for their animations, THIS one has lots of values listed in his t-script. I'm not sure what stage of development this was common in.

group Para_A01-00 = {
    string Mesh = "Para_A"
    string Physics = "Para_A"
    float WakeUp = 100.000000
    float Sleep = 110.000000
    int Archetype = 1
    int Team = 4
    bool ActShoulderCharge = true
    bool ActEat = true
    bool ActDrink = true
    bool ActNothing = true
    float Width = 2.000000
    float HeadReach = 2.400000
    float TailReach = 4.000000
    float JumpDistance = 1.250000
    float JumpUp = 1.000000
    float JumpDown = 0.500000
    float WalkUnder = 6.000000
    float WalkOver = -0.900000
    float JumpOver = 1.000000
    float CrouchUnder = 4.000000
    float MoveableMass = 0.600000
    float HitPoints = 150.000000
    float ReallyDie = -150.000000
    float Regeneration = 2.000000
    float DieRate = 2.000000
    float CriticalHit = 75.000000
    string Class = "CAnimal"
    int NumJoints = 21
    int PVA = 6000
    string Type = "Raptor"
    int Dinosaur = 2
    string Head = "$Para_Head-00"
    string Body = "$Para_Body-00"
    string Tail = "$Para_Tail-00"
    float Bumpiness = 0.075000
    string SoundMaterial = "TRIC-FOOT"
    bool ActOuch = true
    bool ActHelp = true
    bool ActDying = true
    bool ActWhimper = true
    bool ActWander = true
    bool ActFlee = true
    bool ActPursue = true
    bool ActMoveBy = true
    bool ActGetOut = true
    float Bravery = 0.500000
}
Strange animal. Anyway, fun thing... The other day Tatu went investigating various resources for evidence of PL. He noted that there are a ton of additional dirt-texture objs in the dam valley in IT116, compared to IT96. This is significant, and PL recreations should probably take heed to include the IT96 spread and not the IT116 spread, for purposes of accuracy. One of the trnobjs is called "TrnObjB_SndPtch00-00", though has a dirt texture on it. This must have looked pretty neat, too bad we don't have the texture. At least we can look at how it was spread over the terrain:
ITterrain04.png
ITterrain04.png (634.3 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
There are other trnobjs in the area like several different kinds of rock patches, "TrnObjB_sandareaD_02-00", several instances of "TrnObjD_Lakebed00-00" right in front of the dam, "TrnObjB_muddyarea-02", a few instances of "TrnObjB_muddyarea-00" including one up on the mountain in the billboard barrier, oh and 13 instances of "TrnObjE_SandPtch01-00". It really is what would have been a complex play of different terrain textures, like PH and all them. Sometime I'd like to see different textures applied to these and see what they looked like. Evidently PL had some nice terrain work going at one point.

Oh, this voiceover is used in the Plains area:
VA127: Not much cover, have to use the trees.
I'd always wanted to see this one used. Fun that it at least got in some version. It was part of the inspiration behind the Acacias in JPDS~plains. Hmm anyway. The dam control building, now that I look at it, actually seems pretty detailed. I never realized before but I bet some critical research went into this model, like with the Geo Plant. I think we don't notice that very often. Wonder what it was like. Moving on.. inside the floodgate, there's no skeleton but there ARE voiceover triggers. Interestingly, this one plays at the red pipe wheel:
VA142: Oh God.
And then this trigger, which you'd already have passed through, only plays if the other trigger has already fired. So, meant to play as the Player is leaving the scene.
VA144: He must have been scared. He was wounded, he crawled in here, maybe losing blood. Guess he thought it was safe.
The one inbetween, VA143, was removed from the retail... yet, is present here in b96, even though, it is the one whose trigger is not here. Possibly they didn't include it already even, because the model for what it is referring to was not created. Why would that be?
VA143: "Greenwood, Harold. USMC." Looks like it came from a novelty shop.
Anyway. That's it for IT ingame in TresEd. Now for the basement... Huh this is odd. Several basic trnobjs, have had their texture replaced. Three of them. These ones have "TGrass01t2.bmp" in this build, and have been restored to normal by b116... I uh, huh, maybe this happened while they were scurrying to reduce the number of different textures in the level, like with all those muddy Plains objects. :?
ITterrain05.png
ITterrain05.png (188.01 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Again, the standard dino vocals are here, minus Brachio, and with the grayed out Drink cube. ..Oh wait, this is really odd. Only the Raptor's gray cube is for drinking. The other ones are... hmm..

"VocalParasaurolophusWhimper01"
"VocalStegosaurusWhimper"
"VocalRaptorWhimper02"
"VocalTrexWhimper01"
"VocalRaptorWhimper03"
Bunch of grayed out whimper vocals. The actual one for the Stego is named "Stegosaur" instead of "Stegosaurus".. thus, I guess, why that one has no number. Then the other raptor vocals are thrown in with the sets of other dinos... Looking now, non-gray, regular Raptor vocals cubes (by name) are found inside the sets for Trike, Albertosaurus, and Trex. Most confusing. PS: What the... One of the vocals is called... well look:

group VocalRaptorTrex = {
    string Class = "AI Command"
    int Dinosaur = 1
    int Vocal = 12
    string A00 = "DINO-SNIFF-04"
    string A01 = "DINO-SNIFF-07"
}
Bizarre.

