Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Post by Draconisaurus »

Don't sweat it.. I'm still impressed with your patience and determination for such a project. Are you considering doing other kinds of mods after this?
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well if it's any consolation, several Tres development team members have said Tresed is better than what they had to work with. GUI app, while useful isn't exactly terribly easy to use.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Draconisaurus wrote:Don't sweat it.. I'm still impressed with your patience and determination for such a project. Are you considering doing other kinds of mods after this?
To be honest. I dont have any plans after finishing this patch/pack. I am not against the idea but... right now I am feeling burned out. Perhaps in the future.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Whenever you feel inspired!
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I was recently looking through JPDS for models converted from the dev's unused 3DS model packs we have. I found the wooden desk drawers, saloon chairs, and the fridge. I plan on adding those in. I also found JPDS used some other models in very similar ways to what I did. The leather chair from the betas was given a magnet so it can swivel. Then it was placed with the end table from the test level. Its funny how I did the very same thing. I also found that JPDS used Hamond's black desk from the Lab. Both of us flipped the computer door on the left to cover the drawer opening on the right with another door instead of drawers. JPDS made it into a safe and I didn't but, still strikingly similar. I just found that curious and kind of funny.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

LCountach wrote:I was recently looking through JPDS for models converted from the dev's unused 3DS model packs we have. I found the wooden desk drawers, saloon chairs, and the fridge. I plan on adding those in. I also found JPDS used some other models in very similar ways to what I did. The leather chair from the betas was given a magnet so it can swivel. Then it was placed with the end table from the test level. Its funny how I did the very same thing. I also found that JPDS used Hamond's black desk from the Lab. Both of us flipped the computer door on the left to cover the drawer opening on the right with another door instead of drawers. JPDS made it into a safe and I didn't but, still strikingly similar. I just found that curious and kind of funny.
JPDS also have physics for the Triceratops skeleton found in Pine Valley, might be worth using ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

tatu wrote:JPDS also have physics for the Triceratops skeleton found in Pine Valley, might be worth using ;)
Thanks for the tip. I did some checking and I did make the tric skeleton tangible and movable. However I didn't add any sub physics objects for the complex shapes like the skull and ribs. I will surely look into adding those subs in.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Another question. I am wanting to import/create two types of water. First I want to export/import the animated ocean model from a level like the Beach or Lab. I remember reading a long time ago that you need to export some sort of animation strip with models like that. Could someone please give me instructions on exactly what I need to do to import/export working animated models like water?

Second, I would like to put water under the Ops Center in the town. Similar to how the movie had it. I am unsure how to make water like that. I have tried scaling up models like Wu's pool water but it glitches out. Can someone please explain how to make that type of water too?

Thanks in advance.

Also a little progress update. I have finished fixing my plant mistake on Pine Valley and the Town so far. I still need to fix the Lab and Accent levels.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

LCountach wrote:Another question. I am wanting to import/create two types of water. First I want to export/import the animated ocean model from a level like the Beach or Lab. I remember reading a long time ago that you need to export some sort of animation strip with models like that. Could someone please give me instructions on exactly what I need to do to import/export working animated models like water?
The ocean water DOESN'T use a set of animated textures; it uses scrolling textures instead.
Confused?
Animated textures are like cartoons, you have a set of (up to 30) different frames which are then "flipped" using an ActionType inside the t-scripts, usually using a trigger.
Scrolling textures, OTOH, consists of a single texture applied to an object, with displacement parameters for the X and Y axis applied on the same objects' t-scripts.

Second, I would like to put water under the Ops Center in the town. Similar to how the movie had it. I am unsure how to make water like that. I have tried scaling up models like Wu's pool water but it glitches out. Can someone please explain how to make that type of water too?
Well, it's mostly trial and error at this time, as there appears to be a limit of some sort to the size of a wate robject or its polygons...
I'm sure I *have* seen water under the Ops Center in some version of the Town, though...
Thanks in advance.

Also a little progress update. I have finished fixing my plant mistake on Pine Valley and the Town so far. I still need to fix the Lab and Accent levels.
Keep it up.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:
LCountach wrote:Second, I would like to put water under the Ops Center in the town. Similar to how the movie had it. I am unsure how to make water like that. I have tried scaling up models like Wu's pool water but it glitches out. Can someone please explain how to make that type of water too?
Well, it's mostly trial and error at this time, as there appears to be a limit of some sort to the size of a wate robject or its polygons...
I'm sure I *have* seen water under the Ops Center in some version of the Town, though...
Yes, even the retail Town have a water object under the Ops Center ;)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

tatu wrote:
machf wrote:
LCountach wrote:Second, I would like to put water under the Ops Center in the town. Similar to how the movie had it. I am unsure how to make water like that. I have tried scaling up models like Wu's pool water but it glitches out. Can someone please explain how to make that type of water too?
Yes, even the retail Town have a water object under the Ops Center ;)
I smell a large-patch build 117 fun-thing...
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I think the water was already under the Ops building without the official big patch?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Yep, and in Build 96 and the big patch didn't remove it.

LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I am a bit confused. You guys seem to be talking about water under the Ops center I dont know about. The only water I have found there is a small puddle. I was wanting to fill it to form that sort of moat we caught a glimpse of in JP2. I have failed so far. Scaling any reactive water object causes the ripples to scale up too (unrealistically). It also causes the water to turn bright white in software render mode. I am not sure how to fix it. Is there a water model already sized to fill the pit under the Ops center in some "Big Patch" somewhere? I have checked in many builds and only found the puddle.

The ocean model is another experiment. I was putting it by the dam to see what it looked like. I have never liked the vast dry lake bed by the dam. I added the ocean water in there up to the flood gate line where the skeleton and guns are hidden. If the player crawled inside, they could see the water on the other side of the grate. If they went up the road just past the dam. They could see there was still some water in the lake. It only looks "ok" and I am not sure what to do with it either.

From what was descried, there are three types of water. Reactive water where the player or objects touch it and it shows ripples. Ocean water that uses a single texture that moves over the surface controlled by scripting. Lastly there is animated water that uses a strip of frames or something. I understand the concept of the frames. However, I am unable to figure out how it works in Trespasser in exporting/importing. I need to know that process.

Any help on obtaining or making reactive water under the Ops center would be welcome. I was able to export/import working ocean models. However, exporting/importing the frame animated water I haven't figured out.

EDIT: OK.... I have no idea why but... I just gave it another try and copied the model for Wu's pool water and scaled it up under the Ops Center. For some reason it worked. No idea why it worked but, we now have water under there.
tatu

Post by tatu »

The puddle is what we are referring to, yes.

You could try and import one of the water objects found in PV at the GeoPlant, it should be big enough. Otherwise creating a new one in a modelling software.

For the ocean model: Take a look how Draco did it in JPDS. I forgot the name of that level but it is in Trails or Forest or whatever the name is.

It is all based on a script. The Reactive water is just a simple tscript to tell what type of "trigger" it is. Ocean water is just a flat object with a script applied to tell it to move in a certain direction in X amount of speed. The same applies for the last one but it got an opacity texture added to it so it looks transparent (BE start water). Non of them changes texture like an animated texture would do (like the waterfalls). So basically the ocean and the "animated" water is just a texture that is moving, not changing.