Trying to get my hands on the hi res dinosaur models

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Trying to get my hands on the hi res dinosaur models

Post by glitchhunter09 »

So everybody knows them. The hi res pre-release dinosaur models we saw in most previews. I'm asking around to try and get them from one of the former devs. Seamus said the best to ask would be Rolf Mohr or Kyle Mckinsic. I don't think Seamus has a lot of assets from the game. if he does, they're probably buried somewhere like the prototypes he had were and I doubt he wants to go willingly dig them up for fans. (not that he hates us mind you, I just don't think he has the time to go digging through stuff unless he has a reason to.)

I've been trying to get in contact with Mohr on twitter but thus far he hasn't replied. Mckinsic's twitter is pretty much dead, probably because he's got better things to do (the guy's a cook now iirc). I messaged him anyway just in case there was the off chance he replied.

You guys probably already know this but this guy's head texture is actually bundled with the Trespasser source code for some reason.
I think the hi res Rex's is too.

edit: apparently Rolf DID like my post, so he must have at least read it. But no such luck yet getting him to actually reply. I'll try again. Don't want him to feel like I'm harassing him though.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trying to get my hands on the hi res dinosaur models

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, I had no idea head textures were in the source. What all such images are there in it?

Definitely talk with Tatu about dev contact - he's the one in charge of that 'round here 8)
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

well I did get a lead from Rolf. He said that Jay Jang was in charge of the character modelling and stuff, so he may still have him. Trouble is, there's no Jay Jang on twitter and I'm not even going to try going through facebook. There's probably a crapload of Jays and I'd have to sort through literally all of them.

Another person to ask would be Terry Izumi, since he was a lead artist. Problem is, I can't find him either. Judging by Trespasser being the only game listed for him on Moby games, it's possible he left the industry altogether.

as for the images that came with the source, there's the test level heightmaps, an old version of Pine Valley's heightmap (which iirc comes in two sizes strangely enough), The hi-res T-rex head texture, the hi res raptor A head texture, a bunch of random test textures that seem to be from other games (well not counting one, which may be used for one of the mayan locations ingame, I'd have to look), and last but not least, a placeholder texture for the sky that the devs used as a placeholder for when the skies wouldn't work. (it has a crudely written in paint message "If you see me the sky isn't working". I've included the entire Bindata folder that has all this stuff as an attachment below if anyone wants to take a look.
Attachments
BinData.zip
(355.68 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Like Draco said, I've been in contact with most of the devs.

Jay Jang created all the dinosaur models. Terry Izumi, apparently he made the concept art images we have (the pencils ones without colours), but sadly non of these two have anything left from this game.

Is it something the community is lacking overall is that we have very few concept art from the game that comes from a dev.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

The models may be lost forever then. Unless there's a dev you haven't contacted yet.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I believe I have been in contact with most devs, and other people that worked there. I guess the years we never really asked for stuff allowed time to tear down any backups they had sadly.

Don't worry, I still "spam" some of the devs from time to time anyway in case they would have found something in a dark box, somewhere in their garage ;)

If you ever need any help in contacting any of the devs, feel free to PM me Glitch, I am happy to help with whatever info I have :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

well at the very least, we have the head textures (see my attachment in one of the posts above and in the Tres source code) for two of the hi-res dinos I guess. Not sure about the Raptor head but I think the T-rex's hi-res textures came from official Lost World renders of the bull t-rex.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I am not sure if these even existed in proper high quality models, at least not in-game. The image you posted is clearly the long-clawed raptor and the T-Rex in the source appears to be related to some palette thing, I don't think it was ever part of a texture sadly. I think the early Green T-Rex was just a placeholder/test, like the Parasaurus.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Still, nice find, thanks! And I do think that Rex head is the same image as that used for the texture... Tatu could you post the texture of the alpha build green rex?