Over by the guns, Box01 and Box10 are back. Binary Boxes... I'm going to call them the Binary Boxes now lol. The metal folding chair has 3 magnets but they are far away from the chair itself. ...Hah! They went and made exact physics for this tiny little doorstop. For some reason this is one of my favorite models.
ITdoorstop01.png
ITdoorstop01.png (55.64 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Wow... So. There are no ingame instances, and as I noted earlier, no vocals... But this level's basement has a Brachi in it. :| Its script is simpler than retail but more complex than earlier builds.

group Brachi = {
    int Archetype = 1
    int Team = 5
    bool ActTailSwipe = true
    bool ActShoulderCharge = true
    bool ActEat = true
    bool ActDrink = true
    bool ActNothing = true
    float MoveableMass = 1.000000
    float WalkOver = -5.200000
    string Class = "CAnimal"
    int NumJoints = 29
    int PVA = -2
    string Type = "Trike"
    int Dinosaur = 5
    bool Tangible = true
    string Head = "$Brachi_Head-00"
    string Body = "$Brachi_Body-00"
    string Tail = "$Brachi_Tail-00"
    float HitPoints = 1000.000000
    float ReallyDie = -200.000000
    float Regeneration = 2.000000
    float DieRate = 2.000000
    float CriticalHit = 100.000000
    bool ActHowl = true
    bool ActOuch = true
    bool ActSnarl = true
    bool ActCroon = true
    bool ActDying = true
    bool ActWander = true
    bool ActPursue = true
    bool ActMoveBy = true
    bool ActGetOut = true
    float Anger = 0.000000
    float DamageAnger = 0.010000
    float Hunger = 0.500000
    float Bravery = 0.200000
}
I uh, am assuming this guy went in the Plains area. That sounds neat. Moving on... Huh, there are a bunch of doors floating around together, with no submodels for physics, and no magnets. They don't do this in b116, I wonder what the rationales were. Huh... Hmm. The CSky here is "Sky_IT-00". It has the new naming scheme, and is an equilateral triangle shape. I'd almost forgotten what they looked like lol. Textured onto it is "Sky_Bch128.bmp", which is also the new naming scheme. And finally... Here you see, basement clones of foliage objs. Presumably these are for cloning and arraying into ingame areas, like I do with my own Tres mods. IT, both b96 and b116, is the only dev level I've seen to do this. I wonder why that is.
ITfoliage01.png
ITfoliage01.png (71.47 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Aaaand I'm going to call this one quits for today. That's all of IT96! Tomorrow, PV96, Pine Valley's final version... And remember. Even Nedry knew better than to mess with levels beginning with "P".

---
To Be Continued
---
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hilwo, thanks... I remember that thread, but had completely forgotten about it, that's pretty neat...
Kolibri was a weird game, in my opinion. But in a way that I liked :) Too bad it was only released on Sega 32X.
Draconisaurus wrote:The dam door - the teleportation version I mentioned above is in fact the retail version. IT96 has a different method scripted, which does not work.
Ah I see, I must have misread then :)
Draconisaurus wrote:the IT Max scenes both have the discette inside a drawer of Hammond's desk
Nice, I didn't remember which version it was. But do the IT Max scenes have the diskette in both Hammond's desk and in the secret compartment? I thought there were 2 copies on the diskette in some versions, but I could be remembering wrong.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh Hilwo you are right, "PFlppyDsk02-00" is in the secret compartment and "PFlppyDsk02-01" is in the desk. Why are both of them "02"? Hmmm...

Moving forward! Today we begin PV96/97, the last version of this level.

Starting off... That weird version of the supply box is here, with the sideways-rotating door. Can't get to the gun.
PVdoor01.jpg
PVdoor01.jpg (133.95 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Over in the valley, a jeep has been added, along with one of my favorite Hammod voiceovers:
VH69: I stepped out of the jeep and stretched my legs. The two guards attended to the wheel and for an instant I stood alone, unprotected in the Jurassic wilderness. I felt the air currents around me, heard a single tree rustle.
PVjeep01.jpg
PVjeep01.jpg (295.18 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Over by Still Pond, a new large sphere trigger is sitting ontop of the CWaterEntity:

group Trig_Dist_Dino01 = {
    string Class = "CLocationTrigger"
    int FireCount = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 1
    string Sample = "DINO-MISC-DIST-03"
    bool PlayerEnterTrigger = true
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    float MasterVolumeMin = -7.000000
    float MasterVolumeMax = -7.000000
    float Attenuation = 0.000000
}
Heard it ingame and wasn't sure if it was the Stego sitting next to me, or an ambient trigger. It's an odd place for this trigger when the dino is right there. The Hunters Camp theme trigger is no longer here - "Trig_MusicPV03-00". It is *nearly* the same scale as this ambient trigger, and positioned in a slightly different spot...

Up the ridge is the Mayan site... This time accompanied by a single raptor and a stego. The music this time is NOT the Mayan City track, but "MUSIC - PV AMBIENT", which I think suits it well. I kept thinking this was the sound that played at the top of PV in the beta (this build), but turns out not... I wonder what artistic direction Bill Brown the composer was given for this track, where the devs originally had in mind to place it... A previous PV build had it ontop of the road split leading up to the geo plant. In the covered-slot at the top of the ruin, the Quake symbol is gone, and the Trespasser letter "T" is off to the side, inaccessible. Also this is the first PV build where the terrain is shored up evenly on either side of this mini-interior space.
PVmaya01.jpg
PVmaya01.jpg (232.96 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
PVmaya02.jpg
PVmaya02.jpg (281.09 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Also, this voiceover is hanging way over the ruin, which according to the walkthrough refers to an ancient dart-shooting device and NOT the Lindstradt (apparently I forgot about this after reading the walkthrough):
Anne150: Steps on a stone in the pre-Columbian village. A brief grating of stone on stone, then nothing.
Anne150a

Must be out of darts.
The Raptor Nest looks like an actual area, this time... Never seen so many human skeletons in one place. Possibly not even in a fan mod. A lot of them have helmets, too. They took the music out of this spot for some reason... And, of course, there are a bunch of awesome new terrain objects, tho without SoundMaterials. I'll analyze this area more in TresEd.
PVraptornest01.jpg
PVraptornest01.jpg (302.67 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Aaand a raptor killed me. Starting out again, I noted that the power pylons no longer have numbers, here. Why'd they take those out? Also of course, the ridge where you could see over into an empty IJ3 was shored up.
PVpylon01.jpg
PVpylon01.jpg (316.03 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Moving ahead... the Trex shows off how his mouth texture palette is incorrect. What sort of process done by the devs, would mess up a texture palette? I'm not sure, but the Raptors here have it too, and the Raptor in TestScene116 IIRC.
PVrex01.jpg
PVrex01.jpg (306.43 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Ah yes, the infamous, invasive ridge is now here, cutting out the right road entirely, along with the streambed...
PVroad01.jpg
PVroad01.jpg (300.76 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Aaaand the area of the now-single road, has had its terrain seriously jammed up. Why did they do that? Also note, PV96 has introduced the gray-black-yellow cliff trnobjs, "TrnObjRockFace00-00". I notice that these and the Raptor Nest trnobjs are floating up in the air and not flattened around 0-elevation as per usual... Oh and, that light-brown giant felled tree used to be moveable in PV, which it no longer is.
PVterrain02.jpg
PVterrain02.jpg (341.26 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Coming up the the Geo Plant itself... We have the... some kind of pump thing sitting away from the plant. It is indeed by the KM marker, and I rediscovered that it has a SOUND not found in the retail TPAs, which I was able to hear: "Spec-Re-Injection Well01". Neat. Why did SOME geo plant sounds survive into b116? Anyway there's a little bit of writing on one of the models... At first I thought it might say "Amy", but then Tatu and I were talking and he thinks it says "A-9", which I suspect is correct.
PVgeo01.jpg
PVgeo01.jpg (305.11 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Sooooo I died trying to get into the plant... Death by door. Restarted the level, noting that PV now has the broken-wood versions of the bridges:
PVbridge03.jpg
PVbridge03.jpg (300 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Inside the plant, I met this other pump, again with its own sound - "Spec-Steam Pump Run". It, too, appears to have technical writing on the texture, presumably put there by plant workers:
PVgeo02.jpg
PVgeo02.jpg (232.54 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
I know this one gets struggled with a lot but over the years I seem to have been able to do it several times. Yeah this needles get messed up a little sometimes but it does basically work, and I find this to be particularly awesome... I'll analyze how it works later.
PVgeo03.jpg
PVgeo03.jpg (92.65 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Went around and did all the surviving puzzles. The ah, reservoir has another sound of its own, "Spec-Small Pump Run". ...Oh machf, I haven't listened to those SPEC- START/RUN/STOP missing sounds yet, could they be the cooling tower propellars? Anyway, "Spec-Re-Injection Well 02" is played by a missing puzzle over by the exit bridge (btw, the entrance bridge no longer falls via gunshot). Then that tower next to the control building is apparently the condensor. Never realized it was meant to have a puzzle... I can't tell what that puzzle would have been. But it has its own sound - "Spec-Steam Condenser Run". Anyway, I finished the extant puzzles and got all the lights to be green. Yaayyy.
PVgeo04.jpg
PVgeo04.jpg (250.38 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
So, moving out of the plant... Does everyone remember those two bridges, out between the plant and the Harbor? Well I could SWEAR that they didn't work. Odd fact that they are both in the down-position to start, anyway, so you don't need the puzzle part. But you CAN lower and raise them with the button on the side. ??? That is pretty neat, I'll have to find out how they do that.
PVbridge04.jpg
PVbridge04.jpg (306.68 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
PVbridge05.jpg
PVbridge05.jpg (284.75 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Last but not least, the new bus stop at the Harbor gate... The buttons appear to work just fine. The gate doesn't open itself but the left door does become swingable, at least with a gun. There were, hmm, 3 Trikes in this level? Seems like a lot.
PVroad02.jpg
PVroad02.jpg (176.56 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
That's all for today, folks. Tomorrow we dig into PV96 inside TresEd and see what all interesting triggers and things there are to find. See you then!

---
To Be Continued
---
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: Went around and did all the surviving puzzles. The ah, reservoir has another sound of its own, "Spec-Small Pump Run". ...Oh machf, I haven't listened to those SPEC- START/RUN/STOP missing sounds yet, could they be the cooling tower propellars?
Nope, those have their own sound, present in builds 55, 96, 97, 99 and 103:

051AAAD2 "SPEC-Cooling Tower Fan"
The unidentified ones sound like some small electrical motor... a can opener or something similar.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh okay, interesting..

Okay then, please put your your seats and tray-tables in their upright and locked positions: it's on to PV96/97, TresEd edition. 8)

First off, I notice that between PV55 and PV116, the PV gate magnets had ZFree removed. So, the doors are officially closed. Also, "Trig_VH49-00" has been updated to play "VC H49 - A154":
VC H49 - A154
John: As we left, we vandalized our own locking mechanisms. InGen tolerates no trespassers.
Anne: Not until now.
Am unclear why combined-voiceovers were a thing. Possibly they never figured out that CDelay's timer begins immediately after its action comes up, which does not wait for the previous action's action to finish (meaning you must add the duration of the first voiceover, onto the Delay value, for it to work as you intend).

That odd terrain-set trigger is still here at the top of the mountain... "MUSIC - REVEAL OF LANDSCAPE" still plays as you walk down the road. That "VGiantTreerunk00-00" object with the separate branch models is still here, though partially buried now.. and, the invisible, non-moveable F-physics are gone. Finally, the road itself has Raptors. Actually I think this is the first PV build we have with any Raptors in it.

Speaking of Raptors... Here's a fun thing. As you go down the road, around where the gate is in demo you will see this:
PVraptor01.png
PVraptor01.png (550.03 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
That is, a Raptor teleportdestination object... with an anchor, and this trigger (all of which, are floating a few meteres off the ground):

group TrigReGenHitPointsBLAH = {
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int BoundVol = 1
    bool CreatureInTrigger = true
    int ActionType = 17
    string ObjectName = "RaptorB03-00"
    float HitPoints = 75.000000
}
So basically a raptor gets teleported here, heals as he falls through the air onto the ground (intensionally..), and has an anchor to StayNear. Looking for the raptor, I found him, a ways off into the valley. Notice how he is rotated a little backwards... In my experience, non-Z rotation of CAnimals makes them be bent in awkward positions ingame. They can't really fix themselves.
PVraptor02.png
PVraptor02.png (586.3 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
And then, I found the trigger which does the actual teleporting. It's huuuuge. And again, with the odd name - "TrigTportDeadRaptorBLAH". But basically, when Anne leaves this trigger, the Raptor gets teleported and then the other trigger sets hits hitpoints to full again. In one version, the Player encounters this raptor after descending the road to the bottom and curving backward into the valley, kills it, goes further into the valley and leaves the trigger, teleporting the raptor and healing it; the Player then goes back to the road, and around finding the road again will re-encountered this fully-healed raptor, now at the correct rotation thanks to teleport specifics. Hmm. Another version is where the Player starts out with the same experience, but then after killing the raptor the first time, goes up into the Mayan/Raptor Nest areas and then, upon finding the road, IF for some strange reason they had back towards the start, they'll find the raptor waiting for them on the other side of the level's first bridge. It's.. slightly odd? Sorta specific.
PVraptor03.png
PVraptor03.png (385.7 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
Over in the PreColonialVillage, parts of the ruins have now been converted into terrain details/textures. Meh I still liked it the other way. Note that there is 1 Raptor and 1 Stego in this area... whereas before there were no dinosaurs in the area. Despite the newness of this addition, we have the prerelease image below, which appears to show the PreColonialVillage in the background. This is quite interesting, as it likely indicates early planning for AI locations, as specific as "two Raptors and a Stego by the PCV", long before they went and put such things in the actual levels. I wonder what sort of file this was notated in, waiting months into playable level development before it finally got implemented. Hmm.
screen15gc.jpg
screen15gc.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
The area to the West of the "village" has been plowed down... Used to be, there was a massive hill here, to the point where you wouldn't even think to go that direction, in a retail level. But it was the passage to the Raptor Nest.. so, they leveled it out and made it more obvious as a direction of exploration. Good thing. Although, the terrain in this spot is pretty crude, very low-detail.

And finally, the Raptor Nest actually has stuff. Here's a list of the invisible objects in the area:

"TrigRapNestRegenC-00"
"TrigRapNestSummon-00"
"TrigRapNestRegenA-00"
"TrigRapNestRegenB-00"
"TeleportDestRapNestB-00"
"TeleportDestRapNestC-00"
"TeleportDestRapNestA-00"
Three teleport destinations... "Summon" teleports 3 Raptors to A, B, and C. The other three triggers each go to a specific Raptor; if that Raptor dies, first the trigger waits 10 seconds, then teleports it back to its original landing spot, then heals it to 50 HP (instead of the 75 they start with). It's a rather interesting scripted event that I don't remember seeing the likes of in b116. Double-wave of raptor teleportation/heal. Sounds pretty intense.

And this set of trnobjs... Just beautiful. I am thinking perhaps, it may actually come from a slew of such sets, that were around when early promotional imagery was made... Possibly, it was discarded with all the others during early PV level creation, then this one was added back in by itself when they wanted to make the Raptor Nest interesting.
PVraptornest02.png
PVraptornest02.png (805.97 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
The area just after the nest, in all previous builds was just a sloping terrain, nothing special. Then here in b96, we see that they added in some structural detail. Not quite like the streambed, off to the right in this image, but still with some substance of its own. It's also got some of those cliff trnobjs. I like it.
PVterrain03.jpg
PVterrain03.jpg (786.41 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
Still not sure why this area of terrain was made so uneven... I guess there's a slim chance they tried to put that one structure in. They DID wait until b96 to put that out-of-compound pump model in.
PVterrain04.jpg
PVterrain04.jpg (550.8 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
Huh wha... So that pump thing outside the plant. Apparently when you turn the wheel, it teleports 3 Raptors in an ambush:

"TrigResAmbush1001-00"
"TrigResAmbush1003-00"
"TrigResAmbush1002-00"
I never noticed them, all the times I've done that puzzle :| Anyway the pump itself... Kinda neat, it teleports a bunch of CWaterEntities around, making different spots have more water than they start with. I didn't know CWaterEntity was teleportable, that's nice. And it sets the light for the reservoir indicator to green in the control building.

At the Geo Plant itself, the stairs still have those odd objects from Max that the dev keeps missing...

"Upper railing01"
"Sstep02-00"
"Sstep01-00"
Now there's a single stair mesh that has the whole thing. These ones above are now duplicating parts of the main model... Moving on, the main gate of the plant is now the JR version, with the hook things, instead of the PV entrance version. Also the wall physics here is called "FTempWallBox3-00", apparently they never did replace the "temporary" physics of the wall... The music trigger which plays "MUSIC - GEO PLANT COURTYARD" is sticking too far out beyond the wall, causing the music to play even before you finish the puzzle at the gate to get inside. Eh. There's still a terrain trigger inside the gate.. Huh lots of sound triggers in here, that's nice. "Scndnsr01-00" is now a higher-poly mesh compared to the last version, and no longer fits as snugly with the catwalk. Oh, Tatu noticed that this build has no walkway physics in PV. In fact, there are no invisible F instances, BUT the entire mesh has been broken into separate, box-shaped parts which are each individually physical. No idea why they chose to do this, and it's the only place I've seen it in Trespasser.
PVgeo05.jpg
PVgeo05.jpg (446.9 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
Sooo finally, the turbine shed puzzle. Going to see if I can actually figure out how it works...
PVgeo06.jpg
PVgeo06.jpg (378.62 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
So, the needle. Apparently all 3 are instances of one, with a relatively fat physics submodel and a magnet:

group MNeedleHinge-00 = {
    string Class = "CMagnet"
    float Friction = 2.000000
    float Drive = 0.000000
    bool Instance = true
    string MasterObject = "PNeedleGauge01-00"
}
Now, there is a CLocationTrigger which detects if the first needle enters the green zone. It does nothing but fire. Ontop of it is another trigger, which is interesting:

group TrigGauge1WinPos-00 = {
    string FireCondition = "!@TrigGaugeWinLatch-00"
    bool ObjectEnterTrigger = true
    bool ObjectLeaveTrigger = true
    string TriggerActivate = "PNeedleGauge01-00"
    bool PointTrigger = false
    int BoundVol = 1
    group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 27
        string TriggerName = "TrigGaugeWinLatch-00"
        bool Toggle = true
    }
}
First thing to note.. It has BOTH ObjectEnterTrigger and ObjectLeaveTrigger. I think I always assumed the engine couldn't do this, but it makes sense here... Next, it Toggles a CVariableTrigger which is sitting right above it. That.. I've tried using the Toggle value before without success. Maybe they got it to work. It would certainly be useful. Anyway that CVariableTrigger starts out as false.. Meaning, if the needle enters the spot, it the value becomes true, and if it leaves the spot, it becomes false.

The red zone has 3 triggers. Here's one:

group TrigResetGauge4 = {
    string TriggerActivate = "PNeedleGauge01-00"
    int BoundVol = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 3
    int ProcessStyle = 3
    float SequenceDelayMax = 0.500000
    float SequenceDelayMin = 0.500000
    group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 27
        string TriggerName = "TrigResetLatch-00"
        bool Value = true
    }
    group Action01 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        bool Merge = true
        bool Enable = true
        float Drive = -10.000000
    }
    group Action02 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        bool Merge = true
        bool Enable = true
        float Drive = 0.000000
    }
    group Action03 = {
        int ActionType = 27
        string TriggerName = "TrigResetLatch-00"
        bool Value = false
    }
}
Still haven't figured out what PointTrigger means, going to be testing that eventually. This one starts out by setting a different CVariableTrigger to true, then giving the needle's magnet a Drive of -10.0, presumably needed to slow it down (rather than setting it to 0.0, which it's already at). 0.5 seconds later it sets that magnet's Drive to 0.0 again, and 0.5 seconds after THAT it sets that second CVariableTrigger to false, which is the value it started at. Hmm I should note that "SequenceDelayMin" and "SequenceDelayMax" are not, according to the T-Script reference, recognized by CLocationTrigger. They might be, I'd need to test. It's odd, setting both of those in this trigger to 0.5... Normally you'd just set "RepeatPeriod" to 0.5. The other two trigger boxes at this spot do the same Drive manipulation on the other needles to the right. Hmmm there is a box physics at an angle, to stop the needle on either extreme of the dial. As well, a big one over the handles to stop THEM from turning all the way around.

The other two needles have a single trigger each, looking like this:

group TrigUnfreezeGauge1 = {
    string TriggerActivate = "PNeedleGauge01-01"
    int BoundVol = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 3
    int ActionType = 20
    bool Enable = true
    bool ZFree = true
}
Hmm ah, handy to know. The magnet for the needle(s) starts out without a _Free value. Apparently either the second or third guage is needed; push the needle of either one all the way to the right, to make the first needle moveable. At least, that's what this script looks like. Just went ingame, and, the first needle rotates just fine, if you only touch it and not the others... ?_? Hmmm. For the handle itself, here is the script:

group MValveHandle-00 = {
    string Class = "CMagnet"
    bool ZFree = true
    float AngleMin = -75.000000
    float AngleMax = 75.000000
    bool Instance = true
    string MasterObject = "PValveHandle-00"
}
It sets AngleMin and AngleMax, which is fun. However, I remember not being able to get these to work in the past, I think? And, judging by the physical stop-box above these handles, I think the script wasn't working here, either. ..Hmm. This handle, not only has a rotation CMagnet, but a HandPickup CMagnet. Didn't know that was allowed. I'm used to assuming that Tres doesn't like multiple magnets on things lol.

Finally, there are 3 large boxes around the area where the Player stands. Here's one:

group TrigGaugeFourTurn-00 = {
    string FireExpression = "!@TrigResetLatch-00"
    int BoundVol = 1
    bool PlayerInTrigger = true
    group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        string Query = "PValveHandle-00"
        float Drive = -4.000000
        bool Enable = true
        bool Merge = true
    }
}
A truly fascinating trigger. machf, take note... the word "Query" is not mentioned even once in the T-Script reference. It's evidently what allows the lever to manipulate the needle's rotation with a separate object. I had no idea. Should test how this value works in future. And again, the reference doesn't say how "Merge" has anything to do with CMagnet. Also this trigger won't fire unless TrigResetLatch-00 is false, which is its starting value. The other two box triggers here do the same for the other two levers, but with progressively smaller negative Drive values. Finally is a taller box trigger for the Player which gives the magnet of "PNeedleGauge01-03" ZFree. The matter of when these needles get a free-rotation-axis still puzzles me.

Anyway! That was exciting. Always wondered how this worked. We discovered the unknown value of Query (though it was already buried inside the Geomadd Known Values text file from the EXE string dump), and have had demonstrated to us how to do a working Tres needle. As a note, these needles do... veer-off-course during gameplay, but remain mostly-functional. PV's quite an interesting level.

That's all for this Tuesday. Tune in tomorrow when Albert Einstein will go over the scientific details of the newly discovered cooling tower triggers work.

---
To Be Continued
---
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Okay! We have a bit of a delayed start today from a couple things but now we're in business. Time to continue with b96/97 - we now return in TresEd to the final version of Pine Valley.

Hum... Odd note. The control building, has metal rafters just under the roof, inside, without an actual ceiling to prevent their view from below. However at one spot, there are physics for rafters but no visible mesh. I checked and it's the same in all builds of PV. Am assuming it was taken out so as to not interfere with the Player descending from the skylight, but there is another rafter right next to the skylight on the opposite side. Slightly confusing. So.. You're all aware of the puzzle, where you push the soda machine into the front door here and it opens up. The script itself doesn't do anything to make this happen... AFAICT it's just a matter of the soda machine being heavy enough to budge the weight of the door models. ...As important as the control room seems to be, it doesn't actually appear to DO anything. It's a neat way to LOOK at all kinds of things but I'm pretty sure you can avoid this room and complete the puzzles needed to progress through into LAB. Too bad.. Looks like they had big plans. Still no idea what that openable door on the computer was for. Ah, I'm gonna record all the dials and meters here so we can see them all at once (roughly left to right across the consoles):

-TURBINE-
STEAM INFLOW (10^? lb/h)
STEAM OUTFLOW (10^? lb/h)
GENERATOR FREQUENCY (Hz)

-CONDENSER-
INFLOW PRESSURE (___)
TEMPERATURE (°F)

-TRANSFORMERS-
POWER (MW)
OUTPUT VOLTAGE (kV)

-RESERVOIR-
WATER DEPTH (ft)
WATER TEMPERATURE (°F)

-WELLHEAD-
STEAM FLOW (lb/h)
STEAM PRESSURE (___)

-REINJECTION-
STEAM FLOW (lb/h)
STEAM PRESSURE (___)

-COOLING TOWER-
INTERNAL RESERVOIR DEPTH (ft)
INTERNAL AIR TEMPERATURE (°F)
EXTERNAL AIR TEMPERATURE (°F)
Pretty neat.. I checked, the texture upscale does not reveal what the missing measurements are. Just kinda scrambles them. Hmm I could research this a bit further but won't... I wonder what it would be like, to see working dials for all these. Thinking about it now, it wouldn't be that difficult. Basically static needles, that teleport once their connected puzzle is completed. Anyway, I'm not planning on recreating PV at this point. Maybe TI or Tatu would want to do this part.

The transformers... Now with full scripting. The scripts attempt to make the "SPEC-TRANSFORMER DOWN" sound play when one or the other lever is pulled, and "SPEC-TRANSFORMER RUN" play after both buttons have been pressed, but it doesn't quite work. Typical Tres script complexness etc. Fun thing, the levers use an AT I've not seen used before, though it may be in a retail level where I missed it:

group TrigFrankSwitchRelease-00 = {
    string TriggerActivate = "Sfrankswitch01-00"
    int BoundVol = 1
    int FireCount = 1
    int ActionType = 32
    bool PutDownObject = true
}
Theoretically this trigger makes the Player stop holding the lever once it reaches halfway down, where it falls the rest of the way.. I can't tell ingame if the trigger is working, or if Anne lets go because of a too-extreme grab angle. Here is AT32, which I can't remember using in any of my mods yet:
ActionType 32 = "CControlPlayerAction"
Make player perform an action.

Type Name Default Description
bool PutDownObject false? Forces player to drop item currently in hand?
I imagine there may be other accepted values for this AT, but they're not listed currently. machf, I don't suppose the Source has anything to say here... Hmm oh, once again, these levers have both a rotation CMagnet and a HandPickup CMagnet. Anyway the script overall is pretty straight-forward.

Anyway that's it for Geo Plant analysis. IIRC some of the sounds in PV96 are still missing from the b96 TPA file, not sure why. Wonder what they sound like. Oh one last thing heh... The moat drawbridge things. "PPVDamWall01-00". What do we think? Despite the bottom faces being cut out (which may have been present previously), do we think this was planned to be functional at some point? I think it's possible. Even though, the early builds don't include this model. The early builds don't include the exterior reservoir pump, either, but it's in the early PV Max Scene screenshots. Hmm btw this model is not in those screens. Anyway, possibly it was meant to work at one point. If it existed far back enough, I bet it was considered an of-course-it'll-work, considering they wanted to put as many physical operations in the game as possible...

IIII don't really need to go over the two streambed bridges. I covered those in the playthrough; they work surprisingly well. I didn't know Drive could be used to lift such a huge object. Small question remains if this setup still works when the bridge begins in an up-position. I may test that. ...Huh.. one of the triggers uses:

group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        string MasterObject = "SMechDrawBridge-01"
        bool Enable = true
    }
..to stop the bridge as it lifts up. ENABLE a CMagnet to stop something moving? Perhaps this is a sort of "reset" function? Still figuring that out. I'm very unclear. In IT, "Enable" is used to allow the security door to be openable, to move freely on ZFree. Ugh. Hence why I use the Frozen boolean. Anyway I'll experiment with Enable and see what I can come up with.

Hmmm... Remember that spot, where the early builds had the PV road stop, then PV55 had the weird texture glitch on the part that was added leading toward the gate? In PV22/32, the road texture here was named "TPV_PvRd02t2.bmp". In PV55 that trnobj has the same name but instead has a new, familiar version of the texture, and then the new trnobj next to it has "TPV_PvRd03t2.bmp" which is evidently supposed to look about the same but instead is one of the crossroad textures in some sort of texture naming mistake. Finally, in PV96, trnobjs on both sides of the transition use a new texture, "TPV_PvRd09t2.bmp" (which as it seems is a new name from the fact that it conforms to the later version of pine terrain base texture). Moving on, the final area of shoreline (not the earlier part) has a series of 3 AI boxes in the format "AI_Shoreline0-00", presumably for the Stego and Trike in the area. Huh IIRC it's actually quite rare to see two herbivores next to each other, probably because they usually have so many raptors around. Hmm there are two invisible ActStayNear anchors here, one called "AnchorBigFight" and the other called "TrikeEndofLevel". Ohhh.. an herbivore VS herbivore fight! :| Fascinating. Duh... Apparently the Stego doesn't work:

group Steg02-00 = {
    bool ActStayNear = true
    string StayNearTarget = "AnchorBigFight"
    float StayNearMax = 75.000000
    float StayNearOK = 10.000000
}
Poor stego has some odd things happen to him. Probably he likes to stay out of things because the devs never got his tail to work.

The Anne VO about power being out is still here -
VA167: This used to be powered. Looks dead now...
- and the script makes no reference to the Geo Plant puzzle, a simple error. VA168 has been removed. Huh... "PHKVP-01" is in the Supply Locker, here. In b116 LAB, this locker with this gun is still here but it's named "PHKVP-72-". Why it got a different number, why such a HIGH number... and why a dash at the end, I've no idea. TresEd doesn't recognize it as an instance of "PHKVP-00" but Trespasser does. I found out years ago that any time a model exists that ends in "-", any models which fit the name scheme and are different at that point in the name, will be turned into instances of that "-" instance.. Ehh it's complicated but it gets funny, I had to rename some objects back in the JPDS days because of it. Hmmm and... the power pylons don't extend all the way to the plant, and the powerlines don't go all the way into the plant; the powerlines pick up again going down the shoreline, again not connecting to the plant itself.

On to the basement!

First, the TerrainPlacement cube. Let's go ahead and review all the PV ones (including demo), as I've just discovered it gets a bit interesting. In order:

b22
TPVBaset2.22.jpg
TPVBaset2.22.jpg (10.39 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
b32
TPVBaset2.32.jpg
TPVBaset2.32.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
b55
TPVBaset2.55.jpg
TPVBaset2.55.jpg (35.45 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
b96
TPVBaset2.96.jpg
TPVBaset2.96.jpg (24.79 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
demo
TPVBaset2.117.jpg
TPVBaset2.117.jpg (22.45 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
So, the first one, b22, has a very pixelated brown texture of some kind. Even looks like JPG compression. Then, b32 has a blurry version of the original PV dirt texture, at 256x256. Then, the b55 texture is interesting. It has that favorite island of Tatu's, out beyond the Harbor, but b55 does not. In addition, PV32 DOES have this island ingame but the shoreline trnobjs are different, and the roads leading to the Harbor are absent:
PVterrain05.jpg
PVterrain05.jpg (175.61 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
Further analyzing, the b55 base texture does not show the hexagon trnobjs ("Trnobj_cycgrass01-00"). If you drag and drop the various base textures into a single browser tab, you can flick back and forth to see other differences, such as colors and general irregularities. The Raptor Nest trnobjs do show up in the PV96 and demo base textures. Also, the b55 base texture *might* be missing some of the roads inside the Geo Plant, it's unclear. And, that's pretty much it for analysis on these.

Ahhhh and Tatu and I just spent 20 minutes going over the ancient PV terrain file that was recovered from the source code. It's highly interesting, I'll post some analysis tomorrow. That's it for today everyone! See you tomorrow! STAY OUT OF THE LONG GRASS

---
To Be Continued
---
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I've always wondered if these textures:
PVraptornest02.png
PVraptornest02.png (805.97 KiB) Viewed 6584 times
were originally from the terrain shown in these images:
PCGamesRaptorImage1.jpg
PCGamesRaptorImage1.jpg (161.47 KiB) Viewed 6584 times
(BTW, we need to add this one to our library, it's from that PC Games article in German)

Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Click on Image
Draconisaurus wrote:Then, the b55 texture is interesting. It has that favorite island of Tatu's, out beyond the Harbor, but b55 does not. In addition, PV32 DOES have this island ingame but the shoreline trnobjs are different, and the roads leading to the Harbor are absent
Which means it probably corresponded to build 40-something, maybe... as I've said, I'd love to get oe of those builds.
Draconisaurus wrote:Ahhhh and Tatu and I just spent 20 minutes going over the ancient PV terrain file that was recovered from the source code. It's highly interesting, I'll post some analysis tomorrow.
Hmmm, I wonder if the terrain from those screenshots might match the one in those files. They used it for that MPEG video trailer, after all. And my suspicion is that it may have been on som version of PV, after all...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Ahhhh and Tatu and I just spent 20 minutes going over the ancient PV terrain file that was recovered from the source code. It's highly interesting, I'll post some analysis tomorrow.
Hmmm, I wonder if the terrain from those screenshots might match the one in those files. They used it for that MPEG video trailer, after all. And my suspicion is that it may have been on som version of PV, after all...

It have many similarities with the terrain seen in the early PV 3ds Max image. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

That raptor is actually Deinonychus from TLW: JP game for PS1.
Attachments
zohlus4cpc341.png
zohlus4cpc341.png (217.25 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
tatu

Post by tatu »

Velociraptor Alfa wrote:That raptor is actually Deinonychus from TLW: JP game for PS1.
Yeah, it is pretty cool that they re-rigged it for Trespasser. We found that out just a few days ago from a Lost World movie magazine:
Click on Image

Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

Yeah, it is pretty cool that they re-rigged it for Trespasser. We found that out just a few days ago from a Lost World movie magazine
I think that in all three pictures is the same model with the same pose.
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Ok, this is what I feared: Drac has included so many large images on each of his posts, that the topic can't be properly displayed without the browser giving an error. Time to split it into smaller ones.